“Lets talk food”

Camp 18 Gift Shop & Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 109 Restaurants in Seaside
Cuisines: American, Soups
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Scenic view, Kids, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Portland, Oregon
“Lets talk food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2014

As you can see from the other reviewers, there is a lot of logging memorablia both inside the restaurant as well as surrounding the parking lot. There is also a separate logging museum at the next driveway east of the restaurant with even more logging equipment, and if that is not enough for you there is a separate gift shop next to the main outside entrance to the restaurant.

But for this review I want to talk about the food and none of the rest of it which I have taken a zillion pictures of over the years.

We arrived on a Thursday at 2:30 pm and except for one other party of 4, and another party of 2 that arrived before we left, the 8 of us constituted the customers. I spoke with the waiter about the chicken strips, prefering the kind that is not thickly covered with large knobs of flour globules that suck up all the oil in the deep fryer. He knew exactly what I was talking about, saying that theirs was much lighter than that, but still not like a panko crust either. So we moved on to the french dip sandwich which he said would be a bit on the chewy side, but if we substituted the special of the day (prime rib) that would make a better sandwich. We decided on that, plus a salad for $1 more and coffee.

The salad arrived and was a very good bargain for $1, being crisp, decent croutons (not gummy bears nor hard as rock), but the salad dressing was all over it despite our requests for it being on the side. We had hardly gotten half way through with that when the french dip sandwiches arrived. These were generous portions, but not overly so. The waiter said he would check back in a few minutes so we could tell him "how great the food is!"

A few bites into the sandwich and it became obvious that the cook had simply sliced the prime rib and plopped it on the bread without any regard to trimming the large portions of fat that come with prime rib. Ugh! We took the sandwiches apart and did our own carving, which was when the server showed up to receive his compliments. I shared with him what I am sharing with you now and he left.

The sandwich bread was very good as was the generous pot of coffee brought to the table. Perhaps loggers would have eaten fat and rine but my doctor advised against it, so a little more attention in the cook shack would have gotten another star. When I am eating meat I don't want to be surprised with some jello like fat mixed in with it. Sorry.

They can't get to "Excellent" however, when the cashier left me standing at the cash register while she finished doing cross word puzzles or whatever, at a nearby empty table, while she finished her break. From what work she needed a break, I can't imagine with virtually no customers in the place. Then I got the routine and uninspired "everything ok?" spiel like I had pulled her string and she had to show she cared. She didn't.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank MrRodgers2011

• Turkish first
Seattle, Washington
“Lodge charm, good food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

Huge lodge style place, servers were very attentive, provided good food suggestions as well. We sat near the fireplace in the back it was nice, romantic and cozy for an afternoon meal. I would love to use this place for a banquet, as they have a huge long table that can seat numerous people. Wonderful meal great service, perfect for after a day at the beach.

Lots of old logging and misc equipment around on the grounds to look at, as well as a few domestic cats hanging out, and dont forget the gift shop.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank KJ9000
Tavares, Florida
“"cinnamon rolls"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2014

We were at Camp 18 on March 2nd with our son's family. We went at my request (this was our third trip to the restaurant over several years) and none of us were disappointed. Love their wonderful breakfasts and the yummy cinnamon rolls (huge). Highly recommend.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank manpaneps
Newberg, Oregon
“I'm sure it could have been great..”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2014

Well I've never actually eaten there because their website can't seem to get their hours right. Twice now I've tried to eat there based on the hours on their website and each time its been closed. Tonight at 8:15pm, I (and a few other patrons) walked into the restaurant and were plainly told "Sorry, we closed at 8." When I commented, "Your website states says you close at 9," all she says is "yeah, we're working on that."
Uh, okay? What's the point of having a website say your hours if they're wrong? And why is it so hard to fix?
I can say we're definitely never coming back.

Visited March 2014
2 Thank megmae1
Hermiston,Or
“A great place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2014

Stop in for a late morning snack. will we had a whole meal. What great food and so much to see. After we ate we walk thu the our side museum. What a trill that was. And the waitress were great. If you go by and don't stop you have miss a lot of northwest history. And good food

• Visited February 2014