“Oh my, not so hot”

Shilo Inn & Suites - The Dalles
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in The Dalles
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Atilla the Hun greeted us coldly when we checked in. She was curt to the point of rudeness and actually had the nerve ask if we were there on business when we presented a government ID to obtain a government rate...While husband was inquiring about rates I used the ladies room, and found that the door on the stall in the bathroom in the lobby was actually a cheap expansion shower rod from Walmart and had a shower liner for a door...there was one stall with a real door but it was broken. The hotel room was large and that is about as good as it got. The bedspread was filthy and had something white smeared all over it...( don't ask) there were flies and spiders in our room and the water ran brown out of the bathroom faucet. There was mold in the bath room and small towels were in short supply. the only bright spot was internet was easy and blazing fast. It is loud as all the doors are spring loaded to close and are constantly slamming as guests pass through the halls. The doors are not secure into the rooms and the slider in the room was able to be jiggled open if one tried. I thought the Shilo's were supposedly slightly upscale but, boy howdy..not this one. I don't like giving negative reviews but this place it dirty, not maintained and I would not ever stay here again....Oh did I mention that it is off season and the room was over a hundred dollars>?

Room Tip: The best was to get a good room is to choose another hotel...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank NancyT505
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn & Suites - The Dalles, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Dear NancyT505,

Thank you for your recent comments on your stay with us here at The Dalles Shilo Inns. I am extremely sorry that you had a less than exceptional experience during your stay with us. I apologize that you did not receive the outstanding customer service that we strive to give and want to assure you that this situation will be attended to. I have and will be looking into all of the issues that you have brought up and again apologize for your less than satisfactory stay.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

After checking in I found dog hair on the sheets and toothpaste on the bed spread. My wife killed a spider in the room and we were pestered by a fly all night. The women's rest room for the lobby and restaurant has stall doors ready to fall off and one has been replaced with a shower curtain. The facility needs a major renovation and cleaning. I stayed in this hotel in 1995 and it was a nice facility then. It is obvious that no one has made any effort to maintain this place in many years. The front desk clerk and restaurant employees are not people people.

Do not stay here.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank russ789

Dear russ789,

Thank you for your recent stay with us here at The Dalles Shilo Inns. I apologize that you we did not meet our standard of expectation. I have and will be looking into the concerns you had about your stay with us, and again apologize for your less than satisfactory stay.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

The room was a good value. It was a little further away from the interstate noise so we felt it offer a better night's sleep. It was a large room even though dated. It was also cleaner than many of the newer hotels in which we have stayed recently. The breakfast the next morning was excellent.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn & Suites - The Dalles, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Dear prisservin,

Thank you for your recent comment on your stay with us. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us here. We look forward to having you back as our guest here at The Dalles next time you are in the area.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

Updating a tired motel is expensive. Great Local staff are working hard to do a good job with an aging property. Not easy.
The Shilo Inn's ownership/name is apparently slipping here. Great location but don't let the distant motel appearance excite you.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank D S

Dear D S,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay, and your comments about our staff. Comments are always appreciated so that we may address any concerns our customers may have.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

I love this place. The location is superbly (and what view!) convenient, the front desk people couldn't be more accommodating, the grounds are very pleasant (with some authentic historic ruins to ponder), lodging and restaurant prices are reasonable, and the dinner menu is a totally unexpected lagniappe.
I've never been here during the summer, so I haven't experienced crowds in the restaurant or lines at the reception desk -- and I'm not complaining. My visits during the other three seasons have all been of the sort that makes me look forward to the next time.
Yes, the buildings are older than those drop-in-place, modular HI Expresses. Oh, well. My rooms have always been clean, nicely decorated, with comfortable beds and good draperies (non-see-thru sheers and true black-out panels). Older plumbing fixtures? As long as the toilet flushes, and both tub and sink drain, I'm happy.
If I were advising the owners on one area that could be improved, I'd suggest retrofitting the walls with modern soundproofing materials. Aside from that, I've enjoyed every single stay at this Shiloh Inn, intend to continue coming here, and recommend it unreservedly.

Room Tip: Go for a view! Lie in bed at night with the lights out and watch the river traffic
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo

Dear Shelly c,

Thank you for your great review on your stay with us here, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is always nice to hear from guests about their stay with us. We appreciate your comments and I will pass them along to all our staff and the restaurant.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

The location is great, right off the freeway and next to the river. The property however is in need of some renovation and investment to bring it back to typical Shilo standards. The room was nice enough however rather small. The bathroom was older and needed a complete overhaul. The shower was warm but never got as warm as I would have liked. The hot tub was small and not too warm either. The staff was nice enough and the breakfast was probably the highlight of the stay. If you are looking for a location by the river this could be a consideration, if not shop around first.

Room Tip: Ask if there are any remodeled rooms.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 26, 2012

The Shilo Inn is a "hotel by the highway", a good stop for travellers passing through, versus a resort destination.
It is located along the Columbia River with views of a dam and bridge that fascinated the kids. It has a heated outdoor pool and a great cajun restaurant attached.

• Stayed: September 2012
Best Western Plus Hood River Inn
Celilo Inn
Celilo Inn
#2 of 9 in The Dalles

Been to Shilo Inn & Suites - The Dalles? Share your experiences!