“Do not miss this!”

Oregon Observatory at Sunriver
Ranked #2 of 19 things to do in Sunriver
More attraction details
Owner description: There’s no better place! The local elevation, pitch dark surrounding and crystal clear air make it perfect for star gazing. You won’t be lining up for one telescope. The Oregon Observatory is the largest astronomical viewing facility in the United States. Feast your eyes on far away galaxies. Recognize the rings of Saturn and the moons of Jupiter. Witness a meteor shower. Get a glimpse of globular clusters, nebula and deep space binary stars.
California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Do not miss this!”
Reviewed August 4, 2012

We went to the observatory and the nature center. Both are truly excellent. As a space buff, I really enjoyed the observatory. We went first at night. They have an array of different telescopes and guides at each to explain what you were looking at. Spectacular images! We went back from noon-2pm to see the sun through special telescopes. This also was amazing. If you are in Sunriver please visit the observatory!

Visited August 2012

“Out of this world!”
Reviewed August 3, 2012

The Presenters made learning astronomy really fun! Glen's presentation was engaging for both adults and kids. Our 8 year old daughter left the evening inspired and eager to discover more. Totally recommend a visit for all!

Tigard, Oregon
“Fun and a great learning experience”
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Just returned from Sunriver. Last night went to the observatory, and saw a great power point and movie, narrated by a entertaining guide. The kids really loved it, and the adults learned a lot of new things about our solar system and stars. There were a lot of volunteers who were very helpful too. Definitely worth our time. Highlight of our visit.

Visited July 2012
“I would go back it was FUN!!!”
Reviewed August 1, 2012

I had fun and I am 10. I learned a lot interests things. The telescope were awesome. It was weird how you could see saturn so clearly. Mares I could see kind of, but it was still cool. With the telescopes you could see stars you could not, without a telescope. I would go back again!

Portland, Oregon
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“One of A Kind Experience”
Reviewed July 28, 2012

I've been visiting Sunriver nearly every year for over 20 years. Most years I visit the Observatory. For most of those years I'd bring my kids. Even with the swimming, bike riding and later kayaking and golf, visiting the Obversatory was always the highlight. Now that the kids are grown, I still visit and marvel. The facility has grown some over the years but is still intimate and the staff is always approachable and very knowlegeable. It's science at its finest, intelligent and educational but always hugely entertaining. The viewing conditons are as good as can be found anywhere. I highly recommend experiencing this one of a kind facility and eperience.

Visited July 2012