“Very nice B&B in the country but close to Springfield”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Springfield
McKenzie Orchards Bed and Breakfast Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Springfield B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 30, 2012

My wife and I stayed one night kind of at the last minute on our way up to Portland. Very large nicely decorated rooms. Super nice hosts. River behind the house you can go down to and set for awhile - folding chairs provided. We got in late and didn't want to go back out for food - They offered to fix dinner (for a price $18/person). IT WAS WORTH IT! Best gourmet meal we had in two weeks of travel. I never eat fish - failed to mention it - guess what we were served - yep - fish, but fresh fish and it was GREAT!! One downside if you call it that - no TV or Music available in the rooms. We like to chill in the evenings and in order to do so, we used a common TV room available which was ok since we were only guests that night, it was a Sunday.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
cookingteacher1, Owner at McKenzie Orchards Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

We have a big-screen plasma TV in the guest lounge. However, there are some guests for whom in-room TV's in each room are very important. For these guests, the experience of staying with us will lack what they perceive as a key amenity, and so they should probably stay somewhere else. We choose not to have in-room TV's because they inevitably add noise to the environment that diminishes the experience of other guests. We place a great emphasis on peace and quiet at McKenzie Orchards.

Reviewed July 24, 2012

We recently took a trip to visit our son while he was at summer school at UO. When I searched for pet-friendly accommodations in Eugene, there were not a ton of choices beyond the lower-end chains, and nothing rated very highly. On a whim, I searched specifically for pet-friendly B and B's, and found McKenzie Orchards. I hesitated, because it looked to be a long way from campus, but the website made the property look so appealing, we went with it. How happy for us - and for our canine traveling companion, Ella.
Although it is a few miles beyond the "buzz" of campus, we found that to be a huge plus. It was so peaceful and relaxing, we didn't mind not walking to campus. The most it ever took was a 20 minute drive.
The property is lovely - acres of meadow, garden, riverfront, and even bocce ball! Ella was thrilled at the chance to wander after days on the road. The house is recently-built, especially designed to be a B & B. If you're looking for Victorian charm and vintage plumbing, this is not your place. As my husband said (with considerable relief in his voice), "Not a lace doily in sight!"
Both Tom and Karen are wonderful hosts and culinary masters. We enjoyed chatting with them and sharing a bit of our life stories. We have stayed at a few other B and B's in Eugene before, where owners/staff were very "distant" (we pretty much only saw them to get key and pay). Part of what we enjoy at a B & B is meeting new people.
We will most definitely stay here again, whether or not Ella is traveling with us.

Room Tip: Certain rooms are designated for travelers with pets; so it's best to call and confirm availabil...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 24, 2012

My son and I had the opportunity to stay at the MKOBB in early July, 2012. My son will be attending the U of O in the fall and this was our first trip to the Eugene area. I chose the B&B after reading reviews on Trip Advisor. Our experience there was even better than we had hoped for. Karen & Tom were very attentive to our needs, helping us find our way around town, find places to shop, things to do, and even help find a vet for my son's dog. The breakfasts were terrific and always included delicious fresh fruit, house made bread or coffee cake, eggs, bacon and more. We had Karen fix us dinner one night and that was great as well. We took the opportunity to sample some local Oregon wines during the 4 PM wine & snack time the hosts so graciously include every day. We stayed in one of the dog-friendly rooms on the lower level and we had our own entrance to the B&B right next to our room. Coffee was available at all times (help-yourself K-cups). The guest room was large, clean, and modern. The bathrooms were well-built with high-end plumbing fixtures. We enjoyed walking down to the river, playing bocce on the professional bocce court, and making use of the TV room to watch tennis from Wimbledon. Most B&Bs are converted older homes, some very quaint and beautiful. This one is different in that it is a modern B&B that was custom built to provide every possible convenience for its guests. I will definitely be staying there again.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 26, 2012

I'm not a b&b guy but my wife and sister in-law chose this place for Valentines day and a visit to my daughter at U of O. We signed up for the Valentine day cooking class and dinner. It was great. I don't think I could have matched a better Valentine dinner for my wife and I. Tom kept the local wines going and Karen kept the food coming.
The place was VERY clean and roomy. I was expecting a bed in a spare room, but all the rooms are master bedrooms with the master bedroom amenities. The property is huge and it is on the river.
I would highly recomend McKenzie Orchards for anyone visiting Eugene.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 19, 2012

I was on google looking for an open valentines day cooking class and this popped up in the search engine. the deal was for a valentines weekend and included a cooking class, five course meal with wine pairings, room, chocolates, flowers, and breakfast in the morning. The deal sounded amazing for the price so I went ahead and called to make the reservation. I spoke to Karen who was extremely sweet over the phone. She guaranteed a romantic room for my boyfriend and I. I also asked if there were any good hiking places nearby and she reccommmended 4 really good ones. She was so helpful about everything and seemed really excited about having us over.

