“Better than expected for the price.”

Red Lion Hotel Salem
Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in Salem
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We bid on Priceline for a room in Salem and were sent here. The hotel is old, but in perfectly adequate condition. We have stayed in hotels double the price that were not as nice. The best part of this hotel is the staff. The young woman at the front desk was so pleasant, even when she was repeatedly interrupted by the phone. She never got rattled, just handled everything very professionally and timely. When we asked for assistance in securing our road bicycles in a safe place, she offered an excellent solution which put our minds at ease, knowing our bikes would be secure indoors over night. She also recommended the adjoining restaurant and informed us of a coupon for hotel guests. The bed was very comfortable, and the shower had good water pressure. I hope Priceline sends us here again next time we bid for Salem!

Room Tip: King rooms have more space than the double queens.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CPORE
RizAbid, Guest Services Supervisor at Red Lion Hotel Salem, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am delighted to hear that we were able to provide you with a first rate stay. Here at Red Lion it is our mission to ensure that each and every guest is as comfortable as possible. We want this to be your home away from home; where you don't have to make your own bed! I hope that we will get the opportunity to serve you again.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

Very disappointing that a hotel such as Red Lion was in such poor condition. While the staff was friendly and it was conveniently located to restaurants and the interstate, the actual hotel was NOT a 3 star quality hotel. The grounds were not kept to the point of being appalling. There was no landscaping at all. Dead grass and weeds, no flowers or pruned bushes, even the parking lot was in poor condition. There was a patio that apparently is no longer used and has turned into a storage space for broken and dirty patio equipment. By the way, the photos used on the website were likely from when this hotel was new, years and years ago. NOTHING like it appears today. The pool area was disgusting and smelled of musty odors, while the water was murky and repelling. The fitness facility is a joke - 4 pieces of warn gym refurbishments. Entire hotel desperately needs updating throughout.
The room I was given smelled terrible, likely to be coming from the broken refrigerator in the room which made me gag upon opening it. The bed and pillows were saggy and in need of replacing...the comforter was too small and not appropriate for the queen bed it was put on. It looked awful. The bathroom was in need of some fixture replacement, with the shower-head caked in mildew build up. The areas of the floor near the toilet looked completely neglected by housekeeping as well. I just didn't even want to be in that room at all. Again, the decor was old and outdated. The TV was an older type, well over 10 years old, and the audio barely worked. The microwave was so-so...it did partially function, but the turntable did not move. It was sufficient to heat up some outside restaurant leftovers from earlier in the night. I did not venture to the hotel's restaurant after looking at the room service menu...over $35 dollars for a steak dinner and I think the least expensive thing was a bowl of soup or a salad for $10.
I would advise anyone who stays here to be shown your room before you check-in. The photos of the rooms displayed on the website are NOT what you get. NO WHERE near a 3 star hotel, so DO NOT stay here if you expect even a small level of quality from a hotel.
On a positive note, there is a McDonalds across the street and I really like egg mcmuffins for breakfast!

Room Tip: Ask to be shown your room before check-in!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Emily N
RizAbid, Guest Services Supervisor at Red Lion Hotel Salem, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to complete this review and letting us know of your stay. I would like to apologize for the issues you experienced. I have brought these to the attention of senior management. After looking into your stay, I discovered that when you stayed with us, we were in the process of doing a complete make-over of our landscaping. The dead grass that you saw had been chemically treated on purpose. We are an eco-green property and are dedicated to conserving resources whenever possible, and for that reason, keep the fridge off. There is a notation on the front of the fridge stating this, with instructions for turning it on. This can be confusing at times, and I do apologize that it made it seem inopperable. Nevertheless, I have discussed these concerns with the various department heads and we are working to improve. Please come back and see us again, and give us the opportunity to show you how we have improved.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

