“Nice local getaway”

Garden View Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Garden View Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 42 Restaurants in Silverton
Cuisines: American
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Garden View Restaurant at Oregon Garden Resort offers spectacular views of The Oregon Garden and the Willamette Valley beyond. The restaurant features Northwest-style cuisine, and offers outdoor dining on the patio, where pets are allowed.
Reviewed January 24, 2013

My wife and I took her 91 year old mom here for her birthday lunch. We have been here before and like the atmosphere overlooking the garden and the nice decor. Unfortunately we all ordered the same thing, however it was good. My wife and I split and her mom had the special prime rib sandwich. Unusually, the sandwich had a 1/4 inch thick slide of prime rib in the sandwich rather than what you would ususally think would be thin slices. It was excellent. I would suggest something be done to make the bread in the sandwich better as it was semi grilled but may have had too much butter on it. The salads were very good. The entire dining area was chilly and a couple of us left our coats on. The soup of the day was chili.

I actually like this place and usually the food is very good. I suggest that they have two soups available as chili really is not a good "soup" so to speak.

Reviewed December 13, 2012

The booths are comfortable and the dining area looks out on the Oregon Garden. Although it is a distance, the view is still nice. The wait staff were very pleasant and the food was hot and all in my party were very pleased with the food received.

Reviewed November 22, 2012

11/22/12 Oregon Gardens Thanksgiving Buffet

My husband and I decided to eat out this Thanksgiving instead of traveling. There were not that many restaurants open on Thanksgiving Day. After reviewing the choices we chose the Oregon Gardens Thanksgiving Buffet.

I am big on first impressions, cleanliness and proper food temperature.

The menu according to the website seemed well-rounded and contained a little bit of flavors to make everyone happy. We were greeted and waited just a moment to be lead to our seats.
This is where our experience went astray. We were lead through the servant’s entrance to the café seating. (It was actually labeled "Servant’s Entrance" above the door.) We were seated at a booth that did have a lovely view but much to my dismay the tables were covered with vinyl tablecloths with a flannel or polyester backing that you would purchase at a variety store. This seemed to be in juxtaposition to the quality cloth napkins and the $25 per person cost of the buffet.

After placing our drinks order we were lead to the main hallway and directed to go to a separate room for the buffet. It wasn’t exactly next door to our table but we had never been there before and did not know what to expect.

A long buffet was set up and on the outskirts of the room people were seated at tables that were covered in fresh white cloth tablecloths. What a difference a room makes! I began to feel somewhat neglected as we were all paying the same price but we received a lower ambiance.
We made our choices and headed back to our table. I can handle food that may not meet my tastes because that is just a matter of taste but I am a firm believer in general health guidelines of hot food hot and cold food cold.

This is where we went completely off road so to speak. Our meat, mash potatoes, fish, stuffing and even the yams or sweet potatoes were cold. Ok, not ice cold but barely warm. I had picked up some room temperature butter balls and they did not melt on the yams. I have to say that the roll was the definitely the best part of that trip! I did enjoy the marinated mushrooms and the green bean salad but that could have been colder.

I managed to get the attention of a waitperson and informed them that our food was cold. We were told that the staff would be notified and it would be fixed. We abandoned our plates and went to try again. Upon arrival I asked the staff if we could perhaps sit in this room instead. They were happy to accommodate us even though the tables were a bit on the large size. It did not have the view but it did have a shorter distant to the table to help keep the food hot and cloth tablecloths.

I mentioned the displeasure of the vinyl tablecloth and was told that they had received the same comment several times but the owner out of memory for a loved one requested the vinyl tablecloths in that room and they could not change it. (This did not make any sense whatsoever, well at least to me.)

This time I tried the other side of the buffet (both sides were the same) and received a nice temperature slice of turkey. The gravy was barely warm as well as the mashed potatoes.
I had some nice hot coffee and rested before making a choice from the dessert table. Would I have better luck? I would say somewhat maybe?

Although there appeared to be an over abundance of wait staff in proportion to a buffet ( they are not needed – as this is a buffet which indicates self-serving) empty food items were not being removed or refilled in a timely manner and in some cases not at all.

This appears to be the case in the dessert table which I could view while eating my second attempt at a meal. One item appeared to be completely gone with just crumbs and a cake/pie server remaining but it sat there during our entire experience.

There were two buffet servers that appeared to have the same apple crisp sort of item. Both apple crisps were available to choose from and I chose the one with a lid on it. It was my first truly hot item of the night!!! I took a sample but what is Thanksgiving without pumpkin pie?
This is where cold food was obviously not right. The cream on the pumpkin pie had melted leaving the obvious impression that it had been out at room temperature too long. The eggnog cheesecake bars looked rather “relaxed” and I believe too that this was from not being at the correct temperature. In fact, I thought they were just unappetizing mini-cheesecake squares. I did not see any resemblance of nutmeg. Items were not labeled and I did not even know they were the eggnog cheesecake bars until I got home and reviewed what was supposed to be at the buffet.

The staff did do a good job at removing plates from the table but I told my husband that the food was better monitored and at the correct temperature at Hometown Buffet than at the Oregon Garden. In fact, I did not see anyone check any of the buffet servers for temperature once. The cold foods were not on ice and the hot foods were not retaining their heat because they were not covered between patrons.

I have experienced buffets that did not have the built in hardscapes to keep food at the correct temperatures but in those cases, food was brought out in small quantities (as in a dessert table), ice for cold items and buffet servers that had lids that were easy open and shut to keep foods hot.

Would I go back for the food on a holiday? Not if it was going to be served buffet style. If it was going to be cooked to order then perhaps I would.

I have concerns when hot food is not hot and cold food is not cold and food appears to have been sitting out for long periods of time without refrigeration.

Would I go back and eat food at a café with vinyl tablecloths? Well maybe if I knew I would be happy with the food. Although, I think it is better to have no tablecloths then to have vinyl ones.

One of these days, I will go back and see the gardens themselves and I think I pack a picnic meal.

5  Thank L B
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Four of us ate dinner here as part of our two night stay and three of us got the Ribeye and were disappointed. It was too charcoaly on the outside even though cooked properly on the inside. We couldn't get rid of the charcoal taste later. The salad was good, as was the dessert. The setting overlooking the garden is really nice but the decor seems a little confused.

1  Thank uanahelefromhi
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I love how affordable the packages are.
The rooms are so nice and comfortable.
The food is out of this world Yum
We sometimes just go during the day to relax on the couches by the fire and have a glass of wine and order our favorite salad....we love this place. It's Romantic and Relaxing.

1  Thank daphne b