“Steamer food, good for old people”
Review of Hometown Buffet

Hometown Buffet
Ranked #122 of 178 Restaurants in Springfield
Cuisines: American
Description: Phone 541-746-3220
Description: Phone 541-746-3220
Springfield, Oregon
“Steamer food, good for old people”
Reviewed August 23, 2014

Inside big mall, adequate parking. No stairs. Air conditioned. Many choices, lots of tables. Restrooms. Clean. It is a culinary miracle that they can make everything they cook taste about the same. The sheer absence of spices or flavors is probably GREAT for their clientele, (60's, 70's 80's, toddlers) it won't offend anyone. Its elevator music food. No one gets heartburn, that's for sure, or goes back for 2nds less they are trying to get some bang for their buck. It has its place, a nice clean place to take Grandma on Easter. Hey, I'm in my mid 60's this should sound good to me,but its like eating a loaf of white bread without the crust. You'll get full, but there's no memory of it, it was all just flat, boring, simple, plain, food. Don't bring anyone here who has a live palate.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank Cindy S

Springfield
“Breakfast at Hometown”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Breakfast at Hometown can be relaxing, or it can be an unpleasant experience from the time you approach the entrance and discover long lines on Sunday morning. The last time we went there for breakfast, 11 people "cut in" in front of us, this seems to be a customary practice, that if one family member goes in advance to wait in line, slowly, the rest of the "group" show up and all of them push in front of people who have waited patiently to get to the front, to pay for their meal and be seated. Not only is this rude, but I don't believe it should be allowed by the staff at Hometown. More than once we have left and went to another restaurant because of "overcrowding" at the waiting lines.. Once inside, the staff are all pretty friendly and helpful. However the price for dinner has soared to $13.99, which is just a bit much considering one can get a decent steak for that price. We may just give up on going to Hometown to eat, altogether....

• Visited May 2014
Eugene, Oregon
“Going down hill fast”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

I talked with you before about the people not washing after using the restrooms. my wife and I visited the restaurant Thursday meeting a friend for lunch. The salad bar had not been tended to for some time as three trays were empty and disgusting. I then I went to the other side of the salad bar and took some melon, it was also bad. You really need a quality control officer in the kitchen as the mashed potatoes are as runny as the gravy and have been this way the last 4 or 5 times I have been there. The quality of the food is suffering very bad and I don’t know that we will come again. I also have noticed that friends we have met there regularly are not there any longer. This restaurant serves a lot of people, please step back and take a look at what is happening . To top everything else off, I had a piece of coconut cake . The pH was way off in the cake as the grain was very open and tasteless while the icing was a catastrophe in itself.

• Visited January 2014
Oregon Coast
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 2,664 helpful votes
“Not as good this time”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

It had been about a year since we were last here, and they have done some remodeling. The food area is brighter and more modern, and the dessert area seems larger than before.

The salad bar is still very good - lots of selections to make your own salad plus a variety of prepared salads. Everything fresh.

There is still a lot of food available, but to us it didn't seem quite as good. The roast beef was rather tough, the pork ribs had a sort of odd taste, and I noticed that the food bins were not being filled quickly when they got low. There were traces of "chicken alfredo" but the pan never got filled during our visit.

I did really like the pot roast which was tender and tasty.

Service was lacking this time. We rarely saw anybody picking up plates until customers had gone! We ended up putting our used plates on a nearby empty table that did not get cleared off.

I don't know if the restaurant is under new (inexperienced) management or maybe this was just a bad night, but we weren't impressed.

It's still cheap and it was "okay", but not nearly as good as our previous experience.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank half-Brit
“A great buffet!”
Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

We always eat breakfast here when we are in Springfield. Food choices ate kept at good temps. Omelets are made to order. Coffee is always hot. I love the chic chip pancakes. This is one of the cleaner buffets.

Visited November 2013