“Quick Family escape”

Best Western Ocean View Resort
Ranked #12 of 27 Hotels in Seaside
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I had to smile when I arrived, as I flashed back to the reviews that I had read... stating that the property is full of children. Yup, it really is! And of course the risk you run into is that not all parents try to control theirs to the same standard as, say we do!
Parents - really? Why do you think it's ok to let the kids run up and down the halls for a prolonged period, shouting at the top of their lungs? REALLY?
That said - the kids certainly felt very welcome!
But if you are looking for a romantic adult escape. This place ain't it! : )
PROS:
Location - spectacular right on the beach and boardwalk. Lovely. EAsy walk to teh main street. Great spot for beach bonfires which are legal here. And they sell firewood everywhere, including the front desk.
Seaside is a funny, quirky town - full of history. I loved the copies of "Goonies" available everywhere. This 80's movie was filmed in the area and the kids enjoyed trying to place where different scenes were shot.
There is a great skateboard park in town, if that matters to you. And no shortage of surf shops. It's got an easy, laid back surfer dude feel to it.
Seaside is an easy drive to Cannon Beach as well which was wonderful.

The major CON
The beds!!!! so extremely soft that my back suffered for weeks afterwards. And I am not prone to exaggeration. The beds are extremely soft. Not good for someone like me with back issues.
For that reason - I won't go back.

When we arrived, there was a note on the door from the Manager letting us know that they were doing work on the outside of the building - but that it should have absolutely no impact on us. Well - they pressure washed during a good portion of the next day. Not sure how this could have no impact. It meant we could not open the windows for a couple of hours. And as we had been on a long road trip to get here - we all really needed to nap, so this was indeed most inconvenient to us. We were too tired to complain though.

One final note. They do not seem to have air conditioning. Wasn't a problem for us given the weather. But I imagine it would get very stuffy in there in the hot summer months!

Room Tip: Water view is well worth it.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Terrance B, Owner at Best Western Ocean View Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2013

I am sorry that the hotel's other guests and children were not your liking. We do cater to a lot of families who enjoy the beach and the hotel's facilities. I am sorry that our other guests are not always courteous of each other and we will try to better manage these situations. Thank you for staying with us.

There are newer reviews for Best Western Ocean View Resort

Reviewed September 23, 2013

There's no question the location is fantastic if you're planning on spending time at the beach. However, if you're just passing through as we were, you may want to consider a non-beach property. Our room was incredibly small. We had a single queen and as soon as you walked in the door, you could only take maybe 2 steps before you ran into the bed, wall or desk. The bed was also just about a step or two away from the bathroom door. The bathroom is so small I had to step between the countertop and tolilet to close the door. The room was hot and even though we ran the air all night as low as it could go, it never got cool. We left too early for breakfast the next morning, but since there's a restaurant on site, I'm not sure if the breakfast was complimentary or not - something you might want to check out before you book.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

I am very sorry you feel this way. The room you booked was a small, economy, non-view room and yes, it is small. I am sure you would have been more than satisfied with one of our ocean front or partial view rooms. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

We were on a 5 day road trip but only had 1 night for the Oregon coast. The 1 King 1 Queen room had a nice king bed and also a wall bed, which worked well for the kids. The oceanview from the balcony was awesome, especially when we watched the sunset around 8pm. The location was superb, right on the beach. The only concern was the $350 price tag, but in fairness, all hotels during summer are expensive on the coast. Oh, it was fully booked so I guess the market rate was reasonable. The kitchenette was great, we bought our groceries from a nearby Safeway and enjoyed a beautiful breakfast in the morning. I'm wondering why it's not at least a BW Plus? The front desk staff were great, offered suggestions and even printed a tide schedule for visiting the beach. There's a computer in the lobby to surf the web and print whatever you need. Will visit again next year.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank BHP_YVR
Terrance B, Owner at Best Western Ocean View Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Thanks for the GREAT comments and positive feedback. We thrive on it.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

