“Lack of compassion”

Ranked #20 of 27 Hotels in Seaside
Spokane, WA
“Lack of compassion”
Reviewed October 10, 2010

We booked our stay with the Hillcrest Inn for Friday and Saturday October 1 & 2. We planned to drive down to Portland, stay a day then head over to Seaside for 2 days. The morning after we arrived in Portland we received a call that my husband's mother who had been battling cancer had taken a turn for the worse and was not expected to live beyond the next few days. We had no choice but to turn around and return home. I called the Hillcrest Inn and because of their 48 hour policy, he told me I would be charged for 1 day regardless of the circumstances. I understand their written policy, but do not understand their rigid lack of compassion. My mother-in-law passed away Friday Oct. 8th. They may have gained a 1-day rental, but they lost a customer and I will pass on my feelings to others if they mention staying there.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jfsSpokane_WA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Monroe, Washington
Reviewed September 18, 2010

There was nothing nasty in here, but there was certainly nothing good about it. I wouldn't stay here again if I had a choice. I was in a Columbia room, which was pretty crowded for a group of four. Overall I was not terribly impressed. There was just nothing good about it. It could definitely do with a refurbishing. Also, the walls were VERY thin, and the group above us (also friends of ours) could easily be heard in our room when they were just talking and walking around. It was right on the beach though, basically which was good.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Nanaimo, Canada
Reviewed August 28, 2010

On a whim my husband and I decided to drive to the Oregon Coast. We found Hillcrest Inn on a search and thought everything looked OK and were we pleasantly surprised. Jay and Donna helped us by planning a road trip for us, and extending our trip by an extra night. The location is fabulous, walking distance to everything.
We want to spread to the word what a great place this is, but we worry if we do we won't be able to get in again next year!!!
Thanks for being a part of our amazing vacation.
Mona and Geoff

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
las vegas
Reviewed July 22, 2010

Stayed in the the 4 bed family room in mid July. great value, and location just a block from beach, easy to walk to. So, you will walk the boardwalk and see indoor pools, and hot tubs in other hotels, but we would have paid more for one of those rooms (which we would have needed 2 for our family) than the one family room at Hillcrest. they had cottages that looked nice too, we did not stay in one tho, only slight negative about our room was that it was right above the office/apt, so with my twin boys with us i had to keep reminding them to keep in down, walls are kinda thin too. but, "it is, what it is." still nice place. and clean. so if you are traveling budget minded, check it out. also, they have complementary pastries and coffee/tea in office all day, and also have sand toys for kids you can use. lady in office was very nice too.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed July 18, 2010

For the past 70 years my entire family and I visit seaside Oregon every year never miss it. My great grand parents Tony and Mary rubino were big fans of the hillcrest hotel even though there are many hotels in seaside they always picked hillcrest for the entire family to stay in. They see both are gone now but we still Carry on the tradition of going to seaside every year and every year we stay at hillcrest. Jay and Donna are the best and all the other staff ifs very nice and always make a point of saying hi to you. Jay and donna also went out of there way to make both my greatgrand parents a plaque that sits in the court yard year round. The courtyard is a great place for BBQs and just to relax and let the kids run around. So again if your looking for a nice little quite place (unless were there) then hillcrest is a great place for you and your family to spend vacation. I speak for all the Rubinos when I say thanks jay and Donna for all you guys do we all appreciate at it

See you in about 27 days
Seaside 2010 here we come

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed July 2, 2010

We had a great one night stay at Hillcrest Inn. This is a no frills place except for the grounds which are very beautiful. The rooms are basic but have everything you need and they are very clean. We ran into a couple of small issues - remote control didn't work, door knobs in the closet came loose - but that would not deter me from staying here again. We did not complain about the issues since we were only there one night, but I'm sure they would have taken care of them as the service was very good.

They serve prepackaged pastries as well as coffee, tea and hot chocolate in the morning which was nice. There are some great breakfast places in Seaside just a block or so from Hillcrest so we got our coffee and hot cocoa at the inn and got our full breakfast at a nearby restaurant.

The location is EXCELLENT! We were so close to the beach, promenade and the main street for shopping, eating etc. (Broadway). We were also 1/2 block away from Norma's restaurant which was excellent for dinner.

All in all, great stay and GREAT value.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
West Virginia
Reviewed June 30, 2010

We were pleasantly surprised with Hillcrest's family rooms. They were no-frills, but spacious and comfortable with a nice cooking area. The service at the front desk was very friendly and we liked the family atmosphere. Close to the beach and Hillcrest provided our kids with buckets and shovels to make sandcastles.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family