“Luxury in Central Oregon” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Five Pine Lodge & Spa

Five Pine Lodge & Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Sisters
Portland, OR
“Luxury in Central Oregon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the lodge for my birthday. It was perfect!! The room was amazing, I couldn't believe all the amenities for the price. We took advantage of the free wine reception each night. The breakfast was great too. The highlight for me was the Spa though. It really was spectacular. I go to a spa at least once a month and this place is very unique and special. The only disappointing experience was the on premise dining. The brewery was not open and the higher end restaurant was over priced and did not taste good. We did enjoy Jen's Garden; a nearby French Provincial restaurant, which was the best meal I ever had!! We did the full 5 course meal and wine flight. I am going back again in October and I can't wait!!

• Liked — Room and Spa
  • Disliked — Resturaunt
1 Thank NWlivin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2008

Beautiful place! The view from our room was incredible and you feel you're right in the middle of the forest. The bed is very comfy and the bathroom is new and luxurious! Breakfast is perfect and their gym is full-service. Best place in Sisters!

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2008

We visited the Lodge over Memorial Day weekend and chose it as an alternative to staying in Bend. We were so happy we did! It is surely one of the loveliest places we have stayed - cabin 28 seemed brand-new and we enjoyed everything - from the waterfall soaking tub to all the beautiful linens, room amenities and the continental breakfast. Sisters (Soba noodles is great) was also fun to visit and we were only 20 minutes from Bend. The staff was exceptional and the entire property had a rustic elegance. We hated to leave but definitely will return.

• Liked — Exquisite cabin and location.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
Scotts Valley, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2008

We stayed at the resort for 4 nights on a "4th night free" package, and couldn't believe what a bargain we scored. We were allowed to bring our 2 well-travelled dogs along and our cabin was very spacious, lots of room to set up the travel crate, water bowl, blankets, etc. for the pups. The pet friendly cabins are at the edge of the property, just steps away from the bordering forest, so very easy to take them out for walks and exercise without bothering anyone else. The building construction, finishing touches and furniture all seem to be of the highest quality, very sturdy and solid, new and clean. Even though our cabin was probably the closest to the road and there was nearby construction going on for the new brewery, we didn't hear anything inside our cabin.

There were really only two glitches that we came across during our stay: (1) our key cards repeatedly kept failing to work, resulting in us being locked out of our cabin and having to trek over to the main lodge several times to get a new key. We were told they are temperamental, or the battery in the lock could be low, and I think it was an isolated experience, since our friends staying in the adjacent cabin had no problems at all with their key cards. (2) on the first two mornings of our stay the continental breakfast was set up in the main lodge lobby and was poorly stocked with plates, bowls, milk, juice. We had to ask the desk clerk a few times to restock. By the third morning the breakfast was set up in the conference center and was much better, with real cutlery and plates (vs. plastic in the lobby), plenty of beverages, and tables to sit near the fire. My best guess as to why the first two mornings weren't laid out like this was low occupancy in the hotel, just not enough guests to make it worthwhile (guessing by the cars in the parking lot, which did fill up by the 3rd day). Again, it was a minor annoyance, and didn't ruin our enjoyment overall.

We took advantage of the nearby fitness club steam room and workout facility, as well as the spa (which was fabulous), and even took the complementary beach cruiser bikes out one afternoon to tour around the town of Sisters. We have stayed in some pretty nice places (Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton, etc.) and really thought Five Pine was special for the reasonable room rates, quality construction and furnishing, good location, amenities, and pleasant staff. We travel to Bend frequently, but now have a great alternative place to stay in Sisters!

• Liked — pet friendly, new and clean, well furnished, quality
  • Disliked — the problem with the key cards failing to work in the lock
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
Glenside, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2008

