“Bloody sheets & broken shower heads: Nothing good about this one” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Washington Square

Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Washington Square
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Tigard
GreenLeadersSilver level
Dublin, Ireland
“Bloody sheets & broken shower heads: Nothing good about this one”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

I spent three nights here last week for a work event. From start to finish there was so much wrong with this place. First, the parking lot. I don't know who designed this hotel and its parking, but my guess is they failed their space planning courses in college. I had to park essentially behind the building and carry my luggage far further than I have at any other hotel I've stayed in over the last few years. You'd think with such a strange set-up there might at least be a sidewalk circling the hotel, but you'd be wrong. Check in was easy, which was lively. That's when I saw the layout of the rooms. They're all overlooking a central courtyard area where people congregate for breakfast & happy hour. They also have big windows overlooking this area. Being on the 2nd floor I was afforded very little privacy and noise travels up. Now, this hotel obviously caters to travelers and business folks. It has many conference rooms available. To milk this set of traveler, Internet access is $9.95/day PER DEVICE. Also, the TV in my room was ancient & non of the channels came through crisply. If I wanted to I could have paid to watch the previous night's episode of The Voice for $4.99. But back to the room. I slept well enough, if not necessarily warm enough. If there was an extra blanket in the room I could not find it. Speaking of not finding things ... The next morning after showering I found 4 washcloths and 2 hand towels but no towel for drying one's body. And the blow dryer kept cutting out on me. It only worked if I sat on my knees on the bathroom floor and didn't hold it above my head. Leaving my room I requested both towels and a new blow dryer. I spent the day in one of the conference rooms closest to the restroom and whatever chemicals and air freshened they use in there was definitely impacting my allergies. Alas, this was the cleanest part of the hotel that I'd seen. I was willing to laugh off all of this as the follies of business travel when I pulled back my covers to get into bed and saw a blood stain the size of two quarters! I called down to the front desk immediately for someone to take care of this. I felt gross after seeing that so I decided to shower. The shower head was one of those adjustable massage varieties so I want to turn it. It fell off when I touched it. So, so much was wrong with this room. The admin handling the details of the company event was able to get a one-night refund from the hotel, with them apologizing for the state of the room. Strangely no one offered to move me to a cleaner room at any point. As long as my company chooses to do meetings there ill probably have to stay again. But I'm pretty sure I won't like it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Becky-in-Oakland
Wil L, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Washington Square, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay with us. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and we’re very sorry for the condition of your two-room suite. We have shared your comments with our maintenance team and they have addressed the issues mentioned with the appliances and shower head in your room. We are planning to upgrade our televisions and cable system in the near future which will improve the in room experience for our guests moving forward. Please accept our apology for the housekeeping missteps you encountered both with lacking towels and unfit sheets. This presentation is not typical of our hotel and we know it is unacceptable. We will keep your comments in mind as we continually work to improve our guest experience. We are confident that when you stay with us in the future we will be able to provide you the clean and comfortable experience you expect and deserve.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Dupont, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

Overall, the rooms are comfortable, but well worn.

Breakfast was good, but extremely busy.

Location is convenient with easy access to shopping and dining.

Lots of pets on-site. We had a "pet-permitted" room rate that was supposed to include "an outward-bound travel kit for your furry family member", but the check-in staff made no mention of a pet. Not a huge issue.

Room Tip: The atrium can be very noisy if you are located on lower floors near the dining area.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

The location is great for tourists. You can easily get to downtown, the coast, and sites south of Portland. The hotel manager was wonderful. I complained I had a room right over the noisy breakfast area and he found me a quiet room on the other side of the hotel and refunded me for my first night. The hotel is older, and it shows it wear and the parking lot, the front part, is always crowded and annoying, but parking is free and there is plenty in the back. The restaurant was nice. The rooms were OK, the stuff in them is older. I would stay here again for sure, but do not expect a fancy ultra modern hotel. It was nice having a Target right next door to walk to to get things,

Room Tip: Get a room on the other side of the breakfast area
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

We stayed in the north tower as we were told it was quieter than being adjacent to the atrium. It was, indeed, very quiet. We found the staff to be friendly and helpful. There is a small work out room with most of the basic equipment like a treadmill, bike, and stairmaster. Plus there were some free weights and one or two other machines. On one hand, the location of the hotel is convenient in terms of freeway access and close proximity to the Washington Square shopping mall. On the other hand, it's not very scenic, with mostly highways and parking lots to look at. The hotel provides a complimentary breakfast with a pretty good variety. The omlet bar was great. In the evening, there is a two hour hosted cocktail reception. The drinks were good, but the hors d'oeuvres were pretty much chips and melted cheese. I had a light dinner in the restaurant. The food came with lightening speed, but the coconut shrimp was a little burned.

Room Tip: The north tower is quiet, especially on the higher floors.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Cedar City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

We got an upgrade to the ninth floor it was great! Loved the hotel, the staff was friendly we had an unforgettable experience. We didn't even mind all the soccer kids running around, you couldn't hear anyone from inside the suite.

Room Tip: High floor
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Petaluma, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

this hotel is plunked down at one end of the parking lot for Washington Square Mall. Not much in the way of outside grounds. HOWEVER, once inside, the lobby opens to the typical Embassy Suites courtyard with the rooms rising up on all four sides.
Our extended family stayed here for a wedding recently, and we found the suite rooms were perfect. We could hang out and visit in each other's rooms and not have to sit on beds. OR we could head down to the bar and have a drink. We all met for breakfast each morning. The food was fine - definitely go for the omelette bar over the scrambled eggs in the buffet line. There was a ton of fresh fruit, toast, muffins, cereal, and juice, coffee and milk. everyone in the group found something to eat, and that's saying alot.
the rooms were great! comfortable, very sound proof. we never heard our neighbors. parking is a bit of a challenge, but we just used the back lot. Close to most anything you would need.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank l_s_hobson
Eureka Springs, Arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

My husband and I traveled for pleasure to this hotel. Breakfast every morning with coffee and juice plus a cocktail in the evening. Closely located for the tax free mall. Close to the waterfalls and mountains. I used my miles for Hilton Honors and got a special deal $15,000 miles and only $50. cash. I got to spread my miles out to stretch my dollar.

Room Tip: Don't get a room in the North tower. Very far from elevator.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tigard
Downtown
Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland - Downtown

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Washington Square? Share your experiences!