“Portland's Best!”

Cuisines: American
Woodburn, Oregon
“Portland's Best!”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Fanno Creek pub has some of the best beers and some great food. The menu may not be extensive, but the scottish egg and the hot wings are fabulous! We have been going since they opened and we recommend them to everyone! It's small, family friendly and is friendly with excellent service!

You wanna go where everyone knows your name - they will remember you!

• Visited October 2012

Portland, Oregon
“Good beer. But....”
Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

Max's is nothing to get too excited about as far as restaurants go. But it fills a very necessary void in the Tigard area-- a brewpub for enjoying beer and pub food that caters to the family. Tigard is woefully lacking in dining options for families and particularly in the ubiquitous brewpub genre that is so much a part of Oregon culture.

The beer is the foundation on which Max's is built. Their beers are crafty and improving in quality with every visit. Unfortunately, as others have pointed out, the service can be weak and far too slow regardless of the number of diners.... Although rushes seem to really slow the kitchen down compounding the problem. I haven't found anything on the menu that is memorable, the food is just food. It doesn't aim to impress. The lunch menu however is affordable and satisfies that niche with half salads and soup and 1/2 sandwich deals.

One thing about Max's that is cuckoo is its interior. It's got scenic murals. It's got paper lanterns. A weirdly unsettling silhouette of see sawing children fills a children's play area corral. There are flat screens for gaming systems and sofas, pine booths, tall bar tables and a big ol' brass eagle. It's too weird to be called eclectic...way to weird.

Max's is just, despite its design foibles, the sorta place that is nice to have close by for a beer or quick bite when you don't feeli like cooking. I just keep hoping it will work a little harder to improve the food and service so that the beer isn't the best thing going for it. Good beer is nice, but more attention to details could really benefit Max's.

Roseburg, Oregon
“Delicious Beer and T-Shirts”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Stopped here on Saturday September 22, 2012. My husband and I both ordered beer. I had the X IPA, which was floral, deliciously hoppy, a tad perfectly bitter and quite yummy overall. My husband had a weizen which he claimed tasted soapy. It was Happy Hour so for half price we ordered their hummus plate (which was small), fish and chips and beer battered mushrooms. Everything was average in taste, we were pleased we did not pay full price. The atmosphere at Fanno Creek is odd. There are a variety of Chinese red lanterns by the bar but the overall feel is country with the booths being made with glossy knotty pine. Best part of our experience: The T-Shirts! For $3.00 you can purchase a variety of t-shirt colors with the Fanno Creek logo on the front and fun quote on the back.

• Visited September 2012
Mulberry, Florida
“great beer”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Max's is a cool brewpub in the old downtown area of tigard. accessable by light rail and bus as well as car. parking is limited so get there early if you are driving. the beer is realy good. as good as any micro in the metro and the food is pretty decent especially the fish and chips. prices are reasonable but the service is a little slow. this is a family venue with xbox and wii set up for the kids to enjoy while mom and dad chit chat with friends. they always have the game on tv as well. indoor and outdoor sitting makes this place a must in the summer. good people watching venue.

• Visited August 2012
Portland, OR
“Another good choice for lunch!”
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I'm a member of an organization that meets here one evening a month, and I've eaten a few of the items on the evening menu, but only recently have I had the opportunity to stop in for lunches.
If you're in Tigard, I'd recommend stopping in for lunch because it's not normally crowded. The atmosphere is pleasant, comfortable. I'm greeted and served promptly during lunchtime. Service was understandably slower in the evenings because there are 30 of us in a meeting room, plus the usual evening crowd.
I've been pleased to stop in for lunch, when I can nibble a club sandwich or a fungusburger (mushrooms), and relax with some reading material or watch television. I don't normally drink beer during business hours or when I'm driving, and timing hasn't permitted me to comment on the beers because I haven't tasted them yet.
I enjoy Max's for some of the reasons others have criticized it; it's a good location for food and conversation, conveniently located near the Tigard transit center and to vendors I frequent regularly. At the hours I've stopped in, I readily find a table. It's a relaxed atmosphere, and I wouldn't want to change that. The dimly lit interior is soothing and it's not so poorly lit that I have to grope for my food. The staff is pleasant and as attentive as the workload permits. I don't conduct business meetings here; I come here for a quiet momentary escape for lunch. If you're near Main Street, I'd suggest you consider it.

• Visited August 2012