“Old and expensive”

Shilo Inn & Suites - The Dalles
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in The Dalles
Reviewed April 11, 2014

Rooms haven't been updated since the 80s. Two tiny towels and only 1 wash cloth in a queen room. Old hard pillows. Not at all worth the price. Restaurant is pricey and I could have burned my own fish at home for a lot less money. Too bad as the location has potential!

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank jdgff
ShiloHotels, Manager at Shilo Inn & Suites - The Dalles, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2014

Dear JDGFF,
Thank you for your commenting on your recent stay. I sincerely apologize that we did not meet your expectations. We value your comments, as we are constantly trying to improve our guest’s experience. I sincerely hope that you will give us another opportunity to be of service to you in the future.
Sincerely, H. Baker-General Manager

Reviewed April 11, 2014

We stayed at The Dalles Shilo Inn on our way to the Oregon Coast. We were pleasantly surprised. I had not read any of the reviews before our stay, but we did not have any issues. The wi-fi worked great. We did not hear noises from other guests. The bed was comfy and we loved our room. The decor is dated, but our overall experience with this property was good. We would stay here again.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Djbtravis
Thank you for your recent review and for being a valued Shilo guest. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Sincerely, H. Baker-General Manager

Reviewed March 8, 2014

We have stayed here many times in the past, but I think we will probably look elsewhere from now on. Yes, the place is well worn,the spa is still "under construction",the bar had 4 stools (most occupied by off duty staff) and it looks like the hotel is going to close at anytime. I paid $176.00 for 1 night with a pet and the night before we stayed at Oxford Suites on Jantzen Beach for $129.00 with a indoor pool, a working spa and a much better hotel.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Matt M
ShiloHotels, Manager at Shilo Inn & Suites - The Dalles, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2014

Dear Matt M,

Thank you for your review and for being a valued Shilo guest. I sincerely apologize that our spa was not operational and for the inconvenience you experienced. We are currently undergoing a complete refurbishment of that area. I hope that you will give us a future opportunity to regain your confidence when we complete the spa renovation.

Heather B.-General Manager

Reviewed February 5, 2014

I had always thought Shilo Inns were a higher quality location. The Dalles location is in need of updating. There was no wifi in rooms. The bathroom door would not latch, the next room's TV sounded like it was in our room, and everything looked very used. We had considered staying at the Super 8. I think it would have been a better deal.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Ken D

Dear Ken D,

Thank you for your review and for being a valued Shilo guest. I sincerely apologize that your experience failed to meet your expectations. Your comments are important and will be used to improve our guest experience. I sincerely hope that you will allow us another opportunity to regain your confidence in the future.

H. Baker-General Manager

Reviewed January 8, 2014

We have never stayed at a Shilo Inn and will hesitate to stay in any of their inns. Once we checked in we noticed that the outside "secure" doors which supposedly needed your key only needed to pulled opened. So for security there was none. The hot tub was unavailable, the business center in the lobby was out of service and my husband had to go to the bar to get ice since none of the ice machines were working. Our room was very dated but it was clean. The shower had hot water once you were able to "find" it! I have never had a hard time adjusting the shower dial for 5 minutes trying to find the hot water! The breakfast was good. You got one of three choices. Ours consisted of 1 egg, 1 pancake and 2 sausage links. You also were given 1 c beverage choice.. Overall, I will certainly avoid this place in the future.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank 2014emptynesters
ShiloHotels, Manager at Shilo Inn & Suites - The Dalles, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2014

Thank you for your recent comment on your stay with us here in The Dalles. I am sorry to hear that you did not have a great experience. We are continuing to work on the Spa Fitness area so that it may be utilized once again by our guest, and do apologize that you were unable to take advantage of the area. Please contact me at your earliest convenience so that I may identify which room that you stayed in so that we may address the issue with the shower controls.

541-298-5502.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

We have stayed here on a number of visits to Oregon. It's a nice stop off, before traveling to the Willamette Valley the next day. Yes, it is older, however, the staff is warm & friendly. You do get breakfast in the restaurant. There are three selections to choose from. They do offer a "Veterans" room rate, which is nice. Since it was winter, the outdoor pool was closed for the season. The hot tub was under renovation & not open. Many of the rooms give you a view of the Columbia River & The Dalles Dam. It is two story & there are no elevators in the establishment. In the summer, you can sit out on the patio, which I was able to experience on a previous trip. Ordered dinner with a glass of wine. Couldn't ask for anything more perfect, after a day of driving.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank suzyq3648

Thank you for your recent comment on your stay here with. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found your room and views offered to your liking, and our wonderful staff was welcoming. We look forward to welcoming you again on your next trip through The Dalles.

Reviewed December 7, 2013

The fitness center was closed for renovations, which was VERY disappointing. Reservations should advise people of this as it is important to some people. According to past reviews on Trip Advisor, it's been closed for a long time...

Everything is outdated and run down in the motel. They still use metal keys, which don't work in the deadbolt- only the knob of the door. Security isn't very strong. Our room door had a big gap around the edges. The towel racks in the bathroom were rusty. The room was clean and comfortable though.

The restaurant didn't give us alternate choices for breakfast (you'd think they'd include a menu with the free breakfast incase someone doesn't want one of the three NO SUBSTITUTION breakfasts). The coffee was lukewarm and the eggs were cold. the sausage was nuked. If you go for that free breakfast, eat the pancake- that was cinnamon-y and good, though served with corn syrup and margarine (vs. maple syrup and butter).

All around I'd give this place an "okay." The service in the motel and the restaurant/bar was "okay." They do the absolute minimum they have to do to get their job done. Not likely to go back.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank M M
ShiloHotels, Manager at Shilo Inn & Suites - The Dalles, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent comment. I do apologize that your stay was disappointing. Our spa fitness area is closed for renovations and we are working towards getting that project completed so that our guests may utilize the area once again. I will pass your comments along to the restaurant owners in regards to the breakfast selection. If you could please contact me at 541-298-5502, so that we may identify which room you stayed in so that we could address the issue that you had with the door it would be greatly appreciated.

Also consider these accommodations in or near The Dalles
Best Western Plus Hood River Inn
Celilo Inn
Celilo Inn
#2 of 9 in The Dalles

Been to Shilo Inn & Suites - The Dalles? Share your experiences!