“You get what you pay for”
Review of City Center Motel

City Center Motel
Ranked #18 of 27 Hotels in Seaside
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 20, 2014

I booked this hotel at the last second via Priceline. I wasn't expecting much and I'm glad I wasn't.

Hotel still issues actual keys for the door (not the magnetic cards). A bit confusing to find the room, as there were 200's on both first and second floor but I eventually found mine- a tiny room up a musty corridor with views of buildings to my front and right (I think this might be "the room" for this property). Not much going on in the small room, the bed was ok and a flat screen TV with a full array of channels, but everything else looked as though it was from the 1960s. I couldn't figure out how to use the tableside lamps (they wouldn't turn on when I turned the switch). A good way to get around the nothing-but-two-prong outlets in the room is to find the adapter they use for the microwave, refrigerator, and coffee maker and take one of them out from the adapter to plug in your three-prong.

The sink and shower water did take quite a long time to warm up, but stayed warm once made warm (I had been worried that it might run out quickly due to the age of the place). There was no mirror directly above the sink (instead an old one was mounted above the toilet, so I had to shave over the toilet to see what I was doing.

The property is truly in the center of the town, which is a big win. You are steps away from just about anything in downtown Seaside. I went for a run along with river and then up and down the entire Prom (pedestrian-only walkway along the shore) without having to move my car.

A somewhat rough crowd about the place (tatooed, smokers, wrinkly skin, etc.).

Overall, probably not a place I'd want to stay more than one night, but if you're headed to Seaside to experience the town and just want a place to sleep for a couple of days, go for it if the price is right. The name brands surrounding this place go for $80-$100 per night whereas this place is about $50.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank Mark F

Reviewed April 14, 2014

This Motel was AWFUL!! I read other reviews before I started this one and I noticed the management keeps throwing around the word "renovating" Just like they told me when I was booking that it was newly renovated and we would LOVE it. NOPE!! It is FAR from renovated! They have a flat screen and new siding from what I saw, maybe a new sink which is a cold water only sink. but look closely or you may be distracted by the mold all over the blinds and pink tile everything and Gross toilet paper roll holders that you will miss the sink!

Cons:
#1 The rooms are Tight, Dark, Smelly (animal urine)
#2 Furniture and Appliances look to be from the 60's (beds look new and are comfortable but the rest of the room just kills it)
#3 TV was all static (TV was a mounted flat screen, only upgrade I noticed in the room)
#4 I couldn't charge my laptop because there are no 3 prong outlets.
#5 Pink Tile NASTY Showers. And Ice cold water or boiling. No in between.
#6 Bathroom was the size of a closet. No warm water in sink.
#7 Noise is crazy.. Our neighboring rooms kept us up almost all night including a screaming match at 2 am (right next to front office) and no one around to come shut them up.
#8 MOLD.. burnt Matches.. Cigarette Butts.. Room was not clean EWW!
#9 They throw around the word "renovated" because apparently they have done minor renovating since purchase... don't get your hopes up that it is anything an average person will notice.
#10 Pool wasn't warm. :/

Pro:
#1 Awesome staff, Karen and Tarah, helped find us another hotel for a great price for second night we were in town and issued refund for that second night that we did not stay with them.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank adriana e
_GeneralManager503_, General Manager at City Center Motel, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review on Trip Advisor. I am so sorry to hear you didn’t enjoy your stay with us. We are currently renovating this older motel, however are far from being done. We are taking care of the issues. I am glad to hear Karen and Tarah helped to find you a room at our sister property for the second night. Thanks again for your feedback.

Reviewed April 6, 2014

Where do I begin? We were referred to City Center Motel by the Inn at Seaside because they were full. The Inn at Seaside said that they owned the City Center Motel and that it was not upscale but it was decent. The bathroom was tiny and it took FOREVER for the the hot water to begin flowing. There were hardly any electrical plug ins. There was not even a plug in for the coffee pot. The floor was uneven and what heat they had was ineffective. The rooms were tiny, cramped, and dark. I can't remember when I've stayed at a more unpleasant place, and I definitely will NOT be back.

Room Tip: I can't think of a single positive thing to say about this property.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Beth_Hay2014
_GeneralManager503_, General Manager at City Center Motel, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

Thank you for brining your experience to our attention.
We are in the process of renovation and we'll be sure to take necessary steps regarding your concerns. Thanks again, we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

The staff were great. Not a fancy place but The rooms were clean plenty of towels furnished kitchen. Treats for the dogs. Huge rooms the price is right we got a 3 bedroom we paid 134.00 that was for the room,tax and dog fee . The beds alone was are worth the drive from Portland. I don't sleep more than 4 hours a night but this bed was so plush I slept 7 hours in a row. We will
definitely come back.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank sunandrain77
Reviewed March 28, 2014

I understand you get what you pay for... Although... This motel is super dingy and way outdated. I mean motel six looks like a 5 star hotel compared to this one. I decided I could look past that though. The walls are paper thin, and several creepy looking people live on premise. There was a dog barking all night in the room next to ours also. The worst part was there was easily a 2 inch gap between the door and the door frame, letting in light, sound, wind and everything. It also could have jeopardized our security since the door did not properly lock. They do not have black out curtains so it was extremely bright in the morning too. Neither my husband not I got any sleep. The bed was comfy, but that was about it. I asked for a refund and spent the rest of my trip elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2014
_GeneralManager503_, Owner at City Center Motel, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2014

Thanks for writing the review. We are really sorry to hear that we felt short to satisfy the room you booked. We take our guest comments seriously and will take necessary steps to correct the inconvenience happened to you. We are under the renovation of the property. The property is now under new management since last December. The hotel is located in center of all and very convenience for the guest. We make sure the rooms are clean and comfortable. We definitely will consider your feedback as renovation in progress. Thanks again.

Reviewed March 27, 2014

awsome location and very friendly staff. staff was so friendly and I wwould come back because they helped me and went above and beyond. I WOULD TOTALY STAY AGAIN!!!. plus a great location.In the center of every thing i came to the beach for.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank jennifer b
Reviewed March 26, 2014

The rooms are TINY! but cheap!! BE CAREFUL WITH GROUPONS they arent valid here on weekends! We found that out the hard way! The walls are paper thin...like I could hear the dog next door thumping on the ground while he itched a scratch and then the dog owner talking to the dog. The Front desk staff was WONDERFUL pleasant, helpful and a pleasure to talk to. They are remodeling, but I dont think we stayed in one of the remodeled rooms (Dark wood paneling-very old bathroom fixtures,tile, etc.) But it was clean!!! We were in town for a basketball tournament - so we were only in the room to sleep, literally..... High;y recommended for the price and you can't beat the location for the price!!!

Room Tip: Best to ask for a room NOT next to the Pool...unless you enjoy "pool fun nosies" IN your r...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family