Comfort Inn and Suites by Seaside Convention Center/Boardwalk
Ranked #12 of 27 Hotels in Seaside
Reviewed September 1, 2013

TLDR; Stay in any other hotel in Seaside before you stay in this one.

On August 30, 2013, myself and my fiance left Coos Bay, OR, and drove five and a half hours to stay in Seaside, OR. Upon arrival, I was impressed with the layout and the lobby. When it was our time to check in, the clerk told us that there was an error with our reservation. He informed us that the card we used, which was a prepaid Visa, was unable to preauthorize the amount. While I was booking the reservation, the operator neglected to inform me that the card would be preauthorized for the full amount, or even any amount. This lead to our card being declined at the counter. My fiance and I tried to come up with a few solutions, but repeatedly we were told that nothing could be done. I even suggested a cash deposit of $500, along with photocopies of my Canadian passport and drivers license. Even this wouldn't suffice. We were told that we couldn't have a room, and were turned away. Due to the Labour Day long weekend in Seaside, there were no hotel rooms left in the city. This caused my surprise engagement vacation to come to an early end as Seaside was our last stop.

This situation was completely unacceptable, unprofessional, and inhospitable, and could have easily been avoided were it not for this hotels inappropriate requirements. Every other hotel I have stayed at has allowed some form of cash and identification deposit. There is no reason why real money could not be accepted. Even offering more than twice the cost of the room as a deposit and having it rejected is outrageous.

Having never stayed at a Comfort Inn before, I can safely say that I won't try to in the future, nor would I recommend them to a friend. The name says Comfort, and the hotel deals in hospitality. At the end of the day, I received neither.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
ComfortInn_Boardwalk, Manager at Comfort Inn and Suites by Seaside Convention Center/Boardwalk, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

I would like to thank you for your comment. It is policy that all guests have a valid credit card upon check in. Unfortunately we do not take cash deposits due to we would have to deposit the money into the bank and then we would have to do a refund check on the deposit and this would take up to 4 to 6 weeks to be able to return the funds to you. Again thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Stayed there last Sunday and was very pleased. We moved from a awful place across the street. Spend the extra few $ its worth it. Room was clean, view from room was nice and the breakfast was great. Staff were friendly. Hotel has free wifi and parking.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
ComfortInn_Boardwalk, Manager at Comfort Inn and Suites by Seaside Convention Center/Boardwalk, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Thank you for you kind words about the staff and hotel. I am glad to hear that you were very pleased with your stay.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Clean attractive property close to the beach and the shops on the west end of town. Easy walking distance to most of the local restaurants, easy to pop out to shop, back to rest, out for dinner. Clean rooms, our fronted on a little inlet. They seemed to have adequate parking. The pool and hot tub were small but there weren't a lot of people using it, since the weather was nice. Sauna [dry], took a bit of time to heat up, so if you want to use it, turn it on, and then swim/hot tub, or even better, because although the air was hot, the wood was still cold when we tried that. I'd turn it on, and come back in an hour or so.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank 82nd_Airborne

We are in a great location to everything down town. You can just park your car and walk to everything. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

Booked in here with a group travelling from Canada. We were paying $165 or better per night so for that kind of money you hope to get something for it. Not the case here.

We were booked on the second floor. The first thing we noticed was the dirty, worn out carpet on the stairs and in the hallway. We worried that the rooms would be the same. Thankfully the room itself wasn't too bad, not worth $165 though. The pillows were the equivalent of a newspaper in a pillow case. Just terrible and it seems to be the norm for the Comfort Inn. Please go to Costco and buy some pillows, they don't cost that much.

Next morning we needed to leave on time to make the ferry. To our dismay the breakfast area didn't open until 7:00AM. Most other hotels are 6:00 AM. Alright we could make that work so we started arriving at 7AM only to find that things were still being set up. No batter for waffles, no bread, etc. Then I heard the fellow responsible for the area mutter that we should be coming in shifts however, all the chairs weren't even filled. How about you start a little earlier fella so the stuff is ready!!??

All in all it wasn't the greatest stay. I liked the location and the setting but that's about it. Will be staying elsewhere the next time we visit Seaside.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Please accept my sincere apology.

I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken seriously. They tell us what we're doing right, what we're doing wrong and how we can improve. Your willingness to share your recent experience is genuinely appreciated.

Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

Priceline booked me in the wrong room!!! I needed two beds and they booked one king! I am very great full Christine the general manager was working because she fixed the problem right away!!! The room was great and the breakfast was awesome!!!! The kids loved the pool

• Stayed: August 2013

Thank you for your kind review. I am glad that I was able to correct the mistake that Priceline had made. We hope that you will come and see us again.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

East coast travelers should not be confused by the term "Boardwalk" Boardwalk is the name of the street and it runs Perpendicular to the beach. You are most of a mile from the water. Hotel is standard but in good shape, Nice staff though a few are a little bit new and confused. Breakfast was good but refills were erratic. WIFI was fine

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is nice to hear that the WIFI worked just fine for you.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

Previous night stayed in a 1star motel abit south of here, decided cleanliness + a comfy bed more important than getting an affordable rate. Chose CI+S...room was just the right size, clean, good light, but, the bed was hard as a rock. We're talking Comfort Inn at $179+tax a night and they don't have comfortable beds?!?! Before I stay in this chain again I'll be sure to checkout the beds before I hand over the money. Oh BTW for $179+tax a night I think breakfast should be way better than breakfast at Super8!

Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo

Please accept my sincere apology.

I am sorry to hear that the bed you had in your room was hard. I am glad however to hear that the room was the right size, clean, and that there was enough light. I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken seriously.
Your willingness to share your recent experience is genuinely appreciated