“A mixed bag of the good, the "bad" and the weird.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shilo Inn Suites Seaside East

Shilo Inn Suites Seaside East
Ranked #24 of 26 Hotels in Seaside
Dallas, Oregon
“A mixed bag of the good, the "bad" and the weird.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2011

The good: Our room was clean and had no strange smells. The hotel was close to the downtown area. The beds and pillows were very comfortable. There was a refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker in the room, which was helpful. The free breakfast was basic, but it was enough to get us started for the day. The pool is open 24 hours, which is awesome.
The "bad": The hotel needs some general updating. The picture in the elevator was beyond old! The rooms still have actual keys vs. keycards.
The truly WEIRD: On the 3rd floor (our floor) at the opposite end of the hallway, there was a storage room door propped open with a fan. There was a terrible, loud noise and weird electronic smell coming from that room. We realized it was their "Server Room" and the fan was their "cooling" system. We thought this was in very bad taste. If we had been any closer to that room, we would have complained.
All-in-all, it was a reasonably priced room and decent for the price.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Federal Way, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2010

We were given a gift of a few nights stay at seaside Shilo inn. My dad had just passed away a few days before after watching him die for two weeks. We need some time away from the family and all the stress.
We waited in line for 20 minutes because the front desk took for ever to help the 4 people in front of us. The lady didn't know how to run the credit card. We had some vouchers to use at the hotel to make it fee for us and the front desk didn't even know how to enter them. I had to call customer service and they had to call the hotel. Then the room they put us in smelled really bad like someone had been smoking in it! So we had to change rooms but they had to clean it first so after 1 hour we were still not in our room!
Then later that night we wanted to watch a movie tried calling the front desk know one answered. I walked down to the desk and the same lady was there i asked her what the number was to reach the front desk and she didn't even know! Supposedly this lady has been there along time but she needs some more training. The worse thing is she was suppose to be training some other lady that was there and the newbie knew more then her!
The breakfast was the worse breakfast i have seen in along time. Nothing fresh only oatmeal, pastries and coffee, and juice

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Msdede, Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Seaside East, responded to this review, November 8, 2010
Dear Dearhoneybee:
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent visit to the Shilo Inn Seaside East. Let me first say how deeply sorry I am to hear of your loss. I am sure you needed some time to get away and relax after such an experience and I am truly sorry we did not accomplish this for you.
Thank you for bringing our areas for improvement to my attention, I can assure you I do not take your comments lightly and have followed up with our staff to ensure they understand and can exceed our expectations. I certainly hope you will give us another opportunity if you are in the Seaside area to provide you with the friendly and affordable lodging Shilo Inns is so well known for.
Sincerely;
Dede Management.

Travelers are raving about these Seaside hotels

Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2010

Had a brief visit earlier in the week and me and my husband were both satisfied with our stay.Checked in Tues evening and the front desk person walked us to our room to make sure all was in order and it was. We got a room on the far end with a view of he river.
Room furnishings appeared to be newer then the carpet and the tile could be replaced in the bathroom.
The shower had adjustable pressure and was enjoyable.
The bed was comfortable as well and pillows were fine.
Bathroom amenities were modest a cpl small soaps and shampoo.
We never used the pool or went for the Continental breakfast so could not comment about it.
We thought we got a fine deal for the price we paid in the summer high season.
Was located on the quieter end of Hollady and the place appeared to be full,We had two restful nights sleep.
Tried a new place for breakfast closer to the hotel called Mckewons and we really enjoyed it watch out pig n pancake you got some competition there.
We had to leave a day early as we had a family situation and staff was kind enough to say they were sorry they couldn't give us a refund because of having got our room through priceline.
It is not luxury by any means but was a clean comfortable room in which to enjoy the beautful Oregon coast and we would return in the future.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Msdede, Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Seaside East, responded to this review, August 29, 2010
Dear demetria44:

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We were very glad to hear that our accommodations suited your needs. We strive to make every guest feel welcome and comfortable. It’s great to know that we met our goal with you during your stay. We wish you and your family safe travels.

Please come and see us again.

Dede – Hotel Management
Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2010

We got a great deal on Priceline so as budget travelers, we appreciated being able to stay near the beach at a good price. Unlike previous reviews, we found the staff to be very friendly offering maps of the area and helpful directions to the downtown area. We preferred the location--not right on the beach but within walking distance--and easy driving distance between Cannon Beach and Astoria as we wanted to visit both. Our room on the second floor was on the inside hallway. I'd recommend requesting a room off the interior hallway rather than the outside.

The breakfast wasn't spectacular but the receptionist when we checked in explained that it was "modest" so we didn't have great expectations. The oatmeal with a delicious orange and coffee was all that we needed. We spent most of our time visiting Astoria, Cannon Beach, and Manzanita, with dinner in Gearhart and Astoria for the 2 days/nights that we were there.

