“BETTER THAN ANY OTHER IN THE NORTHWEST”

Oregon Observatory at Sunriver
Ranked #2 of 19 things to do in Sunriver
More attraction details
Owner description: There’s no better place! The local elevation, pitch dark surrounding and crystal clear air make it perfect for star gazing. You won’t be lining up for one telescope. The Oregon Observatory is the largest astronomical viewing facility in the United States. Feast your eyes on far away galaxies. Recognize the rings of Saturn and the moons of Jupiter. Witness a meteor shower. Get a glimpse of globular clusters, nebula and deep space binary stars.
Reviewed April 27, 2013

The location is perfect -- NO lights to dim the night sky! The equipment and staff are amazing as well. Many, top-quality and large telescopes bring the solar system and galaxy right to the tip of your nose. Including the sun in daytime. The staff is dedicated, friendly and has a deep, broad knowledge of astronomy. If you've got the question, any question, about the sky. At least one of them has the answer. If you pass through or visit Central Oregon, stop here! If you love astronomy, plan a trip just to experience this amazing facility. There's nothing even close accessible to the public for a thousand miles and more in any direction.

All reviews
"wings"
in 12 reviews
"solar viewing"
in 8 reviews
"the international space station"
"knowledgeable staff"
in 2 reviews
"gets dark"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed April 21, 2013

The staff was very friendly and helpful and the flow and organization of the tour was very efficient.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

The last night of our 5-day stay concluded with an evening trp to the Sunriver Observatory. Simply amazng! We saw Saturn, Jupiter, a Comet, a distant Galaxy and a flyby of the International Space Station. Glen and staff were very eager to share the sights available in the night sky. I would suggest the staff spend a little more time in the indoor presentation talking about what we will likely see in the night sky. Overall - great thing to do at Sunriver!

Reviewed March 29, 2013

A must see :) They were very helpful in showing you all the different constellations with several telescopes.

See more reviews
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I showed up with my 2 kids, grandparents, and wife at this exhibit. I payed good money to get in to the facility and expected to be treated with some respect. My son was very excited to see a planet through a telescope. Well, the first telescope we got to, really was not pointed at anything I could decipher. My son was excited and wanted to see, but I told him "this one is just pointed at a group of stars. The staff member who was standing there said "well .... That's what we sell here." And offered no help. Instead of informing me of what we were looking at in an respectfully intelligent way, he decided to try and belittle me instead. Ridiculous. Prior to that the lady at the entrance was rude to my wife about her having her head lamp on in a pitch black parking lot. A nice heads up would have been nice rather than the dramatic antics of covering your eyes and sarcastically telling my wife to shut it off. We are newcomers here, a little respect goes a long way...especially to paying customers. Poor show staff. You need to rein that in.

4  Thank Chad B