“Information for Sunriver”
Review of Sunriver Resort

Sunriver Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Sunriver
Reviewed June 21, 2014

Just returned from our trip to Sunriver, I had never been there and was a bit confused as what to expect so I am writing this up to help other first time visitors.
Sunriver is a huge area, about a half hour south of Bend,OR. There are not a lot of restaurants, or shops in Sunriver Resort area. There are a few smaller grocery stores, shops and things so you can get by, but they are all locally run and owned. It has a very rustic charm, and nothing is commercialized at all! In Bend, there is a Costco and big stores so we loaded up with groceries before we arrived. Most places at Sunriver are houses, or condos with kitchens.
Everywhere in the village area is accessible by roads that wind around, lots of trees and the areas are spread apart from each other in most areas. The main resort area is a large building that houses check in for resort accommodations, a pro shop and check in for golfing, a gift shop, a restaurant/bar, and a more upscale restaurant. There is also a coffee shop with some more casual menu items off the gift shop and some meeting rooms. You can stay in what is considered to be the main Sunriver accommodations which are closest to this building, but you still would have to walk a way or bike to them, and the other areas you would go in the resort to the stables, SHARK aquatic center, the Village for other shopping/restaurants are all a considerable distance apart. This is what was hard for me to desipher as I was researching the best area to stay. What I would say is there is a wide variety of places from a hotel type room-to a luxury house. It doesn't really matter where you are in the resort there is probably advantages and disadvantages to all depending on what you really want to do while you are there and what your budget is.
There are 4 golf courses, so if you are going to golf here's the scoop. Crossroads is very upscale and classy, you can hardly get into this development. You have to drive through security gates. This is in a separate development about 1 mile south of the main Sunriver lodge, and part of the development. I am not sure if there are houses to rent in there or not. I know they sale for 2+million dollars. If you are a serious golfer, looking for a top notch course this is it. The next class down would be Woodlands, it is in the opposite direction of Crossroads, but in the "Sunriver" area, although it is probably further away from the lodge. My husband and I spent time at the driving range here & putting and chipping greens. They have a nice pro-shop (NIKE only) and a small grill type restaurant. The course looked very nice, around this area there is a large variety of rentals, from older condos to large homes on the course. The Meadows golf course is directly behind the main Sunriver Lodge. This course looked nice and is spread out in an open area behind the lodge. It also had a nice driving range, and a putting course, that younger families and others were utilizing. The final course is down in a new development called Caldera Springs. It is across from Crossroads and is a development that is up and coming. It is also 1 mile off sight from the "Sunriver" resort, but like I said earlier it is closer to other things within the area so I wouldn't let that deter you necessarily. This is were I ended up staying so I will go into some more details later, after I discuss their golf course. Caldera Springs is a 9 hole course, while we were there it was hardly played on. It looked nice enough, but it is a newer area still much is being built there so I don't think many people from the main resort go over there to play. I would say if you are a beginner golfer (or just not that great, and don't like the pressure of good golfers always on your tail, like me) you would love it. Or if you wanted to take your kids our and help them learn on a course you would love this! You can not use a golf cart, walking only, (I am pretty sure) there is also a putting course here. I was here in 6/2014 so as the area grows this could change, I would check it out at Caldera Springs.com.
So, yes I stayed at Caldera Springs. It is maybe one of the most expensive rentals in the area. I paid $500+ a night for a 3 bedroom/4 bathroom "cabin"! It was very new with beautiful comfortable furnishings. Each room had an attached bathroom and there was one main bathroom, also with a shower. Hot tub outside the master on the back deck, you could easily have 3 couples, although one room has a day bed and set of twin bunks, so grandparents, parents and kids would be a perfect home for. Look at caldera cabins, there is even a tour of them on you tube. (Booked through Sunriver Resort, would reccomend them!)
Caldera area is ideal for a family with tennis courts, a beautiful inifinity pool on the lake, it starts out with a very slow slope off the sidewalk so a nice pool for young kids, it has a water slide and nice area. RIght now it's not very populated, so it has paved bike trails all around it, which would be ideal for younger kids to ride around with parents with not a lot of others in your way. Tennis courts right outside our door, a nice area to rent canoes and paddle boards and be in the smaller lakes right at the complex. Everything here is close together, new and extremely well maintained. If this is what you are looking for, you will love it. It might not be the best for families with younger kids that aren't able to venture off too far. If they will want to be more independent and bike around, to get to the Sunriver resort activities they would have to cross a main road, which might not be good for them. Older teens would be fine, and safe, but may be something you would want to consider as a draw back to staying at Caldera.
In the resort area there are paths for riding bikes and walking on, bikes and walking are not allowed on the road. It makes it nice to drive around not having to dodge pedestrians and bikes and it makes it nice to bike around and not worry about cars!! A lovely configuration to getting around although very confusing to navigate until you get it down! There are such nice paths all over!
One thing I did that was helpful was googled things and looked via satelite to get a vision of what it looks like there. It does appear that the marina and stables are close to the lodge but they are about a mile away. Also something that surprised me was the river isn't accessible for many things. We didn't have time to do rafting but that would be something located further away also. I had assumed everything would be right there but the whole resort is very spread out, again not necessary to stay close by the lodge.
I guess that's enough, hope it's helpful.
Can't say enough about the attitude of people working everywhere, never had better service any where than Sunriver! Unreal!

Room Tip: Stayed at Caldera Springs Cabins!
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
7  Thank brahmagupta
There are newer reviews for Sunriver Resort

Reviewed June 19, 2014

20 Wildwood Sunriver

This is a more rustic condo than 62 with interesting decor throughout. It is pet friendly. The internet was great for streaming.

