“Skip it! They really don't want your business anyway!!”
Review of The Gordon House

The Gordon House
Ranked #2 of 9 things to do in Silverton
Santa Monica, California
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 91 helpful votes
“Skip it! They really don't want your business anyway!!”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We are staying at The VASTLY overrated Oregon Garden Resort and was told at check-in yesterday that we could visit The Gordon House from 11:00 am - 3:00 pm as they had tours there on the hour. My Moon Handbook for Oregon (guide book) says the very same thing. So when I called The Gordon House asking for a 3:00 pm tour at 2:45 today I was disappointed to learn from a drip of a clerk that this was not the case. When I told her that the hotel had given me the information SHE SIGHED HEAVILY and said "they have been told not to put it that way." They now require reservations in advance to see the house. The clerk told me (with a hauteur that is surprising for such a non-descript and absolutely unecessary attraction) that they have NO SET SCHEDULE for their tours and that they are only given at the discretion of the Gordon House. When I explained that we had only today to see the house, she hemmed and hawed for 20 seconds or more and finally said, "Well...I...Guess...I...Could...Give...You...A...Tour...Today (pauses hers, bedrudging every word)) but I gotta split by 4:00 o'clock!" Split, really? SPLIT?? 1968 much? I, of course, said, "DON'T BOTHER." She was going out of her way to give me a tour of the place?? The ONLY attracfion in Silverton besides the lame Oregon Garden itself and she's doing ME a favor?. Really? REALLY? I say skip this place entirely - ESPECIALLY THE GORDON HOUSE - and including The Oregon Garden. It is not a "real" destination anyway - it is manufactured for the over-80 set. And I say let them keep it. There are FAR MORE important FLW houses. Try Oak Park, IL! This is a backwoods byway where the people who should be promoting their attractions are turning their customers away. The staff there are obviously louts. (Read the other reviews for confirmation!!) You have been warned!!

Visited September 2012
1 Thank cgtravers

Oro Valley, Arizona
77 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“An opportunity not to be missed”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Viewing a home by Frank Lloyd Wright in Oregon is a rare chance which I highly recommend. I visit them in any state I find them and so know his history and did not take the tour, however, if you haven't done so the docent was friendly and I'd encourage you to do the tour. The house is a treasure.

Visited September 2012
King of Prussia, Pennsylvania
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 83 helpful votes
“loved it”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We loved learning about the house. We took the tour (call ahead to book) and got a small discount for staying at the oregon garden resort. Neat architecture. Learned a lot - very friendly and knowledgeable guide!

Visited August 2012
1 Thank exchelente
Umatilla
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“First Trip.....”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Wasn't sure I would enjoy this because I like "old" as in Victorian Old architecture.....however this is way beyond what I expected....so much to learn here...and we were blessed with an amazing tour guide.....everyone should visit and enjoy!

Visited August 2012
Folsom, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“For the Grandchildren”
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Great fun for the grandchildren. They love being able to play on all of the outdoor equipment and all of the indoor trains.

Visited September 2011