“Great place to stay in Central Oregon”

Five Pine Lodge & Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Sisters
Glenside, PA
“Great place to stay in Central Oregon”
Reviewed February 13, 2008

I had the pleasure of spending 3 nights at Five Pine Lodge recently. Upon arrival, around 4:30 PM, I noticed A LOT of activity on the property which concerned me immediately since I was there for a sort of quiet retreat. By activity, I mean trucks arriving and departing, a fork lift bringing something up on a roof, equipment all around & men swinging hammers. RED FLAG! Turns out, there is a ton of new construction going on including a brewery and a restaurant. So I was more than a little concerned about noise levels, especially in the morning. My fears were confirmed when I took a look in my room to see what effect what this might have by staying in the Lodge. There was a trailer parked right outside the window blocking any view I might have had. I went immediately out to the front desk and nicely voiced my complaint. The young man there was very quick to upgrade me to a Classic Cottage over in the far corner of the property (actually, he gave me a choice of locations) and this was an ideal solution.
These brand new cottages are very Pacific Northwest Craftsman style, situated in a semi- circle behind the main lodge, Conference Center, Athletic Center, Shibui Spa and the Sisters Movie House (more about that later). The smaller (Classic) in the back row have a view out to the pine forest behind. The larger ones are in the front row that face the road (although all are set back somewhat from the highway).
Outside, the cottages are sort of like small wooden condos with little front porches. Each has a little deck somewhere with adirondack chairs to utilize in warmer weather and the way they are built allows some privacy. I did not like the see through window in the door, though. Being that I was there alone, it kind of gave me the creeps, especially at night, that anyone could look inside. And indeed, one morning the maid looked through the window while I was standing there in my underwear!
Beautifully designed inside using natural materials with an arts and crafts/asian asthetic. Through the front door, there's a wide entry leading past the wet bar (w/ small fridge), bathroom, then on into the main room where there is a very nicely appointed king bed (abundance of blankets and pillows), a big fireplace and plasma tv with 2 big leather and oak chairs facing them. The Craftsman style Amish made oak furniture and wood floors with area rugs throughout make it seem extremely homey and warm. Stained glass lamps and lighting add to the style, although the lighting seemed a bit dim.
The bathroom is terrific. I LOVED soaking in the giant tub while watching old movies through the open wood shuttered window. They have their own aquifier, the water is pure and abundant, so no guilt about using so much water to take a self indulgent bath every day.
The cottage was spotlessly clean and very quiet. All I heard was the wind blowing through the pines. Of course, aside from the construction, there weren't very many people there in January.
There were 2 aspects that I especially enjoyed during my stay. Shibui Spa and Sisters Movie House. Cabin 21 was literally a 1 minute walk to the theater which has first run, top grade films, not the cheaper fare. I saw 2 films I had been eager to see and would have gone for a 3rd had I not had other plans one night. Before each screening, the audience is welcomed and asked to share any problems or concerns with comfort, sound or anything else. How refreshing!!! You can order a light meal and have it served to you in your seat if you get there too late to eat at the cafe. Also, during adult oriented screenings, you can take your beer (or wine, I think) into the theater with you.
Shibui Spa is one of my favorites and is a short walk from the cabins down a paved path. I have been there before and was looking forward to a return visit. I was not disappointed. Calm and relaxing is the priority here and it's felt the moment you step through the spa doors. I had a scrub/massage one day and a facial and pedicure the next. I also took full advantage of the sauna and whirlpool. Ahhhhhhh.............
The only thing missing was the ability to eat somewhere close. I didn't have a car and the weather was not nice enough to walk into town. I had someone take me to the health food store in town to pick up a few things to eat to see me through before I checked in, so I was okay, but would have preferred a nice place to sit and have a good meal. This is being remedied with the addition of the brewery and a restaurant coming soon (separate places).
The price is great for what you get (even without a free upgrade, the cabins are only $10 more a night and I would have paid it) and I would not hesitate to come back for another stay.

• Liked — Style, bed, tub, tv
  • Disliked — window in front door, no food
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank visualgirl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Boston, MA
Reviewed February 3, 2008

We recently celebrated our honeymooon with 5 nights at the Five Pine Lodge and it couldn't have been better. The rooms were aboslutely gorgeous and the service was superior. We enjoyed ourselves so much, that we have already booked a second trip to the Five Pine Lodge.

FYI- the breakfast scones are fantastic, so make sure to get up early enough for the energy breakfast!!

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CBurby
Portland
Reviewed December 1, 2007

After reading the reviews i called to book a weekend at Five Pine and after nealry a dozen tries it continued to go to a voice mail box. when someone finally did answer and i told her i would like to make a reservation she quickly transferred me....to ANOTHER voice mail box!!!! i couldn't believe it! so much for customer service, you can't even make a reservation with a live person evidently. we obviously won't be staying there......

• Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
7 Thank busymama3
san francisco
Reviewed November 25, 2007

Being in the hospitality business I at times can be overly critical of accomodations however Five Pines exceeded my expectations. The staff was cordial and very helpful in making our stay one of the best I have ever had making arrangements for hiking and golfing and other activities in the area. The campus of Five Pines offers 5 star amenties including a theater, Shibui Spa, fitness center, and soon to come a world class restaurant. I plan on returning in the very near future!

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank tobinita
Reviewed November 20, 2007

I recently stayed in one of their cabins for a conference and was very pleased. The cabins are classic new-style architecture, with modern amenities like a HUGE marble bathtub and a nice gas fireplace/HDTV. Even the Conference Facilities and food were great. They offer a complimentary and very healthy breakfast in the morning. My only knock is that the athletic facilities close at 6 PM for now, making them a bit difficult to use. Still, we'll be back and the prices are a great deal. If you're going to Sisters, stay here!

• Liked — The location the rooms, the staff, everything!
  • Disliked — What's not to love?
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed October 23, 2007

This lovely property is the perfect getaway. I went with a girlfriend while the hubby and child stayed home. It's perfect for girlfriends because the Craftsman/Asian cabins are lovely, the wine hour is fun, you get a free pass to the neighboring gym, there's a movie house on campus, the light breakfast that's included is yummy, there are several awesome restaurants and darling shops nearby, and a 15-mile trail-head starts here, plus they have cruiser bikes you can take on the trail or into town. But the best part is the Shibui Spa where you can spend all day being pampered and relaxing. My friend and I highly recommend this spot and plan to return every year!

• Liked — Gorgeous accomodation and setting, plus all the extras that are included
  • Disliked — Nothing, it was all good!
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank melmooreii
Reviewed September 4, 2007

This hotel is not in your list. Stayed at it this weekend and should be added. Very nice cabins with fireplaces and soaking tubs. The best lodging in Sisters.

2 Thank Edward T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sisters
Best Western Ponderosa Lodge
Hampton Inn & Suites Bend
Sisters Motor Lodge
Sisters Motor Lodge
#3 of 4 in Sisters

Been to Five Pine Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!