“Doing the best they can?”

Shilo Inn & Suites - The Dalles
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in The Dalles
Oregon
“Doing the best they can?”
Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

Updating a tired motel is expensive. Great Local staff are working hard to do a good job with an aging property. Not easy.
The Shilo Inn's ownership/name is apparently slipping here. Great location but don't let the distant motel appearance excite you.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank D S
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn & Suites - The Dalles, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear D S,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay, and your comments about our staff. Comments are always appreciated so that we may address any concerns our customers may have.

Heather Baker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Post Falls, Idaho
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I love this place. The location is superbly (and what view!) convenient, the front desk people couldn't be more accommodating, the grounds are very pleasant (with some authentic historic ruins to ponder), lodging and restaurant prices are reasonable, and the dinner menu is a totally unexpected lagniappe.
I've never been here during the summer, so I haven't experienced crowds in the restaurant or lines at the reception desk -- and I'm not complaining. My visits during the other three seasons have all been of the sort that makes me look forward to the next time.
Yes, the buildings are older than those drop-in-place, modular HI Expresses. Oh, well. My rooms have always been clean, nicely decorated, with comfortable beds and good draperies (non-see-thru sheers and true black-out panels). Older plumbing fixtures? As long as the toilet flushes, and both tub and sink drain, I'm happy.
If I were advising the owners on one area that could be improved, I'd suggest retrofitting the walls with modern soundproofing materials. Aside from that, I've enjoyed every single stay at this Shiloh Inn, intend to continue coming here, and recommend it unreservedly.

Room Tip: Go for a view! Lie in bed at night with the lights out and watch the river traffic
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear Shelly c,

Thank you for your great review on your stay with us here, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is always nice to hear from guests about their stay with us. We appreciate your comments and I will pass them along to all our staff and the restaurant.

Salem, Oregon
Reviewed September 30, 2012

The location is great, right off the freeway and next to the river. The property however is in need of some renovation and investment to bring it back to typical Shilo standards. The room was nice enough however rather small. The bathroom was older and needed a complete overhaul. The shower was warm but never got as warm as I would have liked. The hot tub was small and not too warm either. The staff was nice enough and the breakfast was probably the highlight of the stay. If you are looking for a location by the river this could be a consideration, if not shop around first.

Room Tip: Ask if there are any remodeled rooms.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 26, 2012

The Shilo Inn is a "hotel by the highway", a good stop for travellers passing through, versus a resort destination.
It is located along the Columbia River with views of a dam and bridge that fascinated the kids. It has a heated outdoor pool and a great cajun restaurant attached.

• Stayed September 2012
Kanab, Utah
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Nice view of the dam, nice room, good bed, with micro and refig. Definitely pricey. Check in was miserable, breakfast in their restaurant was much worse than IHOP or Dennys. If you aren't that interested in the view go into town and get a room for $30 less.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn & Suites - The Dalles, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear redhead 3855,

Thank for your recent comment on your stay. I apologize that your stay was not up to standards. I will let the restaurant now about your concerns regarding breakfast. I would also like the opportunity to speak to you in regards to the check in process and see where we can make things smoother. I look forward to speaking to you please contact me at 541-298-5502.

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

Our first room had a broken toilet and AC problems, our second room had a toilet that just ran all the time. They still have standard keys and old style TV's. The ice machine is out of order, and the toilet that runs all the time is very dirty. Not to promote a different hotel but this is the same price I paid in Hood River three weeks ago at another chain right on the river with all modern rooms very plush. The girls at the front desk here don't seem to enjoy there job very much, no smile - nothing.

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank MyOpinion303

Travelers are raving about these The Dalles hotels

Reviewed September 1, 2012

I thought Shilo Inn Was supposed to be Nice. The shower was dirty. The cups were dirty. The parking lot had hobos. The was only one towel. The seats were covered in stains. The restaurant is so run down. Its not the employees fault. They're doing a good job. But the whole place needs to be torn down. Dust and cob webs everywhere. Stay somewhere else!

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank QuickQuips
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn & Suites - The Dalles, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear QuickQuips,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay, comments are always appreciated so that we may address any concerns our customer may have and I sincerely apologize that you found us not to be up to standards. We have made note of your concerns as we continually make improvements. We do hope that the next time you are in the area that you give us another chance to accommodate your needs.

Also consider these accommodations in or near The Dalles
Hampton Inn & Suites Hood River
Celilo Inn
Celilo Inn
#2 of 9 in The Dalles

Been to Shilo Inn & Suites - The Dalles? Share your experiences!