Five Pine Lodge & Spa
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
House on Metolius(Camp Sherman)
  • Pool
Black Butte Resort(Camp Sherman)
  • Pool
View Hotel
All reviewssoaking tubmovie houseromance cabinconference centerathletic clubbrew pubbeer and wineclassic cabincraftsman stylewild flowerscentral oregonadirondack chairswine receptionsocial hourromance packageeach eveningwalk in shower
Reviewed May 28, 2009

My husband and I stayed at 5 Pines Lodge for 2 nights over my birthday weekend. We purchased the Romance Package. I would stay here again, but not in the Romance Suite (for reasons I will get to) I was a bit surprised to find them right off the main thoroughfare rather than back in the woods, so that threw me off a bit. It was not an issue, the cabins are out back and you cannot hear any traffic noise at all. The cabins themselves are breathtaking when you walk in, the bathrooms absolutely exquisite, the furnishings lovely.

Ah, but there's beauty, and then there's comfort! The waterfall spa tub you'll see in the pictures is a great idea in theory, and actually sold me on the room. However, it is ghastly uncomfortable. The tile surround (rather than a more traditional smooth ceramic bathtub) is not tushy pleasing, and the tub edges are hard and cold. Because it's so big, there's no way to lean back and relax - or cuddle. It's also at such an angle to the fireplace that you cannot really pretend to be sitting in a spa in front of a roaring fire. My mother-in-law's room with a more traditional oversized tub (with a window that opens into the main cabin so you can see the fireplace) would have been far preferrable. In addition, though the big log furniture fits the room, it too was horrifically unpleasant to sit in. I'm all for luxury and beauty, but I'd take a little less for practicality sake.

Also, the 2-person shower is bigger than some people's bathrooms and because of this you aren't exactly in a "romantic spot" standing 10 feet away from each other. Also, because of it's size, it's hard to get it nice and warm and steamy. Less would have been more.

On the positive side, everything is gorgeous and new, the staff friendly and eager to assist. Both restaurants (the sports bar and Chloe) were fantastic (I recommend the scallops at Chole and Caesar Salad at the bar) and reasonably priced. Our couples spa therapy was heavenly (yes please, more!) and the champage and chocolate and rubbing oils were of high quality and yummy. The 5pm complementary wine bar is a nice touch, and "healthy" breakfast was adequate though I always like a little grease when I'm on vacation. It was too early for the outdoor pool to be open, but it looked like a nicely done area.

On this same trip we also stayed 2 nights at a La Quinta for $70/night and their beds were more comfortable.

We typically stay at 3-4 star hotels, but rarely splurge the upgraded prices to go 5-star. For luxury, this was certainly 5-star, but for comfort ..... eh. I'm just saying it wasn't quite worth what we paid. I will stay there again, and I would recommend this resort to anybody going to Sisters (better than Black Butte condos by far!), I just wouldn't pay the extra money for the Romance room because the upgrades don't add to comfort.

If anybody from the hotel reads this, I dare you to try to go get frisky in that spa - you'll end up with bruised and scraped knees and tiles etched into your nether region. Or is that TMI?

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jaeded07
Reviewed April 27, 2009

We wanted to get away and the only place we could think of was the five pine where we stayed about a year ago. As soon as we got there we remembered exactly why we loved it so much!!!! They have excellent service, the rooms & grounds are beautiful and we are always relaxed after their 5-6pm nightly wine reception by the open fire. While back at our room I cozied up in the robes they provided, sat outside on the Adirondak chairs sipping wine & reading a book, when I happened to glance up towards the forest and saw three deer grazing ahead. What a treat!!! This time we tried El Caporal for some EXCELLENT mexican food. The service was great and the lunch specials run about 7.50. There is a beautiful outdoor patio that we would have tried if it had only been a few degrees warmer:) We also tried the Asian Fusion food over at Soji's. The owners were very kind and the food was definately good. The only downside is the place isn't that nice inside but it is clean, and they were out of some of the food we wanted to try. The mango ice tea was wonderful! Both places were recommended by the staff at five pine and we weren't disappointed. Lastly we ALWAYS love the use of the Sisters Athletic club. Personal TV's while you work out, beautiful clean locker rooms with everything you could ever need, 2 pools, 1 hot tub, steam room...the list goes on. I think we spend more time there than anywhere else when we visit. We will definatley try to make this an every 6 months trip to Five Pine Lodge. Thanks again to the great staff!!!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 7, 2009

I stayed (with a friend) at FivePine for 2 nights, 3 days and what a treat it was! The cabin we stayed in was gorgeous, Chloe was delicious and the Movie Theatre was quaint and full of character. We also enjoyed the Three Sisters Brewery and their "home-brewed" beer. The customer-service we received was impeccable and everyone there treated us like we were the only customers around; which to me, is very important. This was our first trip to a spa and we had done our research to find the best place. I'm not used to spending high amounts on anything including myself, but I feel like I definitely got what I payed for and then some. We plan on making this a 6-month ritual! Thank you to everyone at Shibui (Homini, Jeanne & Ben) for making our trip unforgettable! I truly feel like a new person.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank gartzkes
Reviewed February 16, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Lodge for our wedding anniversary. We found the cabins to be very comfortable and romantic. Large soaking bathtub, great gas fireplace, wonderful decor, comfortable king size bed. The breakfast in the lodge was more than adequate. There is a restaurant nearby and also a movie theater. Both are close enough to seem like they are on the same property. This was one of our best anniversaries by far in our 23 years together. The cabin was very quiet and had a great view out the back sliding door to a forested area. It was wonderful to keep the curtains open while the snow was falling.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank SouthernOregon
Reviewed January 21, 2009

FivePine Lodge provided a great room and service. The short stay was amazing. We stayed in the Romance Cottage with a great fireplace and soaking tub. We didn't want to leave our mini vacation.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Wiggles2198