“Surprise in Sisters”

Best Western Ponderosa Lodge
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Sisters
Reviewed July 5, 2009

Nine of us traveled to Sisters on business and choosing to stay at the Best Western Ponderosa was purely an economic choice. What a surprise when we drove up to the hotel!! Beautiful grounds with terrific views of the mountains "The Three Sisters" and the rooms are certainly above average for what you usually get for the cost. Our room was $120 a night and it also comes with an extended continental breakfast which included waffles you make yourself, hard boiled eggs, muffins, bagels, juice, apples, bananas. I would have liked more variety of fruit, but that is really the only complaint I have. Early every morning wild deer visit the grounds and there are also lamas who live on the grounds. The rooms were clean with plenty of room and included a microwave and small refrigerator. The location could not be better, located just outside of the main part of town and right across the street from a large grocery store. Although we were in Sisters on business, I would like to return for pleasure as it is a beautiful and quaint town with beautiful scenery and lots of clean air and I would definitely stay at the Ponderosa Lodge again.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed June 18, 2009

We had a lovely stay at the BW Ponderosa Lodge. The Chuck Wagon continental breakfast is one of the best I've had. Spectacular peaceful setting. Perfect room -- I wanted to move in. Lots of open space. Reading other reviews, there were several dogs (I'm a dog lover but left the dog at home). The llamas are a great attraction and they are so funny and cute. Free llama food provided by the inn. Lots of people using the pool and outdoor hot tub. Next stay I will bring my swimsuit and there will definitely be a next stay.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 16, 2009

Mis-communication on nightly stay rate.....Had questions about what my card was charged any why it wasnt the receipt price. Seemed like the hotel did not want to deal with me and hung up on the bank teller and I before the bank teller was finished explaining the situation to me. The room was very nice i just wouldnt go back because of the serivce of the upper managment, which is sad since they are supposed to be the leading examples to thier employees. Deffinently a THUMBS DOWN!!!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank amoschet
Ponderosa38103, General Manager at Best Western Ponderosa Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2012

When staying at a hotel, at check in hotels authorize your debit or credit card for the entire stay plus an additional amount for possible incedentals. Banks immediately note the authorization to your account, putting that amount aside on hold (not a charge yet but not available to you either). At check out, the authorization is accessed and the charge now goes through. Regrettably, some banks are slow in noting the charge and releasing the excess back to you for available use. When we were talking with the bank representative this was explained by the bank representative, however he began talking with you regarding private information which I should not have been listening to and thus hung up. I was unaware that on a 3 way conference call, by hanging up, everyone would be disconnected. Hopefully you received my letter of apology and explanation. We are glad you enjoyed your stay during the Rodeo!

Reviewed March 7, 2009

My family went to Sisters for a youth basketball tournament. The rooms were large and the beds were comfortable for my family of 2 adults, 2 children. The people who worked the desk were nice- I don't know if they were the owners or not but they seemed to take pride in their work. They took great care of their pet llamas and allowed the children to feed them. We all enjoyed seeing the wild deer every morning lounging in the woods beyond the parking lot. There was plenty of room for the boys to run around outside. The outdoor pool looked nice but it was closed because it was February. If the pool was usable year round, I would have given them 5 stars. I saw others enjoying the hot tub. The continental breakfast was good.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed March 3, 2009

The poorly communicated pet policy of this hotel ruined a family trip. Various booking sites indicated this hotel as pet friendly, but the devil is in the details, and the details were not conveyed in any way at the time of online reservation booking.

There was an indication that pets were to be declared at the time of check-in. We made our reservation, and arrived expecting a pet friendly hotel. Upon arrival I went to check in, and confirmed that we had a pet. We were told the room we had booked for four (two adults, two kids) was not OK for pets. No indication of this had been made at the time the room was booked. The "option" provided was a room for two that was OK for pets. That hardly worked since there were four of us. Where were the other two to sleep?

The desk staff was not unpleasant, but they were also not helpful. They were quite adamant about their policy, to the point that one had to sign a document indicating that no pet would be brought to the room, subject to a $100+ fine, in order to check in. Their suggestion was to leave our pet in the car (in sub-freezing temperatures). Yeah, right.