On Saturday we went for a hike at Spencers butte (5 miles away) then she called to make sure we could make it to her cooking class. We arrived at 430 and were welcomed by Tom who was so welcoming to his home. He explained why he built the house and showed us to our GORGEOUS room that overlooked the mckenzie river. The room had a timed gas fireplace, a two person shower with double heads, private balcony...everything was stellar!

We came down around 530 and took the fun two hour cooking class while we ate appetizers and had some great wine! Then they had set up a romantic little table for us and served us a delicious five course meal with wine pairings.

For breakfast we had delicious waffles & bacon,

This was probably one of the greatest experiences we have had. Karen and Tom are such an amazing couple and seem to have traveled all over the world. I would reccommend this place place to anyone and any age group. I could say a million good things about the place and Karen/Tom!

We usually don't like going to places more than once but this is a place we will want to come to annually!

Room Tip: We had the Ohalie Creek room, perfect for couples! gas fireplace, private patio, double headed showe...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jessica N
Reviewed September 28, 2011

My adult son and I stayed here.two nights on a nostalgia trip to Oregon. What a hugely happy circumstance it was to find MOB&B! Already dreaming of future stays...

Room Tip: (Oops, iPad error... don't know if there is a fitness center or pool)
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Janet B
Reviewed August 2, 2011

If TripAdvisor had a 6-star rating, I'd happily plant it at the doorstep of McKenzie Orchards B&B near Eugene, Oregon. My son and I stayed 3 nights there while attending his college orientation at University of Oregon. I figured if this B&B hosted cooking classes, then we'd at least enjoy a great breakfast. Little did I realize -- even after perusing the B&B's on-line photos quite carefully -- that the accommodations, meals and hospitality would far exceed my expectations. From the crisp, farm-house style architecture, soaring dining-room windows that frame fields and river, to the graciously decorated bedrooms and super-comfy beds, we felt completely at home here.

Tom and Karen offered far more than the usual bed and breakfast formula. At cocktail hour, they set up 2 beautiful platters of saucisson, cheeses, veggies, homemade tapenades and breads, in addition to our choice of locally made Oregon wines. What a treat after long days touring the campus, hunting down apartments, and then whitewater rafting 1 hour east of Eugene. (Tom and Karen also expedited that adventure for us!) One evening when we were too bushed to head downtown for dinner, Karen and Tom offered us a "Light Bistro Supper" from a list of about 15 options. This turned out to be a feast that included Karen's prize Thai Chicken Wings recipe on a bed of Jasmine rice with a multi-vegetable slaw in a zesty marinade. For $18, this feast also included a glass of wine and an ice cream sundae covered with lip-smacking, homemade caramel sauce.

But the breakfasts ranked as the best I've ever had at any hotel or B&B. Although Karen & Tom have 2 Keurig coffee makers at-the-ready 24/7 with a variety of tea/coffee options, a fresh pot of hot coffee was poised on the counter as soon as we walked into the dining area. (An by-the-by, K&T asked US what time we wanted to eat -- unlike many B&B's that dictate breakfast time.) First Tom offered us plates of sliced fruit, juice and coffee, with different home-baked goods on the side. (The blueberry muffins are super-moist, fluffy and packed with fat, delicious berries!) Then we stuffed ourselves on different mornings with omelettes, fresh waffles, bacon, chicken sausages, etc. Wow.

Our spacious room offered plenty of space, sunlight, and cool breezes at night, in addition to a super-modern bathroom, beautifully appointed bath with tasteful tiling, Kohler fixtures, double sinks and huge glassed-in shower.

I could go on, but you'll have to experience McKenzie Orchards B&B yourself and find out the rest. I will definitely be looking for more opportunities to visit my son at college -- just so I can stay here again. Thanks to Karen and Tom for raising the quality bar for B&B's.

Room Tip: The on-line descriptions are pretty accurate, but also call and ask for more details from Karne &...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank mcdeux
Also consider these accommodations in or near Springfield
Excelsior Inn
Super 8 Springfield/Eugene
Super 8 Springfield/Eugene
#3 of 14 in Springfield
Holiday Inn Express Springfield

Been to McKenzie Orchards Bed and Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!