“great location..not so great experience”

Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Seaside Oceanfront
Ranked #24 of 27 Hotels in Seaside
The Dalles
“great location..not so great experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

My husband and I booked a room on the weekend and got into town around 1. We asked if our room might be ready (check in is at 4) it was not but they offered to call us when it was. We wandered around town and came back around 4. When we got our room info, my husband told them that he had thought that he booked an ocean view room. The employee checking us in said "yea you gotta be careful about that. It says the hotel is ocean view not the rooms." it was very hot out and we were looking forward to relaxing in our room but it was so hot we couldn't stay in it. No air conditioner but they brought a small fan. Unfortunately there was no outlet by the window so we couldn't use it to get the cooler air in from outside. The room was clean and basic. The bathroom had hair in the shower but was otherwise clean. None of the front staff were overly friendly. The friendliest employees were the ones cleaning rooms. There was always a group of employees smoking in the parking area. Great location though.

Room Tip: Ocean front hotel, not all ocean front rooms. No A/C in any rooms.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank daisey33
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Seaside Oceanfront, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear Daisey33,

Happy to hear the housekeeping staff was friendly and found most things clean. I always encourage people to book directly with Shilo Inns to make sure you get exactly what you are looking for. We are a non smoking hotel for guests and employees. We have designated areas away from the building so as not to disturb the guests. Next time try an oceanfront room that is over twice the size and offers a full kitchen, fireplace, large flat screen TV, and that awesome view.

Shaun W.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

The staff were very friendly, the rooms had really nice little kitchens with a breakfast bar and were very spacious. The location and view was to die for and one of only two places in Seaside with oceanfront dining. The balcony was big and provided an incredible view....whew spend our evenings sipping ice cold beer & pizza while watching the beautiful sunsets. The pool was open 24 hours which was great with our four year old who wakes earlier then the birds!

Only couple things could have been better......this hotel has no air conditioning in the rooms or in the restaurant, housekeeping doesn't really clean much during your stay....the kinda made the beds but no clean sheets and replenished the towels and sometimes changed the garbage.....and there hot tub was being serviced in the middle of the day so went to use the sauna and it was turned off......40 mins for it to warm up so didn't get to use it....

All in all we would definitely stay here again when we are in Seaside next.....we loved it!

Room Tip: 3rd floor or higher.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Celita40
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Seaside Oceanfront, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Celita 40,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. Always good to hear that people loved it here and that the staff was very friendly. I'll make sure we are inspecting our stay-over service. Look forward to seeing you again.

Vancouver, Washington, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

the location of this hotel is great. The rooms are very dated and in desperate need of a deep cleaning! It is not clean! I went to use the phone to call the front desk, OMG it was so filthy I was afraid to put the phone to my ear! Furthermore, if you want to reach anyone at the front desk, good luck! This chain needs to have further training for their staff and management needs to look at this location for its interior needs as well.... a overhaul is desperately needed.

Room Tip: if you don't care about the cleanliness of the room, need a oceanfront room, have a family that...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank TJN360

Travelers are raving about these Seaside hotels

Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

Terrific guest experience. Went during a busy conference, they went out of their way to provide me with all I needed (including a room I failed to adequately book). Room was very nice, facing the water. Not very large in terms of footprint, but set up well to permit a seating area as well as a sleeping area, and access to a balcony overlooking the beach.

While the Shiloh is not a luxury property, and some of the furnishings are a little older, it is kept up well and the hospitality offered is sincere.

All of this would be simply sufficient were it not for the location - which is amazing. The Shiloh is literally ON the beach. You walk past the front desk, out the back exit, and down 10 steps and you're on the sand.

Better still, it is centrally located within Seaside, a town best experienced on foot. This means you can walk to just about everything without too much effort or time spent.

Value is excellent for where this property is, too - highly recommended.

Not given five star rating simply because I save that for exceptional properties, and this is simply "very, very good." No shame in that, and a terrific place to which I hope to return.

Room Tip: Spend the money, face the water.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Danhedonia
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Seaside Oceanfront, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Danhedonia,

Happy to hear about your terrific guest experience. Thanks for sharing and pointing out our great staff, and the well kept property. Look forward to your return again in the future.

Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

My one night stay at the Shilo Inn started off bad and never recovered. I had stayed at this property many years ago and was feeling nostalgic, so I booked one of the fifth floor loft rooms.

I showed up at the front desk around 3pm to check-in. I was greeted by a rather apathetic young woman, who took my ID and swiped my credit card and then informed me that my room wasn’t ready. She took my cell phone number and said she would call when it was ready. I had schlepped my duffle bag into the hotel from my car so I had to take it back so that I could walk around the board walk.

While she was checking me in she was also talking with her co-workers about a hotel related issue that could have waited until she was finished with my check in.

I walked around for an a little bit over an hour and then went back to check on my room since I hadn’t received a phone call. When I returned, another woman was working the front desk so I explained that I was waiting for a phone call. She looked my name up and then said “We don’t have any of your information.” I tried to explain that I had already given my information, credit card and signed the registration card but she acted like it I was either lying or it was somehow my fault that they had lost my information. She reluctantly checked me into a ready loft room and then gave me a coupon good for $3 off breakfast. No apology but a $3 coupon.

I went to my room and was very disappointed by the size. It wasn't as cool as I remembered. Then I looked around and was grossed out by the filthy and worn room. The curtains and walls had mystery stains, the carpet was dirty and the wall paper was peeling off the walls.

The room did have a microwave and refrigerator but they weren't clean.

The only power outlets were in the bathroom or upstairs in the loft area. The new lamps were plugged in but the only way to get to the outlet would be to move the night stands. Many hotels have lamps that have power points in the base, that would have been helpful.

The building is made out of concrete which reminds me of living in the university dorms and is also very loud. I had only been in the room for a couple of minutes when I heard door slamming and talking from the adjoining rooms.

The bathroom has been recently remodeled and had acceptable toiletries but the shower had no pressure. I considered requesting a room move but I was only staying for one night.

As I was returning to my car to retrieve my bad I received a phone call from the front desk telling me that my room was ready. I told the front desk person that I was already in my room and she seemed very confused.

Since I was on the way down, I stopped by the front desk. I discovered that my credit card had been swiped on another reservation. The woman really didn’t know what to do. Luckily a man, (who may have been the manager) stepped in took over and told me that it was taken care. But I still didn’t receive an apology.

The pool was freezing cold and the hot tub was only luke warm.

The final straw for me was an encounter with another front desk agent, perhaps a manager but not the man who helped me before. After I brought my bag to the hotel I walked down the street to get my traditional "only at the beach" corn dog. As I was returning to the hotel I ran into this front desk agent who said in a very snarky tone, “Ahhh another healthy meal for you.” Really? That is so rude. I will never stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank TravelingTrixieBelle
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Seaside Oceanfront, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear iggyinportland,

I do take each guest stay very seriously. Every single guest should expect great service and clean rooms. I do want to hear about any incident that is not perfect so that it can be corrected and any guest can ask for me during their stay. I would much rather have a chance to resolve your issue while on property so you can rest and have a great time. I do inspect rooms each and everyday and will make sure to take a look at all loft. Thanks for pointing out some of the updates and excellent suggestion on the lamp with outlets. As we continue to remodel I will share you comments. I would love to get you in an oceanfront room where much of the remodeling has occurred.

Vancouver, Washington, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

went to this hotel both in winter and summer months. in the winter it is really really cheap. we got upgraded for free to a oceanfront room in the upstairs of our room. OMG it was AMAZING!! best upfront view of the ocean and the room looked really elegant with a winding staircase in the room. Have stay here in summer too and although it is a little bit more pricey than other hotels in the summer, it is definately worth it. the breakfast is much better than more other hotels, the staff has always been friendly and the beds are amazingly comfortable. I love their sheets, pillows, showers, towels, EVERYTHING. I feel like a really rich person every time I stay here because it is so nice.

Room Tip: the upgrade to the oceanfront room is definitely worth it
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear jessicadruet,

Happy to hear you love the hotel and that you found the loft room to be really elegant. I'll be sure to share your comments. Please come see us again.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

Spent $99 on a room with an ocean view. Room was clean and guy at the desk was very cool. I would recommend. Centrally located. View and beach are amazing. This was the first place we stayed on a Seattle to San Diego road trip. There were restaurants in town and a Walmart. We didn't try the lounge but they do have one at hotel.

• Stayed June 2013