“~A wonderful fun filled vacation~” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sunriver Resort

Sunriver Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Sunriver
Bonney Lake, Washington
“~A wonderful fun filled vacation~”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2012

This resort is absolutely one of the best places to visit! There's so much to do and see at anytime of the year. You won't be disappointed. The property is huge goes forever it seems with many different types of accommodations...beautiful/affordable rental homes with 1, 2, 3, or 12+ rooms to choose from, condos, cabins, and the Inn at the main lodge. If you're going to rent a home I suggest to keep the costs down to do it as a family or with a group. There is very satisfying restaurants located on the property. The pizza place is one of my favorites. Just off of your place of stay are wide bike trails that go all the way through the resort, making it for a very nice ride and flat too. It's woodsy and private throughout Sunriver so you don't feel like everyone can see you. During the winter, one of the best ski resorts is located just 20 min away from Sunriver called Mt Bachelor. A awesome mountain with over 50 ways of getting down to the main lodge. Back at the village for winter fun there's a open ice skating rink, snow shoeing, cross country skiing paths, a quaint and fun village to gander through many shops, sleigh rides (awesome), Christmas events, and much more. During the warmer seasons there's a ton of things to do and see like river rafting, canoeing, horse back riding (fun), hot air balloon rides, mt bike riding (can rent if you don't own one), large beautiful swimming pools, hiking trails, and more. The list goes on and on. The staff at Sunriver is wonderful. This truly is a amazing vacation that I highly recommend to anyone to do! You'll be so happy that you did : )

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank kel4kev7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Portland, OR
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2012

We stayed in a Lodge Village Suite for 4 nights over springbreak 2012. The suite was roomy with vaulted ceiling, an open loft with two queen beds, and equipped with a full kitchen (minus oven), gas fireplace, 2 bathrooms. Beds were comfortable, the kitchen was usable. Some of the sitting room furniture could have done with an update, as the sofa sleeper was very soft and was not at all comfortable to sit on. The main reason for us to stay at this place was its unbeatable proximity to Mount Bachelor winter recreation, and the availability of other kid-fiendly activities such as ice skating and bike rentals right in the resort. You do pay for these amenities, of course, as the price for the suite was somewhat higher than in hotels in, say, La Pine, and equipment rentals (bikes, snow shoes) in the resort Village Mall were quite pricey as well. Also, the resort can become crowded with vacationers. Overall we were satisfied with our experience, the kids liked the available activities. One thing of note is that the bathrooms are not heated, so they tended to be ice cold in the morning. Two serious issues not comensurate with the price charged for our room: The bathroom plumbing needs work, as the showers would turn from ice cold to scalding hot depending on whether the water was running at another fauced in the room or the toilet was flushed. This is also the first hotel I have ever been to where the hot water ran out when two people took simultaneous showers in the two bathrooms.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Helotes, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2012

We enjoyed vacationing at Sunriver just a few weeks ago. It was nice to have everything you needed at one place including a grocery store, coffee shop and attractions. The village at Sunriver has a skating rink, shops and ski/snowboard rentals. The resort is spread our so you do not feel overcrowded. We took one day and rented sleds and went to a snow park up near bachelor. This was only 15 minutes away and was super fun for the kids. Lastly, Bend is only 20 minutes away which is a nice touch. Make sure to visit the Mill District which has great shops and a few restaurants. All in all a fun stay

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2012

A group of 50 went skiing at Mt. Bachelor. We stayed at Sunriver. what a great experience. From the efficient check-in process, to our servers in the bar and restaurant as well as during our banquets, everything was great. I loved that your water glass was never empty yet you never knew who filled it! Our rooms were clean and comfortable. I would got back anytime in any season!

Room Tip: If you like the spa or jauzzi request close to room when making reservations.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2012

Gorgeous wedding site, lovely service and wonderful, relaxed place to stay and see friends.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Arcata, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2012

I found this resort had everything I needed and wanted. I had not stayed in Sun River for 10 years, usually picking it's big sister in Bend but I was so happy with this choice that it made me want to return in the near future. Loved the spa, salt water pool and hot tub, great locker rooms, indoor tennis, so nice. Beds were great as well.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Portland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2012

I know this is my first review, but after a recent stay I am eager to tell others of the direction this place is headed. I have stayed here three times in the last five years, and this last trip was my last until I hear the current leadership is gone. I was even told very proudly by the front desk staff that their General Manager was just named Hotelier of the Year in Oregon. A few things to say about this. #1, when I later asked for the General Manager I was told they "haven't had one in years but that they have a managing director". #2, when I asked to speak to this person I was told they "Don't work weekends". #3, when I looked up their name I found that it was actually the Managing Director's boss, the Regional Managing Director that won this "prestigious" award.

So, while this was a minor annoyance, what caused me to be bothered by this was that I was in the midst of experiencing and endless letdown. My room was a terribly aged room that when sold over the phone I was told it was "recently updated", far from I assure you. I would post photos but they are so dark you can't make much out, my cell phone doesn't have a strong enough flash. When I opened the overpriced mini-bar I was very disappointed to see an Apple Juice that had expired over one year ago (and a bargain price of only $5).

The staff in the two dining rooms was never warm and inviting and we always felt like we had disturbed their break. In fact, between serving us you could hear their rather inappropriate conversations and watch them drink their iced tea.

Many of the buildings around the property looked amazing, great detail and very clean, but an equal amount of the buildings appeared run down and in disrepair. They either have serious budget problems or a terrible maintenance team/manager.

The spa is a joke, don't even bother.

The walking and bike paths are awesome, the views are fantastic, the golf better than average, and the local attractions are great.

In the end, you can stay for cheap and get a cheap getaway. Next time though I will stay in Bend at a place like the new Oxford and go to Sunriver to play. after all you don't have to stay there and subject yourself to their lack of hospitality in order to enjoy the paths and recreation of the area.

And one final thought about the "hotelier of the year", with such great hotels like The Stephanie Inn, The Allison Inn & Spa, and The Monaco (I'm sure I am missing more here) how can someone who operates from a regional level and never talks to a guest ever get that award; stinks to me.

Room Tip: spend more and get more, but you should stay at one of the amazing Oregon hotels that I mentioned in...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
SunriverResort_12, Director of Operations at Sunriver Resort, responded to this review, March 22, 2012
We are sorry to hear that you were displeased with your most recent stay at Sunriver Resort. We take great pride in our customer service and our team is truly committed to creating exceptional experiences for our guests. It is disappointing to learn that your visit was not consistent with our standards.

Please know that we take your comments seriously and have followed up with the appropriate departments. We hope you will reconsider staying with Sunriver Resort in the future.

Please feel free to contact me directly at kmiller@sunriver-resort.com with any additional comments.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunriver
Tetherow Lodges
Wall Street Suites
Wall Street Suites
#1 of 43 in Bend
Hampton Inn & Suites Bend

Been to Sunriver Resort? Share your experiences!