“Third time is not the charm”

Cousins' Restaurant & Saloon
Ranked #3 of 69 Restaurants in The Dalles
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
the dalles
“Third time is not the charm”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014

Started off with our hostess not really that friendly and just sat us. Most of the time someone at least lets you know if their is a special of the day. Then we had one waitress ask for our order and we told her we needed more time so off she went no longer to be seen. So we got a lovely older lady that I will say I love her, wish the younger waitresses would learn a thing or two about manners. My husband and I have never been great fans of the food but we were given a gift card and wanted to get it taken care of. I really think after all this time that management might want to sit down and revamp the place. The times have changed and the food and décor haven't. There is entirely too many waitresses and not enough business and the looks they were giving us wasn't very warm or inviting. It took 3 people to ring us up at the end of our order. Not sure if that was completely necessary. Another moment of awkward and uninviting. So when you read that they welcome you with "Hi cousin" its probably because your a big group and they really want to get a tip, if you come in as a couple and want low key, your going to get ignored and treated unfairly.

• Visited January 2014
Escape L, General Manager at Cousins' Restaurant & Saloon, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
We are very appreciative that you have taken the time to provide your feedback. We understand how valuable your time is, so we take your comments very seriously. Your evaluation is being carefully reviewed and we will share it with our staff so that we can use it to improve. While it may seem that things haven’t changed we do continually update our restaurant. Most recently we installed new carpet, new wood paneling and lighting fixtures. In addition, we have added new items to our menu. With that being said, we most importantly value all of our guests and are truly sorry for your experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Yakima, Washington
“Comfort Food off I-84”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

Last week I had the opportunity to eat at Cousins' Restaurant in The Dalles. I'd stopped there a few times a while ago (well...ten years or so) and recalled some good food there. Well, I wasn't disappointed. Good country cooking and plenty of it. I had the bowl of chile and my boss tried a ruben sandwich. Both were excellent. The servings were generous and the server was warm and friendly. Cousins is warm and comfortable, so it's easy to relax. You can get off the interstate to rest and have a good meal, without feeling guilty about the prices. Family friendly too. Don't look for gourmet dishes, because you'll be the only one there who is. Instead, think relaxation and good country food.

• Visited January 2014
Bedford, Virginia
“Good food and fun place to eat.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

Cousin's welcomes every customer with "Hi cousin!". It is a cross between a restaurant, country store and a gift shop. The down home food is very fresh and plentiful. The service was excellent. Great place for families and friends.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Eric T
Monroe, Oregon
“Good place to stop”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2013 via mobile

Getting off the freeway and grabbing a decent meal- good country themed place. They cook food there ( not prepared like at Denny's). Soups were made there and my Chorizo Skillet was good. Others were happy with their salads. Nothing off the chart, I'd return if I was passing through. Excellent service. Don't expect much if you are a coffee lover.

Visited December 2013
Stockton, California
“Great food and service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013

We had the prime rib and a salad. The food was excellent, the service was great. We'll be back.
The ambiance is a country theme. Well-priced too. Great experience.

• Visited December 2013