“cheap is as cheap does”

Super 8 Springfield/Eugene
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Springfield
Reviewed May 11, 2012

Super 8 in Springfield Oregon falls a little short of the usual mid range motel experience. The outside entryway to the the elevator was dirty and smelled like homeless people had been urinating there frequently. It gave my wife and I qualms about what or who we might find waiting for us when we got back to our motel after the party we were going too that night. It turned out alright but clearly the motel needs to do something about the dark stinky entryway. The room was average though a little more noise than is usual. The breakfast was resonable for a Super 8 but was pulled promptly at the designated time even though we would have liked another yogurt. All in all it wasn't too bad. At 75$ a little more expensive than it should have been. No bedbugs at least.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
A J P, General Manager at Super 8 Springfield/Eugene, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2012

Scott,

I wanted to thank you for your input and will be speaking with higher management about your comments on our entryways to see if we can brighten it up a bit to help guests feel secure. Also, I have personally spoke with my housekeeping staff about double inspecting all exterior entryways to ensure that they are as clean as possible. I apologize about any urine smell, but I assure you that if we are notified of anything like this, we will definitely take care of the problem and have it cleaned as soon as possible. Also, we will be upgrading our breakfast in the next couple of months, I truly hope that you decide to give us another chance to make up for your previous experience. Again, thank you for your input and I will forward this message to upper management to see if any further changes can be made.

Reviewed January 19, 2012

Good place for the money. Good location for the traveler going through. Would stay again..... Clean and pretty quiet.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank viper19692
Reviewed December 29, 2011

the rooms are nice, I've stayed several times. The bathrooms could use some updating and the breakfast cant really be called breakfast, just muffins and juice. Plan on breakfast at Elmers instead. Overall the value is good and the rooms are nice.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed November 30, 2011

First of all, I visit this area a lot and usually go to good, decent places. This time prices were a little inflated at my usual spots because of some seasonal events. So I rolled the dice and tried the cheapest, most okay seeming place. I really should stop rolling dice. Suffice it to say, it was less than great. Let me put it this way: it's nicer than staying in a tent, but just barely.

The drab looking building is conveniently located next to a gas station. You basically drive through the gas station to get to the very cramped parking area. When I arrived, there were only a few spots left. When I went to the lobby to check in, I got my first surprise: a sign on the door indicating the lobby was closed and directing me to a window. You know, one of those windows with the sliding drawer? Like a high security thing. But....uh...this isn't the ghetto... is it? No, it isn't. It's Springfield, Oregon. It's fine and very safe. At that time of night there were plenty of other places open, so why couldn't I just walk into a lobby to check in, LIKE EVERY OTHER HOTEL IN THE AREA?

Okay, no harm no foul,I'll let this one go for now. I get to my room and check it out - it's smallish, but functional and seems okay. There's a TV - check, curtains that never fully close (if you like to walk around nude or are the private type, this might be a concern) - check. Nice view of the gas station outside - check. Bathroom with working toilet - check, towels that are so rough, they could be used to apply the final sanding on a car prior to painting - check. Not 80 grit or anything, but not chamois soft either. Listen, I don't mind a vigorous, exfoliating rub down with a sandpaper/towel after a shower, but maybe you don't. Just trying to give an accurate picture here.

At this point I became aware of the smell. At first I thought it was a little too much of the cloying, over the top room deodorizer one encounters in hotels, but this one had a little more bite. It smelled like insecticide. Or some bad chemical. I ain't no chemist, so what do I know? It just smelled bad in a very chemical way. I opened the window and hoped for the best. Then left the room for a while. Later, it wasn't that bad and I was able to get some shuteye.

The next day, after being gone most of the day and having the cleaning staff come in, the smell was MUCH worse. So it wasn't just lingering there, it was something they came in and sprayed more of. Anyway, it was bad and gave me a horrible headache.

Checkout was perfunctory. The lady at the counter barely looked at me and said maybe two words, neither or which was "thank." Okay, it might have been three words...it was one of those "there you go" things when she handed me the receipt. "There you go?" Since when have service people been allowed to use this phrase? By the way, this isn't the first place I've had that non-thank you from a customer service person, but that's another story.

Long story short, Super8 isn't that super. Go there if you're desperate, but don't say you weren't warned.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank df94925
Reviewed October 24, 2011

We came up from Phoenix for the ASU vs. Oregon football game. This property is conveniently located right next to a full service gas station so we could get snacks and drinks for the room. Also within walking distance is an excellent brewery called Hop Valley Brewing Company. They had excellent food and drinks. There is also a Denny's diner right next to the hotel. The property has a city bus stop right in front of it, we were able to take this down to the middle of the Oregon University campus one night. If you take a taxi, it's about $13 one-way to get to the University campus. We took a taxi to Autzen Stadium for the game and was about a short 10 minute trip. The rooms are clean, but nothing too special about them. Your typical Super 8 room. The staff was super friendly and always ready to assist us with questions or recommendations. There is coffee service in the lobby. Overall, a great trip and worth the price of the room.

Room Tip: We stayed in the "suite". There is just an additional sitting area and seemed like a larg...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 23, 2011

Everything worked OK - internet, hot water, lights etc. The photos on the web were of the hotel when it was renovated so, everything is a lot older than what you see in the pictures. The hotel is located on a busy street near the freeway and you get traffic noise pretty much through the night. The hotel is close to the Gateway Mall, within an easy walk to restaurants, etc. You will find no exercise room and not much of a breakfast so, be prepared to eat elsewhere. If you stay here, you will find the hotel adequate for a fair price. Other hotels nearby cost over $100 a night.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 17, 2011

I came into town for a Duck game and stayed two nights at the hotel, Fri & Sat. The hotel is conveniently located around a gas station (easy for snacks & drinks), a great brew house, plenty of restaurants and the public transit. We took a cab back and forth to the stadium and university several times, cost about $20 each way.

We got a suite, it had a microwave, fridge and coffeemaker. The room was clean, the AC worked great, the restroom was clean. There were lots of TV stations to choose from. The bed is typical of what you would receive with any economy hotel brand, no pillow top and the standard hotel comforter (which I always throw on the ground and don't touch) but was comfortable and we slept good both nights.

The front desk staff was super nice and answered any questions we had. The breakfast was really light so don't expect a 5 course meal.

If you are looking for a clean, safe, convenient place to stay for a good price, this is the place!! There are other more 'upscale' hotels adjacent but for what they charge during a home football weekend, this hotel is the best deal in town.

I will be back and would stay here again, no second thoughts.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Springfield
Hilton Garden Inn Eugene / Springfield
GuestHouse Inn & Suites Eugene / Springfield
Valley River Inn
Valley River Inn
#6 of 38 in Eugene

Been to Super 8 Springfield/Eugene? Share your experiences!