It really depends on what you're looking for--if you're looking for a clean, simple room at a good price this might just be your kind of place. On the other hand, if you're looking for elegance or a romantic get-away you should probably consider another option.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Msdede, Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Seaside East, responded to this review, August 22, 2010
Dear Marsle;

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and share your comments with us. Your positive comments regarding the staff and service enlighten our day. We are so glad to know that we made a positive contribution to your vacation. There is so much to see and do here in Seaside; we are very happy that you had opportunity to enjoy it.

Please come and see us again.

Dede - Hotel Management
Seattle
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2010

We booked rather last minute for 2 nights in mid-August. Most hotels I looked at online were either full or way higher priced than we were looking for. Shilo East was still a little more, but w/ continental breakfast, it was ok. The building looked a little rundown in the online pics, and there were some negative comments about the breakfast, but I decided to trust the Shilo name.........my mistake. This must be one of the Shilo Inn's oldest, most rundown locations. There were weeds and grasses growing out of the gutters. We had a single queen room on the 3rd floor, and while it was spacious, it was also very dingy and old looking. I agree with a previous reviewer; worry more about the way the rooms look than about the fancy TV, and provide a decent shower before you put a 3rd phone in the bathrooom. Basic ammenities were good; micro, fridge, ironing board, hair dryer, but the overall impression of the room was just dirty. The cobweb in the corner over the door didn't help this. The bed was borderline uncomfortable and the walls were thin, but mostly it was the creaking and the unexplained sounds (in the roof above us?) that made sleeping hard. The breakfast..............wow! Pay attention to those negative comments in the reviews. It was two small tables in the lobby where people are in and out, and consisted of a couple of packaged pastries, instant oatmeal and bananas that were more brown than yellow, When I asked about hot water, the man put some in a coffe cup for me and gave me a tray to take it back to my room. Totally felt like it was so I didn't take more than one. Some people have mentioned a waffle maker (including the woman who took my reservation), but there was no sign of that. The 2nd morning we went to a cafe up the street to eat. I asked for a complimentary USA Today as their lobby sign indicated was available, and was told the only paper they had was the one to buy outside.

1 Thank DandS2009
Msdede, Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Seaside East, responded to this review, August 16, 2010
Dear DandS2009;
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It is through candid comments such as yours that we learn how we can better serve you. I regret that our breakfast did not meet your expectation. I am sure that the fellow that handed you the cup of water was, in his mind, trying to be helpful. I will speak to the staff about being helpful but not being overbearing. We work very hard to provide a clean and comfortable room for our guests. When this is not accomplished we are all disappointed.

Please consider visiting us again.

Sincerely

Dede - Hotel Management
Vancouver, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2010

I booked online not a good idea we were locked in for two nights, the walls were so thin we could hear every thing on all walls, we had a room with a king bed. The room was large that was nice. the room was filthy honstly the the sheets were clean and the towels were changed, gargage under our bed, mold on the shower curtin mold in the tiles urin on the toilet rim, It was not cleaned prior to my check in. I could go on but you get the just of it, The staff was nice at check in. Oh the pool was so cloudie we wouldnt dare go in, and this place was not cheep, $130.001st night $90.00 on sunday. It might have helped if housekeeping wasnt in the parking lot smoking every 15 minutes i kid you not. never again will i stay at this shilo.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Msdede, Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Seaside East, responded to this review, July 25, 2010
Dear Japarker44:
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay. I was truly frustrated by the condition in which you found your room. Please accept our apologies and our assurance that this is not the standard in which we operate our hotel. We regret not having the opportunity to rectify the situation to your satisfaction. We want all of our guests to stay in a clean, quiet and comfortable room. When this does not happen, we are all disappointed.
I respectfully request that you come and visit us again; our staff would welcome the prospect to restore your trust in the Seaside East Shilo Inn.
Dede – Hotel Management
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2010

I consider myself easy to please and was not expecting luxury for the rock bottom Hotwire rate of $68. I booked over the phone and proceeded to the hotel. There was one very elderly woman working the front desk. She was very rude to all the customers who had no reservations. There were 3 people in front of us and we waited, no kidding, 40 minutes. Woman was unable to use the computer and had to start over registering each guest several times. When I got up front, my reservation "could not
be found", although no attempt was made to assist me, even though I had a confirmation number. It was suggested that I return "in 2-3 hours" even though it was already 9PM. I was also told that a room "may or may not be available" at that time, as more walk-in guests wer arriving. Went to my car and promptly called central reservations and the reservation was there all along. Ended up with the last room, queen size bed for an adult and teen. The rudeness and unwillingness to help of this woman were shocking and a disgrace. Guests in front of me in line also all left mad for various reasons. Room and proximity to sights was what I would expect of any motel.

• Stayed July 2010
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Msdede, Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Seaside East, responded to this review, July 13, 2010
Dear Rose062684;
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I sincerely apologize for the service that was provided the day you checked in; I assure you that steps have been taken to avoid a repeat of such an occasion.

Your opinion means much to me and I humbly request that you give us one more chance to show you our Shilo Hospitality that we pride ourselves in.

Respectfully submitted;

Dede

Seaside East Shilo Management.