Kitchen is stocked, wood counters, and newer appliances. We had everything needed to make a cake and cupcakes.

Loud stairs so everyone can hear when someone is up.

Older carpet throughout, worn, but clean.

Showers are tiled and updated. The floors in the bathrooms are heated which is nice, even in the summer. Good water pressure. Both bathrooms are on the middle floor on the same floor as the bedrooms, so you have to go downstairs.

The TV is modern. There are also older sets in the bedrooms. Game consoles, DVD and VCR. Stocked washer and dryer.

Ground floor only has an entry.

There are two bedrooms.

The light in master bedroom is bright in the morning.

The Other bedroom has a queen and a bunk bed. There is a loft between the 3rd and 4th floors with a twin bed. The fourth floor door leads to a terrace on top of the condo but the door is locked.

Across the street from the Village. On the golf course. Dog friendly. Common parking

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank tlcjunk
Reviewed June 16, 2014

This is a wonderful resort with great accommodation and extremely friendly staff. I really enjoyed a short time I spent in Sunriver resort. There are a lot of activities in and around the resort, so there a plenty interesting things to do while you stay at Sunriver Resort.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed June 12, 2014 via mobile

a wonderful place to stay. So many different activities for me the entire family. Everyone from hotel staff to guests/residents is so happy it's contagious..... we've never had a bad day there!! Four different golf courses, aquatic center, horseback riding. My wife and I have also rented a Porsche and had it dropped off at sunriver airport for our convenience. We are already planning another trip back!

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed June 11, 2014

I was here for a three-day meeting - of about 200 attendees. Was very pleasantly surprised by the beauty of the scenery, the quality of the food, and the friendliness of the staff. A fantastic find, beats many other meeting venues hands down.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Frederik S
Reviewed June 5, 2014

Close your eyes and imagine a sweeping drive across Oregon along a winding highway lush with deep green tall forest trees, wildlife peeping out and watching you as you pass by. But this is not a dream; this is a journey to The Sun River Resort in Bend, Oregon. If you have ever thought about visiting Oregon, then make sure The Sun River Resort is one of your visits.

Bar none, this resort has it all for everyone in your family. Even you if it’s just you and someone special, you will not be disappointed in the accommodations, amenities, activities, food, wildlife and more.

The Sun River Resort has all types of accommodations, condos, townhomes, and private rental homes that sleep upwards of twelve plus. They are perfectly nestled on the resort among the thousands of trees, intertwined with bike and walking paths that take your breath.

You want pet friendly? No problem, most of the rentals are pet friendly, so bring them along.
Activities, where do I began? Golf, fishing, fly fishing, hiking, canoeing, swimming, skiing, camping, tennis, did I miss anything? I don’t think so. This is an adventure and a fun natural resort ranking a ten on a scale of one to ten.

We (my new wife and I) just spent our honeymoon here and it was the best decision of the many we had made. Of course we could have gone to Cancun, Hawaii, just to name a couple of the free wedding show trips, but Sun River in Bend Oregon was on the top of our list.
We rented a private home (5 Trapper Lane) that slept up to six, but it was the perfect size for the two of us. We invited my wife's parents up for a day to share in the experience.

Our excitement grew as what we saw on the internet matched the home that we had chosen. But behold, it was beyond our expectations. One unexpected bonus was sitting outside having coffee in the morning and seeing the wild deer (at least half a dozen) grazing about twelve feet from our patio. They would even return in the afternoon when we would have cocktails and watching the sunset. It couldn’t have been a more perfect setting.

Our guest services hostess was top notch. This was our honeymoon and she spared no options to make us feel welcomed and special. We are avid golfers, so she arranged for a complementary round of golf for us on the properties luscious and beautiful golf course.

A bottle of fine wine, chocolates, and a welcome card was waiting for us upon entry. Our rental home had everything on our list: a fireplace, a private outside spa to die for, full open backyard patio, fire grill, patio dining, loft, bikes, full up to date kitchen and appliances. The cupboards were stocked with every cooking and utensil you would need, even a waffle iron! Spices, wrap, foil, etc. were stocked from previous guest that decided to play it forward (we did the same).

Got Kids? Well, the onsite Water Park “Sharc” will make them happy they came! It’s inexpensive, only $10 and that includes unlimited rides on the slides, tubes and endless water adventures that they could imagine.

The staff on the entire property is friendly 24/7! We were treated like royalty at every restaurant, bar, café, shops, and more. The Sun River Resort is the best value for a vacation, honeymoon, or private home purchase. I highly recommend this resort among the many that I travel to worldwide.

It was refreshing to find this natural treasure here in the United States. I/we will return again and again.

Room Tip: Vacation Homes are the best value. For what you would pay at a hotel per night where you have to cra...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank John R
Reviewed May 27, 2014

Great place, great service. Lots to see and lots to do. We came by private plane and the airport staff had everything ready for our "after hours" arrival. the Shuttle drivers are courteous and helpful and so is everyone at the Resort. Unpretentious, relaxed atmosphere and lively evening at the Owl's nest on arrival, then relaxation at its best. We rented a car for a couple of days (arranged also by the airport staff) and took advantage of the many fascinating sites around, like the Lava Lands, the High Desert Museum and the city of Bend. There is a lot to do within the resort for people of all ages, even if you don't golf. Get on your bike and hang on to your map! Truly a place for everyone. We will be back with the family next time.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunriver
Tetherow Lodges
#2 of 44 in Bend
Best Western Newberry Station
Hampton Inn & Suites Bend
WorldMark Bend - Seventh Mountain Resort

Been to Sunriver Resort? Share your experiences!