I had the pleasure of spending 3 nights at Five Pine Lodge recently. Upon arrival, around 4:30 PM, I noticed A LOT of activity on the property which concerned me immediately since I was there for a sort of quiet retreat. By activity, I mean trucks arriving and departing, a fork lift bringing something up on a roof, equipment all around & men swinging hammers. RED FLAG! Turns out, there is a ton of new construction going on including a brewery and a restaurant. So I was more than a little concerned about noise levels, especially in the morning. My fears were confirmed when I took a look in my room to see what effect what this might have by staying in the Lodge. There was a trailer parked right outside the window blocking any view I might have had. I went immediately out to the front desk and nicely voiced my complaint. The young man there was very quick to upgrade me to a Classic Cottage over in the far corner of the property (actually, he gave me a choice of locations) and this was an ideal solution.
These brand new cottages are very Pacific Northwest Craftsman style, situated in a semi- circle behind the main lodge, Conference Center, Athletic Center, Shibui Spa and the Sisters Movie House (more about that later). The smaller (Classic) in the back row have a view out to the pine forest behind. The larger ones are in the front row that face the road (although all are set back somewhat from the highway).
Outside, the cottages are sort of like small wooden condos with little front porches. Each has a little deck somewhere with adirondack chairs to utilize in warmer weather and the way they are built allows some privacy. I did not like the see through window in the door, though. Being that I was there alone, it kind of gave me the creeps, especially at night, that anyone could look inside. And indeed, one morning the maid looked through the window while I was standing there in my underwear!
Beautifully designed inside using natural materials with an arts and crafts/asian asthetic. Through the front door, there's a wide entry leading past the wet bar (w/ small fridge), bathroom, then on into the main room where there is a very nicely appointed king bed (abundance of blankets and pillows), a big fireplace and plasma tv with 2 big leather and oak chairs facing them. The Craftsman style Amish made oak furniture and wood floors with area rugs throughout make it seem extremely homey and warm. Stained glass lamps and lighting add to the style, although the lighting seemed a bit dim.
The bathroom is terrific. I LOVED soaking in the giant tub while watching old movies through the open wood shuttered window. They have their own aquifier, the water is pure and abundant, so no guilt about using so much water to take a self indulgent bath every day.
The cottage was spotlessly clean and very quiet. All I heard was the wind blowing through the pines. Of course, aside from the construction, there weren't very many people there in January.
There were 2 aspects that I especially enjoyed during my stay. Shibui Spa and Sisters Movie House. Cabin 21 was literally a 1 minute walk to the theater which has first run, top grade films, not the cheaper fare. I saw 2 films I had been eager to see and would have gone for a 3rd had I not had other plans one night. Before each screening, the audience is welcomed and asked to share any problems or concerns with comfort, sound or anything else. How refreshing!!! You can order a light meal and have it served to you in your seat if you get there too late to eat at the cafe. Also, during adult oriented screenings, you can take your beer (or wine, I think) into the theater with you.
Shibui Spa is one of my favorites and is a short walk from the cabins down a paved path. I have been there before and was looking forward to a return visit. I was not disappointed. Calm and relaxing is the priority here and it's felt the moment you step through the spa doors. I had a scrub/massage one day and a facial and pedicure the next. I also took full advantage of the sauna and whirlpool. Ahhhhhhh.............
The only thing missing was the ability to eat somewhere close. I didn't have a car and the weather was not nice enough to walk into town. I had someone take me to the health food store in town to pick up a few things to eat to see me through before I checked in, so I was okay, but would have preferred a nice place to sit and have a good meal. This is being remedied with the addition of the brewery and a restaurant coming soon (separate places).
The price is great for what you get (even without a free upgrade, the cabins are only $10 more a night and I would have paid it) and I would not hesitate to come back for another stay.

• Liked — Style, bed, tub, tv
  • Disliked — window in front door, no food
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank visualgirl
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2008

We recently celebrated our honeymooon with 5 nights at the Five Pine Lodge and it couldn't have been better. The rooms were aboslutely gorgeous and the service was superior. We enjoyed ourselves so much, that we have already booked a second trip to the Five Pine Lodge.

FYI- the breakfast scones are fantastic, so make sure to get up early enough for the energy breakfast!!

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CBurby
Portland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2007

After reading the reviews i called to book a weekend at Five Pine and after nealry a dozen tries it continued to go to a voice mail box. when someone finally did answer and i told her i would like to make a reservation she quickly transferred me....to ANOTHER voice mail box!!!! i couldn't believe it! so much for customer service, you can't even make a reservation with a live person evidently. we obviously won't be staying there......

• Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
7 Thank busymama3
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sisters
BEST WESTERN Ponderosa Lodge
#2 of 43 in Bend
5.0 of 5 stars 282 reviews
WorldMark Bend - Seventh Mountain Resort
The Lodge at Eagle Crest

Been to Five Pine Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!