“a dirty abomination”

Ranked #25 of 27 Hotels in Seaside
Portland, Oregon
“a dirty abomination”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

dirtiest place on earth. my shower had hair and it and used soaps. i walked down to front desk to let them know. she asked me if i called the front desk to notify. umm. isnt that what im doing??
my room was right by the internet server closet, which was open come in and take what you want! not secure. 3-4 fans blowing hot air out. super noisy. i asked to switch rooms. they put me down the hall on the 3rd floor again. the window was open and didnt have a screen! doesnt that violate safety code?! there were used razor cartridges under the sink. my toilet did not flush!
pool is moldy and dirty! i cant tell if its dirt or rust. but its brown and gross. i notified HR already. this hotel needs to be inspected ASAP.
PLEASE I ADVISE YOU TO CHOOSE ANOTHER HOTEL THIS ONE IS SO DIRTY AND GROSS!
i dont even wanna think about the bed sheets....

Room Tip: Do not stay in this dirt hole.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Anna L
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Seaside East, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Anna L.,

I know that we had spoken briefly during your stay as well as after your stay and I understood that we had addressed your concerns and resolved them. As we discussed, we take your comments very seriously and have taken appropriate action to address them so that others will not encounter the same concerns. Please note: Our pool is not “rusty” or “dirty” as mentioned it is just a pale green color that some do not find appealing and will be resurfaced soon. Also, it is not a safety violation to have a room without a screen but we do have several that have been damaged recently and are working to replace them as quickly as possible. Again, thank you for your time!

Andrew Oberembt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed August 15, 2013

this place was terrible old smells bed bugs i would not recommend this hotel at all we booked a Globus trip and they booked us in this room I would have left but everything was sold out and we had been driving all day thank goodness we were only there for one night! it was so bad we got up and left at the crack of dawn!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank tonyatom
Dear Tony,

We work so hard to provide our guests with clean, comfortable rooms and I am so sorry you did not feel that was what you received. While we do take all comments seriously are appreciate when our guests let us know when we do well …and not so well, I am confused and disappointed at your comments as we have never experienced the type of issue you mentioned. I would be grateful if you could take a moment and call our hotel so I can discuss this with you.

Andrew Oberembt

Travelers are raving about these Seaside hotels

Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Coming from Alaska, I had to use travel reviews to decide where to stay - Astoria, Seaside or Cannon Beach.

What I didn't learn from the reviews I read was that Astoria is the historic charmer, with no beaches per se, but with magnificent views, great food and shopping, and plenty of lodging. Seaside is the popular crowd pleaser with high rises right on the beach, auto oriented, and could be anywhere USA. Cannon Beach clearly enforces design standards, with low rise development, narrow walkable streets, a lovely beach and a large state park to the north. But wow, the lodging prices are high.

Astoria's web presence doesn't communicate what fun it is to hang out there, and how close the beautiful Ft Stevens State Park (and beach) is to the city.

Plus, all three communities are easily drivable in a day.

All said, I made a mistake by trying to book Shilo Inn Seaside Oceanfront because it was more affordable. Since it was full, I was booked into the Shilo Inn Seaside East - really 'riverfront.' In a nutshell, we seriously overpaid for a standard to substandard room ie smoking odors in a non smoking room.

Be kind to yourself and book into Astoria when it's hard to find a room in Seaside.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank diane r
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Seaside East, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear Diane R,

We appreciate and value your comments in regards to your recent stay. We are a non-smoking hotel and do our best to insure that guests do not smoke in them. Occasionally a guest will and we do thoroughly clean these rooms to insure that our future, valued guests will not be affected. I am so sorry that you had any issues during your stay and I hoped you notified the front desk while you were here as we would have happy to move you to a different room.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

The room we got was tucked back near the maintenance closet so there was constant racket. Our door was broken and didn't even fully shut, much less lock. The room was tiny and not very clean. The shower curtain was molding. Save yourself some trouble and stay somewhere else!

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank cmwoosley
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Seaside East, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear cmwoosley,

I am so sorry that your stay was so disappointing! It is important to us to insure that every guest’s stay is enjoyable and we take your concerns very seriously. Please know that if you have these kinds of concern during your stay please let us know as we would have willingly and immediately resolved them for you. I have shared what you have spoken about with my staff and we are taking appropriate action to resolve them. Also, we do want you to come back and see that we have addressed these issues…please feel free to give me a call with any questions.

Oceanside, California, United States
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Very disappointing property. It is across the street from a closed market, everything felt seedy. First 10 minutes in room and the toilet overflowed! Was moved to a different room but overall run down condition. Only reason we didn't look for another hotel was that it was 4th of July weekend and everything was sold out. Hotel not really close to anything, had to drive everywhere. Staff was accommodating but not exceptional in any way. Comp breakfast was a joke.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marlynn P
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Seaside East, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Marlynn P,

I am so sorry your stay was less than perfect! We did work hard to take care of the issues you mentioned immediately and I apologize if we did not do so. I have shared your concerns with our staff so that we can do better in the future as providing our guests with “affordable excellence” is so important to us. Please know that we are located within walking distance to many fine restaurants and our wonderful downtown area and we offer a shuttle for our guest if you would prefer not to walk or drive. Also, the market across the street is actually being renovated into a NAPA Auto Parts store that should be open very soon.

Seattle
Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

It's within walking distance to the beach, shops and grocery store. Enjoyed 2 nights and still was much cheaper than 1 night's cost at an ocean front place. We spent several hours on the beach plus an evening fire so we got our fix of sand and salt water. The room was just what we needed with a frig, microwave, couch and large tv. 24 Hour pool is a huge plus and the free breakfast had plenty of choices. The staff was superior and very friendly. It's not a 5 star resort but it was exactly what we wanted for the weekend. You don't need to break the bank to enjoy life.

Stayed June 2013
1 Thank NorthwestCoaster
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Seaside East, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear NorwestCoaster,

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and thank you for sharing with us! We work hard to insure our guests receive “affordable excellence” and we are excited to know that is what you received! As you stated, we are close to the “action” but our location gives us the added bonus of being a bit quieter when you want to take a moment and relax. We look forward to your next stay!

Elma, Washington
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We stopped at the Shilo Inn to try and get a room, all booked up as was everyone. They said the old Shilo down a few blocks had just had a cancellation. They dialed the number and connected us to get the room. Our experience in Seaside, OR turned out OK. Price was reasonable considering in town lodging is not.

Room Tip: Noises and thin walls, but for the price in Seaside on Memorial weekend, GREAT!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MontesanoJim
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Seaside East, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear MontesanoJim,

I am glad you were able to find a room on such short notice! It was our pleasure to help turn a less than pleasant experience into a memorable one. We enjoyed having you as our guests and look forward to seeing you in the future.