“Exquisite Dining Experience”

South Bend Bistro
Ranked #5 of 28 Restaurants in Sunriver
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Rustic farm-to-table Pacific Northwest cuisine served in a relaxed, comfortable atmosphere by our warm and professional staff. Please see our website for the most current menu.
Reviewed February 15, 2010

Table for six and every meal was superbly accomplished with a variety of foods, sauces, and wines. One of the best restaurant meals any of us have experienced from Portland to San Francisco, France to Mexico. A must for the central Oregon traveler and local alike!

1  Thank mjnorSunriver_Oregon

Reviewed October 6, 2009

This small but elegant restaurant with huge deck for outdoor dining is a standout at the Sunriver Resort, where the other restaurants in the Village area are fairly ordinary. We had seafood, including crabcakes, scallops, and halibut--all superbly prepared.

1  Thank cellodoc
Reviewed July 8, 2009

My wife and I enjoy dinning out but admit to being very critical and rarely eat out within a hundred miles of home. South Bend Bistro came highly recommended when vacationing in Sunriver, Oregon and we actually dined there twice. The sauces served with the varios entrees were exceptional and vegtebles prerared to perfection.Homemade desserts were an added bonus.Being able to have dinner out on the deck during one visit made the evening special. Sure wish we had a South Bend Bistro closer to home.

1  Thank MORFARORIENTAL
Reviewed May 26, 2009

I'm a Portland native who has made quite a few trips to Bend over the past years, and have enjoyed watching Bend's culinary scene flourish. Two years ago my husband and I had an amazing experience dining at Merenda. After hearing, sadly, that it went out of business, we did some online research hoping to find an equivalent. South Bend Bistro had some amazing online reviews, and their website displayed some tantalizing dishes at reasonable prices. My husband, my in-laws, my son and I arrived at South Bend Bistro for dinner on Memorial Day weekend, and had an unfortunately unpleasant dining experience.

To begin, the website needs updating. Prices listed on the website are at LEAST five dollars less than their actual prices, and in some cases, dishes have risen almost ten dollars since last year. Though the prices are not outrageous for the quality of food, we felt mislead.

When we called to make our reservation earlier in the day for 8:00pm, we were asked if we could arrive at 7:45, not because they were busy, but because they were expecting a smaller crowd and wished to close early (closing time was advertised as 10:00pm. While this was not an inconvenience to us, we watched as at least 3 parties of diners arrived after us. Two were reluctantly seated after the server/hostess said she needed to ask "if the kitchen was still firing," and one party was turned away. While I understand the needs of a restaurant to adapt to the ebb and flow of tourism off-season, this was Memorial Day Weekend, and diners should never have to feel that the kitchen and wait staff are doing them a big favor by continuing to serve during posted business hours.

The service was very weak. We were served by a young woman who seemed very frazzled, didn't offer us bread until we asked 20 minutes after being seated, and didn't refill our water while we were there, despite serving only five tables.

Finally, we were offered a tempting special. It was a pan roasted duck breast with mushroom and goat cheese risotto and a veal basalmic reduction. My mother in-law and I both ordered the special. About 10 minutes later, when the special was offered to another table, I heard the server say it was pork tenderloin, and NOT duck breast. While it sounded just as delicious to me, my mother-in law does not eat pork, and would never have ordered it if this is what the server told us. When we flagged her down and informed her of the mistake, she told us she was very sorry if that's how the information "came across to us," but that the special was, in fact, pork, and it was too late for the kitchen to change our order. We found this attitude to be really unacceptable, and my mother and father in-law were forced to switch dishes or go hungry.

While I have to say that the food was delicious, the whole evening was soured by poor service, misrepresented pricing, and a poor attitude, and I cannot say I would recommend South Bend Bistro to any of my friends.

6  Thank primrose17
Reviewed March 28, 2009

We stayed in Sunriver for the week and wanted to have a "nice" meal as a family without having to drive to Bend or go to the Sunriver Lodge. We love to go out to eat but our "group" can be a little challenging - I'm an omnivore, my wife is a vegetarian, and we have 2 kids - an 8 year old who will eat anything and a 4 year old who's not a big eater. We all came away very happy after eating at this wonderful small restaurant.

We started with salads - a pear salad and a spinach, bacon, walnut salad. Though we picked the "small" size, they were big enough to share with our kids. I had the duck in a berry sauce with the sweet potato risotto - a risotto not made with rice but with tiny chopped sweet potatos - unique but delicious. My wife thought the risotto sounded great and conformed they made it with vegetable stock. They asked what else she'd like and put together a set of delicious roasted vegetables. The server made it very clear that they'd be willing to make anything she wanted. She said something like - "Just look at the menu and anything that looks good to you we'll modify it as we make it fresh" Very accomodating.

The kids menu deserves special attention - That's what actually prompted me to write this review. We are often disappointed by the kids' choices - it always seems to boil down to chicken fingers or mac and cheese, even at fancy $30 +++ entree restaurants. They had at least 1/2 dozen choices. My son had a grilled salmon with roasted vegetables and mashed potatoes for $12. My 3 year old daughter had a creamy pasty dish with shrimp for $10. They gladly shared with each other. I'd gladly pay $10-12 for a real meal as opposed to $6-8 for something that seems like an afterthought when I'm enjoying a nice meal.

The desserts were fantastic. We shared a strawberry rhubarb pie and a chocolate creme brulee. With a couple of glases on wine, our total came to $100 before tip.

The setting is a little disappointing. We went on a gray March evening and it was a little hard to find. It's in the Sunriver "mall" in a complex of similar-looking buildings. The inside is simple. They have a big patio they use when the weather is nice - I'm guessing that would be pleasant.

We'll be back when we return to Sunriver, and have already recommended it to our "foodie" friends.

2  Thank raypdx