“Expensive compared to Shilo” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN Ocean View Resort

BEST WESTERN Ocean View Resort
Ranked #12 of 26 Hotels in Seaside
“Expensive compared to Shilo”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2010

Pros: fireplace, beach front with view, EXTREMELY hot water and kitchenette.

Cons: no fan in bathroom, slider hard to open, had no coffee packet, small old TV (I didn't know the box TV still existed), dogs pissed twice on the bottom floor (I recommend tiling the first two floors to help with dog urine cleanup as well as sand), a very STRONG perfume smell on pillow, weak wifi, key lock that goes outside worked 1 out of 3 times, no spout outside, short timer on fireplace. Expensive $250/night versus Shilo's $209. We had a dog, so $20 extra a night (Shilo's would have a flat $25), the dog would not eat the treats...hmm...

• Stayed September 2010
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Owner53, Owner at BEST WESTERN Ocean View Resort, responded to this review, November 18, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am very sorry about the various issues raised during your stay and have taken the necessary steps to ensure that these conditions are not repeated. The wi-fi situation has been resolved as well as any missing condiment or coffee packets in the rooms. In 2011 we will have a dog-washing area outside the hotel and hotel's corridor flooring is being replaced. The hotel is undergoing a room renovation as we speak and we are receiving rave comments from guests who have experienced the new rooms. I know that you have many choices for your lodging needs and can only ask that you give us another try. We really do care and, we offer a number of online room rate specials that I am sure you will find to be agreeable with you. Thanks again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2010

The GOOD: Very nice front desk staff, maintenance and polite housekeeping. Great location on the Promenade. Clean Room. THOUGH The PROBLEM was the ROOM. We paid for an Ocean Front King Suite with Jacuzzi. NO A/C. TINY balcony, WI-FI SOOOOO SLOW and unreliable. At the end, they tried to charge us extra for a movie that we returned...said they did not receive it back which was completely false. Also if you put your DO NOT DISTURB card, Housekeeping will STILL come in to your room unless you call front desk to tell them you do not want housekeeping services for the day. We came back from Golf and they were in our room while our card was still in the key slot. Are you serious???!! They said that people forget the card is on the door and they get angry if they come back and the room is not clean. Give me a break.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Snohomish, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2010

We stayed in an ocean front room with a queen bed, murphy bed, kitchenette and fireplace. We could see the ocean from anyplace (except the bathroom) in the room. The hotel is right on the promenade about two blocks north of town center, near the aquarium. We found the hotel to be fairly clean and the staff to be helpful. The only negative I could find in the room was the sliding glass door was difficult to move and on occasion, there was a slight septic-type odor coming from somewhere in or near the hotel. Of course, the ocean breeze when blowing, took care of that. We will stay here again. One recommendation for the hotel would be to offer a boot or foot washing station somewhere outside the facility. This would cut down on the amount of sand carried into the hotel, rooms and bathtubs. Just an idea.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Owner53, Owner at BEST WESTERN Ocean View Resort, responded to this review, December 14, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I especially appreciate your positive comments about the hotel's staff and the cleanliness of the hotel's rooms. I also want to thank you for your suggestion relating to a foot-washing area outside the hotel. Great suggestion that we will follow-up with. Thank you again.
Calgary
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2010

