“We will be back...”

Sandy Cove Inn
Ranked #12 of 27 Hotels in Seaside
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 2, 2012

We had a great experience at Sandy Cove Inn. The staff (and June) was friendly and the location was great. It is in the "quiet" part of Seaside, away from the big resorts but close enough that we could walk down the boardwalk to get anywhere and the walk to the beach is very easy. The staff recommended some fabulous restaurants. Our room was very clean and was very cute. The walls were a little thin or the plumbing was loud, but it only really bothered us when our upstairs neighbor was showering in the middle of the night. It was nothing to get upset over! The angled parking proved to be an experience when someone had parked their van and trailer in the area cars needed to back out properly. However, that falls more on the owners of the van, rather than the owners of the motel! Overall, a great trip!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cougar0711
Management response:Responded July 6, 2012

Glad to hear you enjoyed meeting June - she's quite a character, huh? We love the fact that she is just as much a part of the motel experience as Mike's good dining recommendations and the charming rooms. We were so happy to have you stay with us and look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed July 1, 2012

Stayed here on night 2 of my 4-day dad & kids only trip. A good motel was key to our "fun in Seaside" day. The Sandy Cove hit it with our stay in the "Kids Room" with its bunk bed plus queen, old school VCR collection for free borrowing, and the really neat tree mural in the room with hidden pictures in the bark. The kitchenette with sink, fridge, microwave, coffee maker, and dishes/utensils made for effective use of our road food. It is close to beach access and removed from the fray of the downtown arcade and candy shop scene. The lobby is small but very nice with comfy seats, chess board, piano, and a big, fat, cat!

Room Tip: Use the website to view different rooms - they are all different!
Management response:Responded July 6, 2012

I'm happy to hear you enjoyed the mural in the "Kids Room". It's so much fun trying to find all of the hidden items inside of the painting. My sister has put up a few murals in the motel and we are so proud of her artistic abilities. We think the murals really add a unique touch to the rooms. Thanks for staying with us!

Reviewed June 30, 2012

We stayed in the Downing House.The service was excellent, the staff at the office of Sandy Cove Inn could not have been nicer or more helpful.

But, there were a couple of things that had me bothered. First off, there were crumbs and "stuff" on the kitchen floor. I swept and cleaned the floor before even getting started with any unpacking.
Then I pulled out the wooden bread drawer to set a pot on and it was fill with crumbs (like toast or bread crumbs)....now I am totally leery of anything in the kitchen, so I run the water as hot as I can get it and wash everything that I think I might be needing to use.

Come bed time.....I pulled out the bed on the hide a bed couch and we all think exactly as citygirlfromseattle that the sheets had NOT been changed from previous quests. I pulled the bedding off of the bed and slept wrapped up in my own extra blankets that I brought. The mattress was so poor on the hide a bed that after the first night, I pulled it off of the couch and put the mattress directly onto the floor.

The towels were definitely fresh and clean and the bathroom was clean.

Would I stay there again......possibly on the off chance that this was a one time problem because I loved the location and the price and, my dog was allowed. I was disappointed that the grass had not been mowed in some time so every time we went outside, we got totally wet feet plus the unkept grass made the place look shabby.

But next time I travel away, I am going to throw in a couple of my own sheets.

1  Thank Louise S
Management response:Responded July 2, 2012

Oh boy - looks like we screwed up again. We are so sorry that you had this experience - definitely not our intention. Mike and I have asked ourselves how this could happen and we've come up with a few scenarios. You can bet that we will be doing everything to make sure this does not happen again. Next time you have an issue please, please don't hesitate to let us know right away. When our guests tell us the minute something is a little off, this allows us to pinpoint and address the problem immediately. We were so glad to have you stay with us and hope to see you again soon - with all the problems cleared up!

Reviewed June 29, 2012 via mobile

This local hotel provided a great option for our larger family with a futon-bunk bed combo that our daughter loved. Rooms are not cookie cutter standard so each setup is probably different. The decor was pleasant, inviting, and clean. We appreciated the free wifi, which was fast. The kitchenette (fridge, microwave, sink, coffeemaker, dishes) would have been helpful if we were staying more than one night. The walk to the beach for sunset was short and pleasant. There did not seem to be any options within walking distance for breakfast open by 8:00 on a weekday, but other places in the center of town were open. Staff at the hotel were very pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed June 29, 2012

We stayed at Sandy Cove Inn at the Columbia Towers Townhouse/condo unit. It has a full kitchen which was nicely stocked with utensils, dishes, cutlery and pots/pans. I loved how charming the place was. Very clean too. The bed was comfy and there were extra towels in the bathroom, which is adjacent to the bedroom. The kids loved the good collection on VHS tapes, especially Bambi, which they have never seen. I would totally recommend this unit. It has an old world country vibe to it which I enjoyed since it is so different from home. I loved that the beach was only 2 blocks away. The beach was also less crowded since this property is on the outskirts of town. It was a perfect getaway.

Reviewed June 27, 2012

Sandy Cove Inn looked like a great place to spend the night. The owners have remodeled an old motor inn and have done a very nice job of it. I thought the front desk guy was personable and helpful, and the price is certainly attractive. The location is great. We stayed in the Vintage Games room. However....I stay at hotels and motels because I need a place to sleep. The mattress was soft and lumpy and probably should have been recycled a long time ago, and the walls are thin. Surprising that the owners would not upgrade the beds in the remodel process. These were not the biggest concerns I had though. I don't think the sheets had been changed from a prior guest! The towels were fresh, and the bed was made, but there is considerable doubt in my mind about the sheets. I've never experienced anything like that and I don't think my mind wanted to accept the possibility. I didn't say anything that night, but I mentioned it to my husband the next day. He thought the same, which really worries me because he never notices things like that. I sent the motel an email asking about the possibility of this, and have not received a response after two days. It's unlikely I will stay here again.
The room was clean with the exception of the linens on the bed which was a big deal, thus the low rating for cleanliness.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank citygirlfromseattle
Management response:Responded June 28, 2012

I am so sorry you had a question about our linens and didn't ask us in person - we would have investigated the issue immediately and it really would have helped us to pinpoint a possible problem. I can assure you that we treat cleanliness as THE MOST important thing we do around here (as you can see from all of the previous reviews). As far as sending us an email, we haven't received anything from you - but we would really like to speak with you in person. We'll get to the bottom of your issue as soon as we can get a hold of you. On a more positive note, we are glad you enjoyed the location - we think it's pretty awesome too!

Reviewed June 25, 2012

The management and staff are friendly and responsive, the rooms are clean and each one has a unique decor. Unfortunately, a young man was getting loud in the middle of the night, but the owner was right on top of it, and had him ejected by the police immediately. If not for that event, the stay would have been perfect. As it was, we still had a good stay, and would definitely visit Sandy Cove Inn again.