Stayed at the Red Lion last weekend for a family visit. The property is just a short block away from the I-5 freeway entrances. There are several restaurants nearby as well as stores for shopping. Although the room was a bit small, it had a microwave, refrigerator and coffee maker. The bed was most comfortable and extremely quiet. A/C worked excellently as well.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Bill R
RizAbid, Guest Services Supervisor at Red Lion Hotel Salem, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to complete this review and telling us about your stay. I am delighted that we were able to provide you with a first rate experience. It is our mission to make each and every stay as comfortable and enjoyable as possible. We are dedicated to providing our guests with the highest of standards in quality and service. For this reason, we greatly appreciate our guests' input helping us shape our policies to better serve you. Thanks again for your kind words, and please come back and give us the opportunity to serve you again.

Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

I'm sad to say that this is the second Red Lion I've stayed in in the past two weeks that has been less than expected. RL used to stand for a certain level of quality, and there no longer seems to be the quality control that once existed. The location was good, and away from highway traffic. The rooms were okay, nothing special and only partially updated. Fairly clean. Decent place to crash, but don't expect much more than a 2-star equivalent.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank CAMezen
RizAbid, Guest Services Supervisor at Red Lion Hotel Salem, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am very dismayed that we did not live up to the level of service you have come to expect from Red Lion. I would like to discuss with you, specifically, what made your stay less than spectacular, and welcome the opportunity to make up for it. Please contact me directly at the hotel. It is only through the honest reviews of our guests that we are able to continue to provide excellent service and quality. Your thoughts are invaluable in helping us to shape our training and policies to better serve you. I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

We had reserved a single queen room. Astonished at how small it was!! The staff is amazing and was able to upgrade us to a larger room which was very comfortable. Very comfortable bed, very quiet and clean. A little germaphobic, so I appreciated the fact that the blanket on the bed is sandwiched between two sheets which makes for a more sanitary situation. One of the bedspreads did have some stains on it. :(. I always leave a tip for housekeeping and a short note expressing the good job or something special I need. Only one thanked me.
Had a great meal at their restaurant . It seemed very fresh and the prices weren't "out of the ballpark".

I would certainly stay there again IF I could reserve a room with two beds. I guess the single bed room would suffice for one person.

• Stayed: May 2013
RizAbid, Guest Services Supervisor at Red Lion Hotel Salem, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us about your stay with us. I am delighted that we were able to provide you with a first rate experience. It is our mission to make each and every stay as enjoyable and comfortable as possible. I have shared your kind words with all pertinent departments, and we thank you for this praise. I look forward to serving you again in the near future!

Reviewed May 24, 2013

Stayed for one night the room is small.A/C Heather did not work.So I could be a bump for those who stay here in winter.However;the front desk stuff was courteous.The Vanity is not inside the Bathroom so it's kind of weird.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Simon M
RizAbid, Guest Services Supervisor at Red Lion Hotel Salem, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2013

Thank you for choosing Red Lion for your stay. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to review your experience with us. I am very concerned that the heater did not function properly. Did you report this to the front desk, and were we able to remedy the situation or offer another room? It is our goal to make each and every guest as comfortable as possible. We have several different room types with varying layouts to fit our guests' needs. I apologize that yours was not to your liking. Did you report this to the front desk, and were you offered another room, more appropriate to your taste? I hope that you will stay with us again, and give us the opportunity to give you a much better stay experience. Please contact me directly to ensure that we match your needs exactly. Thank you again, for taking the time to bring these issues to my attention.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

Have stayed here a few times and rooms are older but clean and staff is very nice. Traveling on business and booked through Expedia. Restaurant and bar onsite with a great menu and also room service. If you are traveling easy access on and off I-5.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
RizAbid, Guest Services Supervisor at Red Lion Hotel Salem, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us. The location is first choice for busy travelers and the cuisine in our restaurant is exquisite. We endeavor to make this your home away from home, and I am delighted to see that we were able to meet the highest of standards to this regard for you. I hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.