“Superb Old Pub”

The Halfway House Inn
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Public House / Restaurant
Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

Excellent service very friendly nothing to much trouble excellent coffee and food simply superb and great value for money a gem of a place will use again for sure lovely log fire to keep you warm on a winters day

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Went to the Halfway house for lunch with a friend had two hot rolls with different filling.
The food arrived quickly and was wonderful fresh salad with it a vegetable crisps shall be going there again very soon Thank you.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

A group of us went on a wednesday before Christmas when there were a number of local bands playing including an excellent folk band whose female lead has a wonderful voice (pity I cannot remember her name). We plan to make this a regular trip as food, atmosphere and of course music all worth repeating.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

Encouraged by TA reviews, I made a reservation for me, my partner and visiting relatives on the Saturday before Christmas. Other restaurants nearby were fully booked so were glad to get somewhere to eat out. On arrival, the landlord was friendly and helpful with my elderly mother -in-law.The main bar area had quite a few empty tables but they seemed a bit small for our party and we opted for the 'restaurant' which is down a few steps. I was surprised at how few people were dining, just one other couple in the restaurant who left soon after we arrived. The place was quiet and lacked any ambience.

Tables looked a bit spartan with plain white tablecloths and not much else. Service was prompt and there was a seasonal menu with festive offerings and some standard pub fare. Drinks were fine with a range of ales and lovely cold Guinness. The food was a bit of a disappointment however. Portions were adequate and it was edible but no better than I could have hashed together in a hurry myself. By pub grub standards, it ranked quite low compared with many places I've been. The chips served with some meals were large but badly cooked. Burnt looking but soggy, I suspect they may have been pre-cooked and reheated (badly). Rump steaks were fair sized but pricey for the quality and the 'home-made mini-burger' was very... well, mini and not that appetising.
Throughout, the landlord was pleasant and attentive and the food filled a hole. But as for a Saturday night out at the peak of the pre-Christmas season, it was less than we'd hoped for. Our relatives were less than impressed and we won't be going back in a hurry.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

We booked for 12.30 but my son didn't arrived until after 1pm, in the mean time a large party of cyclists came in and ordered food. We thought we were in for a long wait but the calm staff had everything in hand and we were served a delicious Sunday lunch within 10 minutes of my son arriving. There was a good atmosphere and the food was excellent with interesting vegetables - shame we didn't have room for pudding. (Beer is good too!)