“Great Hotel”

Red Lion Hotel Salem
Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in Salem
Reviewed December 16, 2009

I have stayed at the Red Lion Salem before and this trip was much better. The room was large with a single king, small couch, two chairs and work desk. The bed was quite comfortable and had a good nights sleep. I stayed three nights and didn't have any issues at all. Nice tasteful decor and colors. I liked the slate floor in the bathroom. I really liked the price going through Priceline.com and getting it for 60 a night

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
RedLionSalemGM, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Salem, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2016

We love happy customers, please come back soon.

Reviewed November 16, 2009

Loved this hotel! We came to Salem for a soccer tourney, and half of the team stayed here. We all were on the 4th floor. Staff was very friendly, rooms were clean and appealing and the beds were pillow top, very comfortable. They didn't even charge us for a roll away. The restaraunt was a little pricey (heads up if your on a budget) but very convienient just next to the lobby. Kids had fun in the pool also. All in all I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family

Thank you for being our guest, we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed September 25, 2009

I've always been fascinated by the extreme differences of opinion about the exact same location. I can see how service can vary a lot, but the rooms? The bad reviews about this hotel really baffle me.

I booked this hotel through one of those websites that doesn't reveal your reserved location until you have paid. When I discovered that I was reserved a room at The Red Lion, I was filled with dread. They had received some scathing reviews! So when I walked through the lobby doors, I was pleasantly surprised. No "Motel 6" or "Super 8" lobby here! It reminded me more of a DoubleTree. So then I thought "Oh sure, the lobby's nice, but the rooms are probably horrible." I received a room assignment and headed to the 4th floor. I opened up the door to my room and was surprised yet again. It was attractive, and fresh smelling, and very clean! It was a little small, but I wasn't going to be having any parties in there, I was just there to sleep! And sleep I did! What a comfortable bed! My bones didn't ache at all, even after 8 hours! That is not my typical experience when sleeping on a hotel bed.

I do find it inexcusable at this day and age that Red Lion still does not serve a free breakfast. Even the discount chains offer you pastries! However, even this negative turned out to be a real positive. It forced me to look for breakfast outside of the hotel, and I found the most incredible place to have breakfast: a little place about 1/2-mile from the hotel call "Word of Mouth Bistro." The Creme Brulee french toast was out-of-this-world!

I didn't really look forward to visiting Salem before (sorry, Salem), but I will now that I have a great place to stay and a terrific place to have breakfast (and lunch, and dinner)! Don't you just love surprises?

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bendedpixels

Dear guest,

Thank you for staying with us and providing such nice feedback, we appreciate the opportunity to meet your expectations.

Reviewed June 3, 2009

Priceline.com has this hotel rated a 3-Star "Upscale". How in the world did that ever happen! The two rooms that I checked out on the 4th floor smelled like mold, the rooms are tiny and the bed pillows and sheets seemed to have a slight yellow tint. The bed spreads in both rooms were lumpy, old and seemed dirty. I named my own price on Priceline and had to pay for the room at the Red Lion in advance. I left the hotel within a half hour of check-in and did not complete my one night stay. Both rooms were so creepy and dirty I decided to leave the Red Lion in Salem and check into another hotel for the night. Beware!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank salesmanagement

Thanks for staying with us. We work hard to make our guests happy and appreciate your feedback!

Reviewed May 14, 2009

Very late writing this review. Arrived late at night, and was booked at the filthy Motel 6 because we were traveling with our Airedale dog. Couldn't go there soooo filthy. Started looking for a room. Arrived at Red Lion and told that they only took 30 lb dogs. Pleaded with the front desk and they saw that he was a house dog and let us stay. We were treated so well. They had just remodeled a wing and gave us a brand new room. Great room service and meal. Great breakfast the next morning. Manager was a lovely lady who rode the elevator with us and our dog. Commented on our Airedales lovely manners. We can't say enough how much we appreciated our treatment. We have told everyone we meet to book at these hotels.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple

Thank you for selecting our hotel we appreciate the patronage.

Reviewed February 6, 2009

Stayed here for one night. All the staff I met were very friendly and accomodating. Fred at front desk and James in the lounge were especially outgoing. The bed was comfortable and I found the room very clean but a little small. The fitness room was not great. There is a bike, elliptical and treadmill but no weights. They all worked at least. Ate dinner in the lounge (same food as dining room) and the food was good and nicely presented. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk

Thank you for being our guest and the opportunity to serve.

Reviewed September 30, 2008

Corporate Lodging

Nice hotel, great staff, comfortable even a little on the plush side. Clean and affordable.

Did have the same internet connection issues. I ended up using the lobby and office center.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Thank you for the kind review.