“Very special taste you won't find at a typical Mexican place.”
Review of La Bamba

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
La Bamba
Ranked #43 of 55 Restaurants in Sandy
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

I have been a "regular" here since it opened. The good...amazing flavors and something different. They do have the typical numbered combinations that bore most folks. The trick with this place is to be willing to try something new. I've had most everything on the menu over the years but here are the best...

Calamari special
Tlatonalie (sp?)
Pipian
Margaritas

There are a number of seafood offerings that are hit and miss. When the shrimp are good, the diablo dish is excellent as is the one at the top of the seafood menu with the pineapple.

My only issues with this place are first, the do not clean the shrimp. Having to shell multiple shrimp from a sauced dish in a difficult task without a few extra napkins. The second issue is the freshness of the seafood. Occasionally, the shrimp or calamari are overly "fishy".

One thing that is always consistent are the Cadillac margaritas. They aren't as good as Alton Brown's from the food network show "Good Eats"), but they are very tasty.

I plan to continue to go here, hoping they decide to clean their shrimp and focus on keeping the seafood fresh and keep the salsa consistent.

If they make these changes, I would rate the food as a 5.

I usually go here on the weekends and there is a young male server who is excellent. He provides excellent service and deserves a raise.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

My friends and I eat at LaBamba probably every 6 weeks. We have never had anything but good, hot food here. I don't understand previous comments about tasteless, greasy as ours has always come out steaming hot, never greasy and never bland. The wait staff is always friendly and knowledgeable about the food. Chips and Salsa come to the table quickly and the salsa is really spicy. We have tried probably half the things on the menu now and all have been good. Love the steak fajitas...probably my favorite

Reviewed July 1, 2012

We live in Sandy and LONG for a good restaurant! La Bamba is not one of them. As we walked up the stairs into the building I noticed cigarette butts, toothpicks, accumulated dirt, dirty windows, not a good sign. The salsa was watery, the food greasy and tasteless. We each ate ONE fajita and left the rest. Margarita was good but you can't live on those!

Reviewed March 31, 2012

We stopped by here on our way up to Mt. Hood. unlike another reviewer, we really liked the decor...Diego Rivera like paintings on every wall, fireplace. One wall has a faux roof, making it seem like we were eating in a small courtyard. It seemed very cozy. Service was prompt, courteous, and overall excellent.
The kids plates have generous sizes. We took with us leftovers in boxes. My wife and I each had enchilada's. nothing fancy. just basic dishes. after 1 visit, certainly we haven't tried most of the menu items. But, the food tasted and looked like I remember from my travels to many small family owned restaurants in Mexico that I have been to over the years, so no complaints here.
others must like the place as well, for as we were leaving, the tables were being filled up.
We liked this place overall, and would come back again.

Reviewed November 5, 2011

Our friends seem to like going here so we give it a try occasionally and it is close to my office. usually disappointing, only thing I will order from now on besides the complementary chips and salsa is a blackberry margarita. I think the drinks are what keep them in business. Numerous times our good has been cold and very bland.