“Very dissapointed”

GuestHouse Inn & Suites Eugene / Springfield
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Springfield
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Although the room was nice and comfortable, the maid service was horrendous. Stayed 3 nights and every night except for the first we had to go to the desk and get coffee, creamer etc. Also had to ask for a ice bucket liner. The bathroom was never completely cleaned, towels were left on floor and hanging above the toilet. Usually, at night your room key works on the outside doors in most places when locked. Not here! We had to park then enter the lobby and walk a distance inside in excess of a 100 yards to get to our room. When your a Senior with a back or hip problem this is not pleasant. The staff at the Front Desk were pleasant and apologetic but, in my opinion there should be some jobs lost at this place. The Restaurant attached to the building was excellent. (Elmer's)

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank garylindaothello_wa
Courtney F, Manager at GuestHouse Inn & Suites Eugene / Springfield, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2014

I apologize for the experience you had while staying with us here at the Shilo Inn in Springfield OR. We're currently in the process of hiring new housekeepers, we noticed a lack of work ethic and are striving to correct the issue. The head housekeeper is making an effort to check all the housekeepers rooms once they are done cleaning to ensure mistakes like these don't continue to happen. I also want to apologize for the door issue. We noticed last week that the locks were stripped meaning you could open the lock with anything that could mimic a key. In order to ensure our guest's safety we filled the locks in until we can get a locksmith out here to re-key the doors. We understand this may cause our guests to walk a little further, but guest safety is our number one priority. We will have the doors re-keyed with key card locks instead of real keys by summer time.

Reviewed January 22, 2014

Ended up here for a tournament as all other hotels were booked. I don't even know where to begin.
- We were checking in several teenage girls...front desk staff did not use discretion when handing out keys...calling out names and room numbers for all to hear.
- The dead bolt on one of our girls' room was not working. Staff didn't seem too concerned and would do what they could to get it fixed.
- Toilet wasn't working in one of the rooms, again, staff said they couldn't fix...we said get us a new room.
- One of the exterior doors, supposedly locked at night, could be opened with ANY key. I told the front desk and it was fixed before we checked out.
- FUNKY smell in the room. Not sure if it was old smoke, animal or what, but it was bad enough that I went out and bought an air freshener.
- General maintenance clearly not a priority. Halls had painting tape on the baseboards and it looked like it had been there for months.

I felt for the staff as they are employees doing their best, working for a management company that is not investing properly. They should just tear this place down and start over.

Room Tip: Book at a different hotel - seriously.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank trish l

Trish-
We have talked to our staff about discretion when handing out room keys, it is against our policy to announce the room number at check in, the staff is supposed to point to the number engraved on the key so that you and only you are aware of the room you are in. I do want to inform you that the we have been alerted of the fact that the security door locks were stripped so we have filled those locks in with cement; they completely lock at dusk now. We are currently working on paining the hall ways so we can swap out the carpets but we are understaffed which is prolonging the process. I apologize for the service you received while you were here, but if you decide to come stay with us over the summer months you will be able to enjoy all of our renovations and we will offer you a special discounted rate.

Reviewed January 15, 2014

Pros:
Budget friendly nightly rate
Kitchenettes w/ necessary cooking utensils
Close to the Gateway Mall
Right off I-5 but no traffic noise
Clean

Cons:
I reserved this trip on the shilo.com website using a AAA rate - when I arrived they had my name and reservation but did not have details, such as, nightly rate, bed size, other necessities I had selected on the website. Which was not a problem, but they asked for the nightly rate and then said "oh, you should have called us, you would be paying A LOT less". It was just a bit of a gut punch.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Courtney F, Manager at GuestHouse Inn & Suites Eugene / Springfield, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

Thank you for your positive review. We appreciate your encouraging words. I apologize for the comment you received from one of our front desk agents, we are trying our best to train everyone to create positive interactions with our guests that will create lasting impressions. We will always give you the best deal, however, so do not hesitate to call the next time you are in town! We look forward to having you :). I apologize for the late response.

Reviewed January 15, 2014

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank Nyvala

Reviewed January 14, 2014

I should preface this with the following; under normal circumstances: I NEVER use 3d party booking sites, due to the fee$ they fold in, but I got sucked in to a $59 rate for this joint, and since shiloinns.com had $119 rooms available, I pulled the trigger and splurged. after I went over there, I found out that i could have gotten the same room off the street for less.eh, it happens*with that said, they have an OTB parlor for portalnd meadows, as it happens, in oregon, certain off track wagers have to be double the track minimum.this worked out well, actually.the breakfast was a bit under my expectations, but since they host a diner, I understand why they would want to push custom that direction.also, as it happened, during my stay there was a real 'winner' who felt compelled to hanrangue the desk clerk about the lanudrys price whilst shirtless.(they moved him as far to the back of the property as posible)(i apporve of this) with that said, I think Id maybe stay here again, but I dont think Id pay more than $45.) Im not sure if they have swimming facilties.but the OTB also had a very good selection of beer at reasonable prices on draught.-note, hotels.com made good on what I felt was an overcharge, without my even asking them.but thats secondary to the hotel review.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for your review. I apologize for the price of your room, we always do offer lower rates to those who book with us directly but the front desk agent should have informed you of that in a more respectful way. I'm glad you were able to take advantage of and enjoy the bar we have on site, it's a really great place to hang out. We do happen to have a pool but it is outside which makes it seasonal, if you call us to make a reservation over the summer months we will be sure to offer you a rate you are more comfortable with so you can enjoy it.

Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

We just needed a moment to recoup after the Oregon country fair and this was the only hotel that had a room left, so we took it and hoped for the best.
I'd never stay there again. Aside from the fact the hotel needs major upgrades, it's owned by some guy named Mark Hemstreet, who apparently nobody thinks too highly of. But regardless if ownership, this hotel and chain is not recommended. Not even for a free breakfast.

Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank richard a
Courtney F, Manager at GuestHouse Inn & Suites Eugene / Springfield, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2014

I'm terribly sorry to hear of the negative experience you had while staying at the Shilo Inn and Suites in Springfield Oregon. We are currently in progress of updating the hotel. We plan to paint the walls first and then once that is completed we will get new carpets put throughout the hotel. Once those renovations have happened the hotel's ambiance will increase 10 fold. I am however confused by your claim of Mark Hemstreet being the current owner of the hotel, because the owner's name is actually Weishan. I apologize if you received foul treatment from Mark but I want to assure you that he is in no way connected to the Shilo Inn and Suites in Springfield Oregon. I hope you decide to give us a second chance so you can receive the real Shilo Inn and Suites "affordable excellence" treatment!

Reviewed November 12, 2013

We've been staying at this Shilo Inn several times a year for about eight years because they had a free shuttle to the airport. It seems that all of our out-going flights are pre-dawn and our in-coming flights are after midnight. We don't want to drive all the way to or from home at that hour, especially in the winter. So, thank you Shilo Inn for all of the rides to the airport. On our last stay we were pleasantly surprised that they even had the breakfast out at 4 AM when we were catching the shuttle to the airport. They also offered us a free upgrade to a suite....very nice!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

I am so pleased to hear you always receive a positive, comfortable experience when staying with us here at the Shilo Inn in Springfield Oregon. We pride ourselves on affordable excellence and strive to ensure every guest leaves our doors with a smile and hopes to return in the near future. We look forward to having you back at the hotel over your next Oregon adventures, our doors are always open no matter what time it is. :)