“Good BBQ and pretty good choice of options”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Gray Whale

The Gray Whale
Ranked #40 of 109 Restaurants in Seaside
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children
Oregon City, OR
“Good BBQ and pretty good choice of options”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

We ordered take out, no one else there but us. The man was very kind. We had some of each sauce and all were good. I enjoyed my meal. The atmosphere is not ideal for dining in and is rather toasty, but would go back.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Fred_n_Aaron

Everett, Washington
“An alternative to fish choices for dining”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014

My wife and I were looking for an alternative to all the fish choices for our dinner in Seaside and while there are several places to get a steak or burger I wanted to try some BBQ. The Grey Whale was just what I was looking for, and I wasn't disappointed. Now let me say first off that my wife is a vegetarian and going to a BBQ placed is certainly not up her alley. However, I had hope, since they listed grilled veggies as a side. Once we got in we talked to the owner and he was very responsive to my wife's need for something other than meat. He said he would do a grilled veggie sandwich if she wanted. She decided on just going with the veggies after finding out they were different kinds of squash, mushrooms, and onions. They were nicely grilled and had a nice seasoning. She was quite happy. But enough of veggies, this is a BBQ place. I opted for the single person combination/sampler. I chose the Tri-Tip and the Baby-Back ribs.The Tri-Tip was excellent!!! Very tender, very moist, and lots of good smoke flavoring. The ribs were good, but not exactly what I thought they would be. The rub they use has a lot of sugar in it, so the ribs had a smoky sweet flavor. Not that it was bad, it was just different, but I actually grew to like it in the end. I will say the ribs were done correctly, nice and tender and smoky. I had coleslaw and french fries for my side. The coleslaw was very tasty, the fries were good but maybe came out a little ahead of the delivery of the meal, since they were not piping hot, more like warm. They don't sauce anything from the kitchen. They let you choose the sauce you want and how much. I like this since sometimes you get too much sauce and it kills the smoky taste. They have 3 different sauces, Whale sauce, Hickory sauce, and Memphis sauce. The Hickory sauce comes in mild, hot or ultra hot. They were out of the Memphis sauce on the night we were there. I was a little disappointed since I really like Memphis style sauce and I wanted to try their version. All in all I was very happy with my meal, but I might try the pulled pork over the ribs the next time.

Visited June 2014
2 Thank Rich S
Kent, Washington, United States
“Great BBQ!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014

My husband and I love BBQ and we found this restaurant on trip advisor. I had the pork and beans and my husband had the hoagie pork sandwich with fries, and everything was delicious. The pork was very tender and savory. They also have their own special BBQ sauces: Hickory sauce and Whale sauce. If you are a BBQ lover and are in the Seaside area, go to this place! You will not regret it! It's just a couple blocks away from Broadway Street and right off of Highway 101. It's a very relaxed place and would be good for taking kids to.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Amy B
Portland, Oregon
“Best Ribs Ever and a Great Owner Operated Business!!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2014

Our family loves ribs so we ventured out to a Ribs restaurant that our motel recommended and we passed here first and thought we would stop in. Soooo glad we did. Patrick the owner was so wonderful and friendly. He immediately offered us beef sirloin tips to taste with his homemade Whale sauce and we were hooked. We ordered a rack of ribs with his sauce and french fries and he threw in the coleslaw. We found out he just opened a little over a year ago and has been cooking since he was young and boy did it show. This guy knows his cooking. Like I said, our family is a rib loving family and these were by far the best ribs EVER! Our boys were just drooling and commented on how good they were as well and the sauce is divine. He also gave us a piece of some homemade cake. It was all soooooooooooo good. You can tell he loves. Stop in and try it, you will be glad you did. The meat was falling off the bones. I will be dreaming about these ribs for days.

• Visited March 2014
3 Thank TikiGee
“excellent clam chowder”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

we went in here looking for seafood and I ordered the clam chowder it was different than I'd ever tasted but it was very delicious I'm glad we made the stop

• Visited August 2013