Our golden retriever has spent every night of his life sleeping in close proximity to family or friends. Leaving him in the car would have been difficult for him and more so for the family. I had two crying kids, and upset spouse, and nowhere else to stay in town. We gave up and drove home, ruining our plans for another day in Sisters, ruining a birthday trip for our 13 year old, and driving me to write this review.

This may be a decent hotel, judging from other reviews. We never really had a chance to find out. But if you are looking for a hotel that is REALLY pet friendly, then move along, pardner. This is not it!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank rowriver
RyanReed, General Manager at Best Western Ponderosa Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2009

The Best Western Ponderosa Lodge is a pet friendly hotel with 16% of our rooms dedicated to travelers with pets. It is unfortunate you were not aware of our pet policy that appears on our reservation website along with instructions to contact us to insure availability. We actually increased our number of pet rooms in 2008. We continue, as the majority of hotels do, to have rooms that pets are not allowed in for people who are allergic or do not want to be in a room where pets are allowed.

We are sorry your trip was ruined and a birthday celebration upset. As a pet owner myself, who travels with my pets, I have learned to contact each hotel we are going to stay at ahead of time, to insure we have a pet room and that the hotel is aware we are bringing our pets. This avoids the situation you experienced. I understand your anger and frustration and am sorry. We have tried hard to avoid situations like this.

Perhaps in the turmoil there was a misunderstanding of the accommodations being offered to you rather than the suite you reserved. All of our rooms will sleep four. Our pet rooms either have two queen beds or a king with a queen sofa sleeper, the same sleeping arrangement as the suite. There would have been a place for your entire family to sleep, along with your golden retriever. Our desk staff was offering one of these rooms, waving the pet fee and provided a discounted rate of $89.99 + tax rather than the $161.99 + tax for the suite. It is unfortunate we did not make sure you understood this.

We trust you will return to Sisters soon and allow us the opportunity of accommodating your family and golden retriever. Give me a call when you know the dates you are interested in staying here at the Best Western Ponderosa Lodge.

Sincerely;

Paul Haggerty
Best Western Ponderosa Lodge
Sisters, OR
888-549-4321

Reviewed November 2, 2008

Hotel was recommended by hotel staff in Bend and we were very happy there. Good value. Met some other women that recommended a suite for next time. Would stay there 2 nights next time and have a full day to shop to fun stores. Good food at the brew pub for dinner and The Depot deli on the main street.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank kristine61
Reviewed September 1, 2008

We booked this hotel for a last-minute getaway before school started and were simply looking for a 'play to stay'. The hotel more than beat our expectations! Because we booked last-minute on a holiday weekend, we were only able to get a single king, which was not a problem, since our daughter is young and was perfectly happy with the pull-out couch.

The room itself was spacious and updated. Each room has a large balcony that overlooks the grounds/swimming pool area. The bed was reasonably comfortable. The bath had updated flooring and plenty of counter space for everyone in the morning. The shower was nice, enough water pressure (hooray!) to rinse hair, etc.

The grounds were really beautiful and the hotel staff go out of their way to accomodate families. The pool is on the small side, but when we were there, it wasn't terribly warm, so that was not a problem. The hot tub is large and covered and I can visualize slipping into the tub in the winter months...with snow all around. The owners have several llamas that you can feed and many families enjoyed seeing the llamas each day. The last morning we were there, they had a woman doing a demonstration on spinning wool, which many kids seemed to enjoy. In addition, on the backside of the property, a large family of mule deer has taken up residence and it was so COOL to see the deer so close each morning.

The continental breakfast was a perfect start to the day; waffles, fruit, yogurt, bagels, toast, etc etc. Just about everything one could ask for.

The only drawback was the hotel's location to the highway, but it certainly wasn't a problem at all.

Overall, we would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to anyone, especially those with kids as there is so much to see and do on the property.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank kat97140
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sisters
Five Pine Lodge & Spa
#12 of 44 in Bend
Sisters Motor Lodge
Sisters Motor Lodge
#3 of 4 in Sisters

Been to Best Western Ponderosa Lodge? Share your experiences!