“Excellent Location, Takes Dogs”

Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Seaside Oceanfront
Ranked #24 of 27 Hotels in Seaside
West Linn, Oregon
“Excellent Location, Takes Dogs”
Reviewed October 22, 2011

We have stayed at Shilo several times over the last couple years and have always enjoyed it. The rooms are not updated but the location of the hotel is right on the main strip in town, there is a great indoor pool/hot tub, and the hotel takes dogs. The price is reasonable compared to other hotels in the area. We will be back.

Room Tip: The Ocean view rooms are great and have a balcony with a couple chairs to sit on. The partial ocean...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
shiloinns, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Seaside Oceanfront, responded to this review, November 11, 2011
Dear Cody 92,

Thanks for being a repeat guest here at Shilo. We have many people that come here year after year and we appreciate your business. Excellent description on the room tips, the oceanfront rooms are outstanding and guests have a great experience. We are also glad to take your dog, but for those that need a pet free room please just make sure to request one as we do keep sections of the hotel pet free as well. Look forward to seeing you in the future and thanks for taking the time share your experience.

Shaun – General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Seattle Washington
Reviewed October 21, 2011

In 1805-06 Lewis & Clark spent their "end of the trail" near Seaside. They would say summertime with sun is the time to visit Seaside. I'm thinking Lewis & Clark would recommend the amenities at the Shilo Inn combined with the golden sand beach and varied shops "on Broadway" yet only a few blocks from the Clatsop Indian's saltworks they visited. Like me, they'd probably ride the bumper cars or visit the arcade. There's much to do in Seaside, both inside and out.

My experience here this time began with pleasant, helpful people at the Shilo desk. Requesting an ocean view room up high for a better view, my lovely spacious room overlooked the Lewis & Clark statue and turn-around. With new bed and linens, granite counters in the handy kitchen and a wonderful deck, everything was fresh, clean and invitingly ideal. All with the sights and sounds of the beach and surf! After sunset while campfires blazed on the beach my cozy gas fireplace provided atmosphere and warmth.

As alternatives to the sea, non-view eateries and cooking in your room, enjoy the Shilo's indoor pool with Jacuzzi and good ocean view restaurant. Being pet friendly and self-serve complimentary coffee made my stay even better for friends. Like to walk? Choose cushy or firm beach sand or the marvelous 1.5 mile Promenade both only a step outside the Shilo. I'm sold on the Shilo Inn and think Lewis & Clark would be, too.

Room Tip: Top floor in the middle of the building to avoid the restaurant roof.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Dear PanoramaPoint,

What a creative thoughtful review. I would add that Seaman, Lewis’ Newfoundland dog, would enjoy the comfort of our pet friendly rooms. Very happy to hear you had a great time in Seaside, enjoyed many of our amenities, our great location close to all the attractions in Seaside, and hope to see you again in the future.

Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed October 6, 2011

The room was big and had nice amenities (kitchenette, fireplace, balcony). It was outdated and smelled funny. We just opened the sliding glass door and the sell was gone. We had a nice ocean view. We each got a complimentary glass of wine and they had live music in the restaurant/bar. The food there was also just ok. The service was nothing great. The pool area was nice and open 24 hours. We paid $10 more on Expedia than they were quoting walk in customers.

Room Tip: pay the extra for the ocean front rooms, they are nicer and offer a fire place and balcony
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
shiloinns, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Seaside Oceanfront, responded to this review, October 11, 2011
Dear Jessica M

Wonderful to hear that you got enjoy the large oceanfront room with the kitchenette, fireplace and balcony. I’m sorry to hear food and service is just ok, I really feel our service should be to exceed people’s expectations at all times and I will be spending a lot time with the staff here to meet these standards. Do hope to see you again soon!

Issaquah, Washington
Reviewed September 24, 2011

Positives, excellent location, nice pool, gameroom for the kids, food was good (we only had one dinner there), Dessert was excellent :)

Things to improve:
On check in, the room wasn't quite ready so was told that we would get a call to let us know when ready. Went ahead and checked in, etc, which was nice. Never got the call, but went back and 4 and the room was ready. No advice or direction when checking in. Had to ask where the luggage racks could be found, where the elevator was, how do we access the beach, etc .... felt like I was bothering the clerk with my questions.

Room was nice, view was great ...I would think you could wipe down the deck furniture and railings for each new guest, and clean the windows.

TV - outdated , but note in other reviews you are changing that. Wasn't that big of deal as we were there for the view / ocean.

Not enough dishes, the dishes were very random. Had like 3 plates, weird sizes, etc. Did have wine opener, though! :)

Notes about 'you decide" keeping the planet green by hanging our towels and reusing. Would be nice if there was a decent place to hang them. Had an ironing board. No iron. Shower head was terrible, no spray, just a stream of water .. tipped the cleaning crew daily, but had to ask for thing like a refill on kleenex and toilet paper.

