“Go ahead on 'er”

Ranked #6 of 113 Restaurants in Seaside
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed November 23, 2006

Everytime I stop at Camp 18, I shed a tear. You see, I'm a third generation logger. My grandpa and great uncles were partners with Simon Benson in the Deep River Logging Co. - logging with the Shay (steam) locomotives. To pay my expenses in college, I set chokers (among other jobs) for Santiam and Willamette National Lumber Co., - they merged to create Willamette Ind.
My bosses in logging were head 'n shoulders above any of my bosses in two Fortune 500 firms in heavy industry. If you've never chowed down in a logging cookhouse, you haven't lived. If you haven't seen sunup on a logging show in the PNW...I feel sorry for you. I'm one of the lucky ones who get to attend an old loggers picnic each September hosted by Gordon and his wife.
All of us old geezers are 70 and up. I feel more comfortable at a table at Camp 18 than I do at any fine restaurant in Portland or Seattle. The atmospere at Camp 18 is not found anywhere else in Oregon or Washington and I doubt if anyplace like it exists in the Redwood country of California. I suggest a ride on your crew truck (crummy) to chow down at Camp 18 - while you're enjoying a plate of hotcakes, listen for the cry of a camp robber (jay)...the sing of a cross-cut saw as it's pulled through a Doug fir...then walk off those calories to view the logging equipment.
So what, if it's raining...that's part of the logging atmosphere.

Ex-logger living in Beaverton

1  Thank OlsonCamp

Reviewed October 27, 2006

Camp 18 is well located, but the food is definitely over-hyped. We've been there a number of times and it's never make our socks go up and down. The service has always been just mediocre in our book as well. On an upside the owner, Gordon Smith, while probably an avid supporter of Oregon's infamous Senator Gordon Smith, is definitely not one in the same.

3  Thank sfroggyfrog
Reviewed October 9, 2006

My boyfriend and I drove from Seattle just to eat breakfast at Camp 18, and it was well worth the 4+ hour drive! The food was amazing, the service was terrific, and the atmosphere is exciting and fun.

2  Thank wingsfan
Reviewed October 1, 2006

LOTS of food! The building reminds you of one of the "Great American Western Lodge's you onlu see in old pictures. You cannot even comprehend the magnitude and the grandeur inside. Don't miss the opportunity to take a look downstairs and see the incredible section of tree made into a tremendous bar. The overall experience was pleasant. Prices are very reasonable and portions were huge. Staff extremely friendly, although sometimes busy. The meatloaf was quite tasty and the bread pudding was quite scrumptious.

2  Thank 5under
Reviewed September 2, 2006

This is really a fun place to stop and take a look around. But the food seems to be okay, sometimes. We have eaten there 3 times and the last time wasn't too good, it has never been outstanding. Just okay. But I think it is worth the stop.

2  Thank Amar P