“Pay attention to their web site”
Review of Celilo Inn

Celilo Inn
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in The Dalles
Reviewed June 6, 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights at the end of May. I focused on the cost and not the room size or the amenties. The property consists of 2 buildings--the lower one is one long buidling that faces the freeway and has full views of the dam. The building behind it is two stories--the lower floor has no view and the top floor (rooms 71-78) have a partial view which means you see the roof of the long building and some of the river and dam.

I opted for a queen bed which put me in the 2 story building and I asked for and received a top floor, partial view. For $10 more I could have had a king bed and the long building.

My queen room may have been the smallest motel room I have ever had in the states. The web site says the room is good for 1 or 2 people. Fortunately it was only me and had my wife been with me, we would have had to upgrade to another room. The bathroom has an enclosed shower which is built into a corner. The shower head was fixed so that it aimed high and off to the side otherwise the floor, walls, hallway would have gotten drenched when you opened the shower door. Short people would have a hard time getting wet. There was no counter top to speak of--held my kit bag and a few toiletries--it would not work for 2 people.

No closet just a coat rack with a couple of hangers. I had carryons and they worked but 2 suitcases would have had no where to go. I was amazed that they were able to put a small microwave and fridge in one corner. TV a flat screen but small. Most notably absent was a desk. This is when I learned to read more closely--they have free wifi and their homepage pops up. I ended up doing more work than I planned and used the bed as my desk. There is one chair but it is 6 inches away from the bed.

Overall, the room was nicely done and clean. The staff was friendly and although I didn't partake in the snack or light breakfast it looked fine. The motel itself is on the east end of town a a few miles from anything which means no walking.

I will be back in the area and will have my wife with me. I would stay here again, but with a king bed room that promises a desk and room to move about. I will ask about the size of the shower as well. The descriptions of the rooms are accurate--just pay attention to your needs.

I cannot comment about th freeway noise as I had the window a/c on most of the night.

Room Tip: Room size can be important.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank cpalawSpokane
Terry W, General Manager at Celilo Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2014

Thank you for choosing to stay with us, AND thank you for giving out some very good information about our hotel rooms. We do have several different room sizes on this property, and most of them do have that wonderful view. Let us know when your coming to visit again, and we will try to meet your needs.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

I love this place! CHRIS L at the front desk took care of us! We really enjoyed lounging by the fire pit outside and drinking wine and watching the sun set. I could not have asked for a better Memorial Day weekend with friends! The pool is gorgeous and serene. Nearby wineries were wonderful. I love this hotel - will def go back...over and over. Thank you Chris L.!!!!
I was very impressed with this place - how do more people not know about this!?!!

Room Tip: Our room 51 had a beautiful view!
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jennifer0975
Terry W, Manager at Celilo Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2014

Chris L is one of our greatest features and represents all of our staff's standards. YEE Chris! I love the title you have given on this review, and we look forward to having you as a guest again.
Thank you!

Reviewed May 27, 2014

We booked this hotel online for Memorial Day weekend. Being as it isn't a chain hotel, we didn't know what to expect. We were NOT DISAPPOINTED! This hotel was a great find! The rooms are modernly furnished and kept very clean. The hotel offers indoor tables, a great patio with fire pit or park benches to enjoy the sunset and relax. The king suite had a great dining area and sitting room separate from the bedroom. It was the perfect stop on our trip. We will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PacificTraveler87
Terry W, Manager at Celilo Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2014

We are happy you found us and had a good experience. Thank you for taking the time to give us a wonderful review, and we look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed May 17, 2014

Front desk staff very pleasant, friendly and helpful, rooms are very comfortable, clean and in a great condition. Enjoyed the stay, but would have more had it not been for the awful odors lingering from the creosote factory. That lingering odor is certainly a turn off for that part of town, or at least for me with a sensitive smell. We would not even eat in recommended restaurant as it was located close to the creosote factory.
I read all the reviews on trip advisor, and am surprised no one mentioned that concern.
But if you don't have a sensitive smell or odors don't bother you, Celilo Inn IS THE place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Terry W, General Manager at Celilo Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2014

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. And to recommend us even with your sensitive nose. We do truly appreciate your business.

Reviewed May 15, 2014

Nice room. Wonderful front desk person... The room was clean and nice. Bed was comfortable. They have done improvements. A bit expensive for the type of room and view. But I would stay again. Do the wine tour associated with the room... Package deal

Room Tip: Husband thought the road noise was loud... I did not hear a thing!!
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Terry W, General Manager at Celilo Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2014

So very happy to hear you will be back! Please remind us when you arrive of the noise challenge so we can try to accommodate you better. Thank you for choosing us and completing a review.

Reviewed May 14, 2014 via mobile

We were on a road trip & just stopping where we got tired. I called ahead and reserved with Chris. His friendly demeanor and great customer service sold me! When we arrived he greeted us with a complimentary glass of wine (that was actually very good quality), a friendly yet efficient check-in and recommendations for a dinner! Dinner was great, the room was clean and neat, bed very comfortable and Chris was a breath of fresh air with his exceptional customer service! His attention to detail made me ask if he was an owner. He is not, just focused on making The Celilo the best it can be!! We lucked out this time, the next time we stay will be intentional! I highly recommend!

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for making this kind comment. Chris does represent all staff and our standards. He will be tickled I'm sure when he sees this nice compliment. Thank you again!

Reviewed May 10, 2014

We went on a wine tasting weekend to Dalles and stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. It is not luxurious or fancy but it exceeded out expectations- the friendly management, clean and comfortable room, fresh and simple breakfast, nice deck with a great view.....plus free bottle of wine during our stay. We definitley got our money's worth and I highly recommend it to anyone who visit the Dalles area.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends

We are glad you kept driving up the hill to give us a try. The view is nice! And, our staff were easy to train, because they are awesome folks. Hope to see you again in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near The Dalles
Fairfield Inn & Suites The Dalles
Best Western Plus Hood River Inn
Columbia Cliff Villas Hotel
Hampton Inn & Suites Hood River

Been to Celilo Inn? Share your experiences!