“Welcome Surprise”

Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in The Dalles
mbauer97225
“Welcome Surprise”
Reviewed May 20, 2009

I just had a fabulous girls weekend in the Dalles. We took advantage of the warm weather and sat by the outdoor pool. The views were awesome! We were going for a resort weekend on a budget.
Everyone we spoke with was friendly--staff, the people at the restaurant next door, the manager, Jason--even the guests.
Whenever we had a question or needed something we found the help and the service we needed.
We will definately be staying here again.

Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
ShiloTheDalles, General Manager at Shilo Inn & Suites - The Dalles, responded to this review, July 30, 2009
I am happy to hear that you had a wonderful weekend here in The Dalles. It's great to know that our friendliness and overall service left you with a lasting impression. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Oregon
Reviewed October 12, 2008

Because of the paper thin walls, we heard the noise from at least 3 TVs, 2 late night conversations, and the freeway all night. The room had cobwebs on the ceiling and had a smell. I assumed for the price we would be staying at an average place. I would rate this hotel below average and will not stay there again.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
3 Thank Travelalot03

Travelers are raving about these The Dalles hotels

Oregon
Reviewed September 26, 2008

The food at the hotel restaurant is absolutely horrible!!! The food had so much salt added to it which made it inedible! Not only did it have to much salt it tasted prepackaged and was poorly prepared. Beware of the free breakfast as well. I've had continental breakfasts 100% better than there food in the restaurant. The food was cold (including the toast) and once again salt was added to my cold piece of ham. The only good part of the restaurant is the service. The hotel itself needs to be remodeled somthing aweful. The view is the best part of the experience.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — The food!!!!!!
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank tigerspirit02
Traverse City, Michigan
Reviewed September 19, 2008

I couldn't believe the reviews I read.......did I stay at the same hotel??? From the moment I walked in, I knew it was a mistake to stay here. The smell of must and mildew in the lobby was over-powering. Our room was cramped, very dated, and in poor condition. The noise from the interstate was terrible.....I could not sleep. I understand hotels out west are more expensive, but I felt the price was ridiculous, considering the quality of the room. Maybe the C building wasn't updated? Maybe the other reviewers were in more updated rooms? I don't know. I DO KNOW that I was very unhappy with the room, and my stay. Never again!!

• Disliked — Noise, shabby room conditions, bad bed, price
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank suemar63
Yakima
Reviewed September 17, 2008

I actually stayed at the Shilo Inn several times over the summer of 2008 for job related travel and always found the Shilo team pleasant to be around. In fact, several people at the front desk started to recognize me. The rooms are nicely sized and were always clean. The internet connection always worked fast and the pool was nice and refreshing. The free breakfast is a good deal and is served quickly.

Ultimately for the price, I would prefer a nicer grade of towel and on one occasion the bed frame I had wasn't properly aligned with the frame but that was easily fixed by the staff.

If you're going through The Dalles, OR this is probably your strongest option.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank ExpeditionMan
Sequim, Washington
Reviewed July 24, 2008

The hotel is somewhat overpriced, but the restaurant, Portage Grill, is to be avoided at all costs. This is the second we've eaten there in the past three months. This time a brush fire had closed the freeway, so we had no choice. It reeks of cigarette smoke from the adjacent lounge, comes complete with fly-specked windows and dead insects on the window sills. The staff is unknowledgeable and inattentive and the food is poor quality and poorly prepared. Next time we'll settle for the nearby McDonald's.

• Liked — Roominess of unit
  • Disliked — Portage Grill
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank beentheredonethata
Cumbria, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 25, 2008

Shilo Inn, the Dalles is in a fantastic position looking right across the Dam . Very impressive entrance and lobby with a nice sitting area. Efficient , friendly staff. Very nice room but let down by the very small bathroom with a very wobbly painted bath whose paint was peeling off.
waitress served hot breakfast included in the room rate. We paid $65 for a Queen for 2 ( price with 'Room saver' coupon.)

• Stayed May 2008
Hampton Inn & Suites Hood River
Celilo Inn
Celilo Inn
#2 of 9 in The Dalles

Been to Shilo Inn & Suites - The Dalles? Share your experiences!