We booked at this hotel because we had BW gift cards. When checking in, they very friendly but very busy and did not have time right then to process the gift cards (they did apologize.) I was nervous about handing them over so the clerk made me a copy and I went away happy. It did take 3 visits to the desk to find out what our remaining balance would be on the cards but didn't mind, they were friendly each time. I was expecting a very small queen room at the back of the hotel for the price they had confirmed online I think it was $109 - too much but the location is great) so was not suprised at the size (it was very small but adequate for one person for one night - two people would be cramped and more than one night would not be great.) What I was not expecting was to be in a little hallway with four other rooms-when I opened my door in the morning I was face to face with another woman coming out of her little room. Warning, if you book check to see what kind of room you are getting and where your room is. You will be very very suprised and very very unhappy if you are expecting beachfront and a room like the picture here-my room was so small (and dark) it would be difficult to photograph as you would be unable to back up far enough to do so without backing into the room across the hall! Having said all this, it was fine, seemed clean enough although it did have a very perfumy smell, I think it is the cleaning products BW used as last year I was in a nicer hotel in Carlsbad Ca and it also smelled kind of like that. I had to open the window and turn the fans on full blast to get rid of it (there is an overhead fan above the bed and also an AC/heater unit under the window I did not shower that morning so no idea what that was like but the bathroom seemed fine as I recall. I did have a little bit of a view but if my drapes had been open, everyone walking by on the outside walkway would have been able to see in. The hotel is right on the beach and is an easy walk to main street which was great and overcame any room size/location factors. We ate breakfast in the hotel and they could not figure out how to enter the gift cards so we ate for free. It was a typical hotel buffet. Overpriced and not great but not terrible either. Parking was very good, did not try the pool as it didn't look great.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Owner53, Owner at BEST WESTERN Ocean View Resort, responded to this review, September 12, 2010
Thank you for writing to us. The room you booked is an "economy" room with no-view and is advertised as such on all of our advertising and online materials. These rooms adjoin an oceanfront room forming a two-room suite. These smaller, economy rooms are intended to be booked as part of the two-room suite however, they are made available for the economy-minded traveler as a "non-view" room. I am sure that you would have been much more comfortable in one of our ocean front rooms. I do apologize for the inconvenience you experienced and I hope you will visit us again.

Owner
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2010

We had a reservation at another hotel in Seaside for our 4 day vacation (The Tides, boo). During the time since we made our reservation and our arrival date they decided to not take pets, so when we arrived to check-in with our puppy we were out of luck and without a hotel. The staff at the Best Western saved us! They were amazing from the initial call with Monica to book the room to Paul and Tiffany at the Front Desk to our housekeeper and everyone else we encountered. They made our trip a success. We will be back!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks again for staying with us as well as the positive comments. We appreciate the kind words about our staff service and endeavor to treat our guests like family. Thanks again..
Portland, OR
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2010

The family and I stayed one night for a little mini vacation at the Oregon Coast. We picked the Best Western because it was the least expensive decent oceanfront hotel in Seaside / Cannon Beach area. Having said that, you're still paying four star prices for a two star joint. We get to our room and are greeted with a great view of ---- the parking lot. The furnishings need updating and I was surprised to find the room lacks a safe. In order to put away your valuables, you have to go to the front desk, sign in, have the clerk give you a key and a safety deposit box and return the box to the clerk. This turns a 10 second procedure into a 10 minute affair. As other travelers have already mentioned, I didn't like the fact that the shower lacked a tub. Anyone taking a shower makes the entire bathroom floor wet. Positives? It's right on the beach only steps away from the sand and it also has an okay indoor pool for when the kids are done freezing in the surf.

Although I wouldn't recommend the place, anyone wanting to stay at the oceanfront in Seaside / Cannon Beach area doesn't really have much of a choice. For us, we're probably going to try to explore other options the next time around.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank yiching
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am very sorry that the room was not to your liking. It is advertised as a "small, economy non-view room" and as such, it is limited. The desk clerk on duty should have offered you an opportunity to upgrade to an ocean front room which I am sure would have been more pleasing to you. Again, my apology.
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2010

I have never written a bad review, always giving people the benefit of the doubt when I have had a bad experience. However, the customer service was horrific. Very rude staff. Please make sure you know the price they quote can and will change upon arrival. There are many decent choices of hotels along the boardwalk. My advice is to do yourself a favor and choose another hotel. We were told this particular Best Western has a reputation of bad service after we left, and we were not surprised.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank eightby
Dear Guest:
I have read this review and quite honestly, it looks like this review is for the wrong hotel. I have checked all of our logs and we do not find any record of a guest recording a complaint at the hotel like this. When guests book the Best Western they receive a confirmation for both the rate and room type. At check-in we ask all guests to: (i) confirm the rate, (ii) confirm the check-out date. After checking in we call each guest's room (as a courtesy) to find out if the room is satisfactory. We have no records of any guests around the time that you stayed who had complained of some "bait and switch" scheme. We would never, ever do that to a guest. So, please accept my apology however your review of my hotel appears to be for another hotel.
The Owner.