Room was roasting hot when we got there. No AC and someone had turned the heater on prior to our arrival. We asked for a fan and got one, which was great, but the nighttime 'fix it' guy was a little cranky.

Laundry room on the 3rd floor was really bad. The floor was wet, dirty and slippery. The soda vending machine ate our money and delivered noting. The washer and Dryer were dirty. I would think that laundry room could be scrubbbed down everyday. I noticed over the week tat it was rarely in use, so don't think that was a daily mess created by the visitors.

I spent almost 1000 for 3 night stay. I thought it might be a bit nicer...but I do have to say the location was great, not all the stuff was unfriendly. Room service was fantastic. My suggestion were just that ...suggestions ..... I think we'll be back :)

Room Tip: Choose a room, ocean side higher floors and further north.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
shiloinns, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Seaside Oceanfront, responded to this review, October 10, 2011
Dear Sandi D

Happy to hear that you will be back and that you found the location, and restaurant excellent. I hope you joined our rewards program! I definitely will take note of your suggestions, share them with the staff and make changes where necessary. One should always expect service from the front desk that will exceed expectations and I’m sorry this did not come across to you. I do look forward to seeing you again.

Thanks for you time,

Reviewed September 18, 2011

Checking in was less than pleasant. Just wanted your credit card and with less than a smile you recieve your room key and no direction to where your room maybe. It was easy to find but it would have been nice of her to have atleast directed me to the elevators.

The worst was have breakfast at the Shilo restaurant. There was about 7 tables with customers the other 20 or so tables where empty. My husband, daughter and I arrived about the same time a family of four arrived they where promptly directed to their table. We waited for who I thought was the hostess to come back and lead us to our table but that didn't happen she just went straight to the kitchen. Ten minutes later and 5 people who said they would be right with us we finally got seated. Just don't understand why we had to wait so long, this place was less than half packed. As others started to come in there was absolutely no wait time for them.

Check out time. The guy said it was all taken care off I asked for a reciepts and apparently they do not give you one when you book online????? So I asked how much was charged to my card????? They also do not know that answer. Hmmmm never stayed at a place that couldn't tell me how much my room was.

• Stayed September 2011
shiloinns, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Seaside Oceanfront, responded to this review, September 21, 2011
Dear Lb137

Customer service is extremely important. You should always be greeted with the Shilo smile and friendliness. I’m sorry that you did not feel this way and I assure you that I have heard your comments and they will be shared with our staff. Unfortunately, it is a true story that when a guest books on any of the thousands of websites out there that we don’t actually know the exact dollar amount you spent on the room. As a guest you pay that website directly and any receipts come from the website that you booked with. I am sorry for the inconvenience.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed September 11, 2011

We stayed here on Labor Day, 2011. The room was clean and comfortable. The beach was immediately adjacent to the hotel and is gorgeous. Unfortunately, it was cold and foggy but there were still many kids in swimming suits even though I was wearing a sweatshirt and a jacket.

The clerk gave us coupons for a glass of wine which we used. While it was house wine, it was fun to sit in their bar and listen to the regulars.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
shiloinns, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Seaside Oceanfront, responded to this review, September 20, 2011
Dear Hedorik,

Thanks for sharing your experience, I too enjoy spending time with our regular guest in the lounge. We are great location just steps from the beach, Prom, and all the shops just like your mention and our staff is dedicated to provide Shilo clean rooms. We look forward to seeing you again.

Port Orchard, Washington
Reviewed September 3, 2011

Shilo Oceanfront is in a prime location in the heart of Seaside next to the beach, close to everything. That being said, the hotel is pretty old and even though the room was clean, the carpet was coming up, handrails sticky and gross, bed old and uncomfortable (sunken in the middle). We opted not to use the pool or hot tub because there were alot of kids and they looked kind of gross. Alot of the hotels in Seaside are getting very old and I'm not sure they would be much better, but the Shilo charges a premium price without the premium quality. We will definitely stay somewhere else next time. We used to stay at the Ebb Tide which is old but oceanfront rooms are alot cheaper. We may stay at the Seaside Condominiums next door to the Shilo next time we go.

Room Tip: Even though loft room provides nice view, you look over the roof. Go for the oceanfront suite to get...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear larrys818

Your comments are definitely noted. We do have some new mattress arriving shortly and I will inspect each of our loft room beds. Thanks for letting others know that you did find the room clean and this is the prime location in the heart of Seaside. Your tip is fantastic, oceanfront rooms are much larger with perfect views. We do have some updates coming this fall and I hope you come back to see us.

Shaun - General Manager