“Sa-Loon, It's Been Good To Know You!”
Review of Baldwin Saloon

Baldwin Saloon
Ranked #1 of 70 Restaurants in The Dalles
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Tacoma, Washington
“Sa-Loon, It's Been Good To Know You!”
Reviewed March 18, 2012

I was driving down I-84 returning from a business trip, and hit that Oregon city with the goofy name around lunchtime. I originally planned to eat at the local Burgerville, a local chain with pretty good food, but the place was jammed full of high school students. I had noted a billboard coming in to the city, advertising "The Historic Baldwin Saloon", which was located close by...and any place with "historic" attached is usually worth checking out in my book! I was not disappointed. The Baldwin Saloon, built in 1876, is on a side street off the main drag, offered ample on-street, free parking. I entered through the side door after reading the plaque on the wall, outlining the establishment's venerable history. A very friendly server greeted me, and took me to a window booth bathed in sunshine, which was a most welcome appetizer after a week of rain and snow. The menu was extensive without being overwhelming. I selected a prime rib dip sandwich, "served on our own freshly-baked baguette" no less, and picked potato salad from the decent array of included sides. Even though the place was busy, my lunch arrived quickly, and both sandwich and potato salad were outstanding! The prime rib was tender, piled high on the perfect platform of just the right firmness. As for the potato salad, it's rare to find really good stuff served in a restaurant...usually it tastes like what you get in a hospital cafeteria or Army mess hall. Not so for the Baldwin Tavern's offering...it contained lots of tender potato chunks, with a nice mix of mayo and mustard, and was just the right temperature. (Okay, I just realized how much I dread eating close-to-frozen potato salad...)
Lunch was $13, including a soda, which was pretty reasonable considering the quality and quantity of my meal.
As for the historical ambience, the place has been restored and maintained very well. It has an authentic, non-Disney feel to it, closer to what a customer might have experienced in 1876, though with different menu items!
The Baldwin Tavern definitely rates a return visit next time I stop in The Dalles, Oregon.

• Visited March 2012

Keizer, Oregon
“Great Food”
Reviewed February 20, 2012

We Loved the clam chowder! I also had a spanish coffee that was so so good. Very nice staff, very prompt. Our dinners were very good, but i wish i would have just ordered a BIG bowl of Clam Chowder :)

Visited February 2012
Selah, Washington
“When traveling along the Columbia Gorge visit this restaurant for a good meal”
Reviewed January 29, 2012

On a recent visit to Portland we were traveling through the Columbia Gorge and stopped in The Dalles for lunch. Using my recently added Trip Advisor App. I selected the feature "Near Me Now". Upon reviewing the comments made by others we selected the Baldwin Saloon Historic Restaurant & Bar. We arrived about 20 minutes prior to 12 and we were the only customers, usually not a good sign. We were greeted warmly and there was 5 or 6 servers standing around casually talking. We were promptly seated and the waitress was very friendly. She made several recommendations, because the menu is pretty extensive, it has something for everyone, even the pickiest eater. They also had several specials that were not on the menu. We each had their soup special which was a chicken cabbage soup and it was delicious. In all the food was very good. Now back to the comment about we were the only customers upon arriving. At noon, a steady stream of customers began filing in the door and when we left the entire restaurant was filled and the staff was busy. As far as the atmosphere of the restaurant, this is a must see, they have a lot of local pictures, from what I am assuming is a local artist, we were seated next to a real old fashion safe, hence the word Historic. This restaurant is worth the trip to The Dalles OR. Thank you Trip Advisor for a great App.

• Visited January 2012
Chestertown, Maryland
“The venu is definitely historic, but the creative menu, food quality and excellent service and right up to date!”
Reviewed January 13, 2012

In the midst of our Northwest US motorhome odyssey, my sister and brother-in-law, who reside in the community, introduced us to the Saloon for a Saturday lunch. Historic districts in relatively small towns can make terrific venues for creative restaurateurs, Baldwin was definitely a successful example of that concept but they turned down my offer for the painting over the bar, which would have been a marvelous addition to my man-cave back home. The restaurant prides itself on everything being made from scratch and that devotion was very evident the meals we were served. From start to finish, this was a fun place to go.

• Visited November 2011
Fossil
“romantic”
Reviewed January 13, 2012

A place a person can go in the area to take a turn off the normal. Crab Cakes and other items offered on a changing menu. Great service. Dark (almost no windows) narrow. Expensive.