“Counter-intuitive”

Oregon Garden Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Silverton
Reviewed May 14, 2013

If you like plants, the location of this resort is perfect -- it's adjacent to the Oregon Garden, separated by a door you can open with your room key. You can take the tram behind the resort, and also visit the gardens after hours, which is nice. The admission to the garden is included in the hotel stay. All the rooms are on the first floor, are spacious (including a lovely a high ceiling) and are nicely and comfortably decorated. My room was very clean and quiet, unless I'm running the A/C.

However, there are some details that are counter-intuitive, at least for me. Given that most of the guests I saw here were around 60 years old -- off season, mid-May -- the below could be a hardship. So easy for the hotel to remedy most of these issues:

1. When you check in they assign you to a building that has the name of a flower. The building façades, however, are labeled only with the first letter of the flower name, so if you're assigned a room in building Dogwood you have to know to look for building D. Within 5 minutes of my arriving here an older couple asked me for directions to their room, so the system is very clearly flawed.

2. The fireplace is operated by a control that looks like an A/C thermostat, located away from the fireplace itself. To turn it on, you need to turn the "thermostat" lever up to 90; to turn it off, down to 50. The instructions were included in a printed list of directions given to me, but who reads instructions? Would have been helpful to have a label posted in each room, close to the "thermostat," saying "this gizmo on the wall turns on the fireplace. Etc."

3. The A/C is a wall unit hidden on the far corner of the room, and it took me hours to find it especially because at first glance I thought it was controlled by what turned out to be the fireplace controls. The room was so hot I turned on the fan for a long time, before realizing that there is an A/C unit in here.

4. The map of the gardens I received from the front desk does NOT show the tram station closest to the hotel, which totally disoriented me as I assumed it was station #1 which is actually the visitor center. The materials handed out to non-hotel guest garden visitors, however, clearly label that station, which is ironic because those who aren't guests at the hotel really don't need to know where to catch the tram there. Marney, the tram driver, kindly gave me a booklet with more info about the gardens. The booklet was not visible in the hotel lobby, nor the map of the gardens -- I had to ask the front desk for a map (and they gave me the flawed one described above).

5. The bed was made such that for a couple of minutes I was under the impression that only the bottom sheet had been placed on a soft mattress. Everything was tucked in at the four corners, so that I had to tug pretty hard to liberate the top sheet and comforter. Not customary, and not easy for an older person.

6. The hotel is is marketed as including a "spa," which would connote, to me, more than 2 bath towels in the bathroom and perhaps even a robe. No such luck. Had my husband been with me we would have had to ask for extra towels.

7. Beer selection at the bar pretty nice, as were the coupons for a discount on a happy hour drink.

On another positive side, the hotel is environmentally conscious, eschewing the plastic containers of shampoo and soaps and adopting instead a wall unit with shampoo, conditioner, and bath soap. Perhaps this is why each guest is only given a small bath towel?

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,824)

Reviewed May 6, 2013

We stayed at the Oregon Garden Resort because I got a coupon for it last year. We had two great days there and intend to return again this summer.
The Oregon Gardens are easily accessible and part of our package. We loved walking the grounds early in the morning or in the evening.
The rooms have fireplaces and garden views. Very nice. The staff is great and very accomodating. We loved our dinner there. Very good and nice view
I loved getting the massage which was in our package. Wonderful. Also included were winery visits and free tastings.
The town of Silverton is close by and we enjoyed walking around and touring the area.
We were a half hour from Keizer/Salem so had a chance to do things there also.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 4, 2013

This was our second trip to this resort. It keeps getting better and better. The rooms are impeccably clean and the grounds are wonderful - especially the adjacent Oregon Botanical Gardens which were included with the cost of the resort package. The dinner of halibut was wonderful and Daniel, our waiter, was probably the best waiter we've had in the past couple of years. The wine, which carries the Moonstone Properties logo, was a white cuvee and Daniel was most knowledgeable as to the blends used to produce the wine which was also delicious with the halibut. The breakfast (which was included) was very good and the baked goods each morning were delicious. This is truly the Central Oregon spot to relax and unwind, and its proximity to Silver Falls State Park is an added bonus.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms in the "P" building overlook the Wedding Garden and nice landscaping.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank rjnjjwa
Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

Away from town just enough for Serenity, peace and quiet.
Rooms are nice, decorated with taste with a cute fireplace.
Fridge and microwaves are always nice.
Gardens are free to walk through if your staying here. Bring your walking shoes! The design if the gardens are different from each other and very beautiful!
Hot tubbing at night is nice below the twinkling of the stars.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 29, 2013

After check-in we went for lunch, but were told that the dining room was closing for dinner prep in 15 minutes and were referred to the bar for food. So is the dining room closed or not?? Staff great under the circumstances. Food was odd. A wonderfully cooked steak with obviously bouillon cube sauce? Setup is a series of buildings looking more like condo community ....Furniture and décor in our room seemed a random selection from Goodwill (but in good shape). No theme or thought. Bar/Entertainment was closed by 9:45. We had a great time at the nearby Garden which is most likely the reason they exist. It was worth our package though and we would return again.....

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ohjames
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Silverton Oregon is as laid back as it gets.Small town thats close to Portland and Salem.Great feel with little shops and eateries on Main St.The real hidden treasure is the Oregon Garden and the Moonstone Resort.Clean and well kept begin the list but with the many packages they offer includes passes to view the Oregon Garden.Ride the tram for a one hour tour of the property,you cant believe the detail and the beauty.Also included is a pass to the buffet breakfast.Great price and teriffic value...........Thanx Moonstone...and Oregon Garden

Room Tip: All rooms have a small area outside with a table and chairs. Warm evening,a bottle of wine,some che...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We stayed at this hotel due to a package the hotel offered. Dinner and a bottle of wine were included in package. All were so enjoyable, as was the every staff member we encountered. The front desk was efficient, the restaurant was very comfortable to be in and situated on property to have beautiful views. The food was a bit basic but the value/quality was spot on. Their wine included in package was a pleasant surprise as I would not have expected such a great pinot noir in this package. In the two days were there, we had three meals in the restaurant while we were there and I was pleased with all. The wait staff takes good care of you and you get the feeling they like people and their jobs. We enjoyed treatments in the Resort's Spa. I chose and neck/shoulder massage and Thea worked on my tight muscles and is a pleasant individual. I would go back. The suites are laid out with about six per building. Our pet friendly suite have was very clean, bed was comfortable and had plenty of seating inside and on small patio outside. I would recommend this hotel for all reasons. Tour of Oregon Gardens was so enjoyable and that place is LOVED. All growing things are thriving. Oregon should be proud of this paradise in the countryside of Oregon. You appreciate the quieter side of life, the agriculture being grown, the care and consideration to profit from a beautiful part of this great state. The town of Silverton is so quaint...treat yourself to a drive or walk around and reminisce about the great things or years gone by........

Room Tip: Our pet friendly suite was further away from the hotel main building and I liked the placement of th...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Silverton
Silverton Inn and Suites
Silverton Inn and Suites
#2 of 2 in Silverton
The Grand Hotel in Salem
Best Western Plus Mill Creek Inn
La Quinta Inn & Suites
Hampton Inn & Suites Salem
Best Western Pacific Highway Inn

Been to Oregon Garden Resort? Share your experiences!