The staff was welcoming and eager to make our stay special. We had the king/queen with fireplace, kitchenette, and "superior" ocean view. We loved having a kitchen with real dishes, sink, microwave, etc. even a dishwasher. There is no oven or toaster oven, though, so don't bring a frozen pizza. The fireplace was a big disappointment, as, it is fake, without even heat coming from it. Since I knew the weather was going to be rainy, this was actually high on my list for this trip, and was the reason I chose this particular hotel. It is ocean front, however in Seaside you are bit further from the water than other beachtowns. As far as a "superior" view, it was nice, but I wouldn't classify it as superior. It is a little limited with part of the hotel building blocking the view to our left, and the power lines and Promenade running in front of our balcony. Plus, the balcony railing are bars rather than a clear glass. If you are standing it's nice, but if you are lounging then it's definitely not as nice. This all may be a bit picky, but I paid extra for the promise of a fireplace and a superior view. The beds were nice, pillowtop, and comfy. It was quiet. I don't know if it's the quality of the walls, or the hotel just wasn't very full, but it was great to have a full night of sleep without hearing any neighbors, until 5:50am when somebody was using the ice machine; that did wake me up. Everything was clean looking and no unpleasant odors. The chairs were a bit stained. The remotes for the T.V. didn't work very well: a minor annoyance. There is a dvd player, though. That is a very nice extra. Overall, It was a nice, mid-level hotel, comfortable, pleasant, elevators, nice staff, and great location.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Susan B

Thank you very much for the kind words and identifying a few areas where we could improve.. We appreciate the overall feedback and will work harder for all of our guests to ensure they have the experience they are looking for.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

I was in Seaside for a couple of days on a solo vacation. I had one of the king rooms with the jetted tub on the 4th floor. The view of the ocean was spectacular. Note that rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floors may have the view blocked by a light post. The room was clean but oddly arranged. The sink was outside the bathroom across from the closet. The bathroom was tiny, tiny, with just enough room for a commode and a shower/tub combo. The jetted tub was nice, but the windows were streaked on the outside, marring the view. The size of the room itself was OK. There is no breakfast. If you want to eat at the hotel you must pay for the restaurant. I was given a 15% off voucher for any one meal. The dinner menu is mostly pasta and fried dishes. There is little that is fresh or local. Breakfast is the standard American breakfast fare. I ordered the banana bread pancakes. They came with a lot of banana slices. But, oddly, also two strawberries balanced on top on a leaf of iceberg lettuce. At dinner, which I had via room service, the Caesar salad was wilted and overdressed. I asked for ice cream and received no spoon. When I called for a spoon, I was given a soup spoon. The staff at the hotel were attentive and pleasant. The staff in the restaurant were pleasant when you could find them. Stay there for the view, but don't plan on being in the room much, and eat elsewhere. There are many better eating choices within just a few blocks.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for the great comments about the room and overall hotel and view. We normally receive great comments about the quality of the food and service in the restaurant. I am sorry that we disappointed.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

Location on Prom is what makes this hotel special. We did not stay in an ocean view room. The city view looked across the street at another house. The balcony was not very inviting. Beds were somewhat too soft. Work was ongoing in hotel but that did not interfere with stay. Mostly saw the evidence in the hallway.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for the kind words and constructive feedback. I hope you will return soon.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

Ocean front and pet friendly is nice, but this motel is overpriced for the room and services provided. No complementary breakfast as at a lot of other Best Westerns. Front desk service at check in was more concerned about the customer on the phone than the one checking in for the night.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank AMYPOORTlanD

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am sorry if you felt the desk staff were not attentive to you. That is certainly not what we are all about. We care deeply about all of our guests and their experience.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Seaside
Inn at Seaside
#9 of 15 in Cannon Beach
River Inn at Seaside
River Inn at Seaside
#3 of 27 in Seaside

Been to Best Western Ocean View Resort? Share your experiences!