“Not sure what makes this a three star?”

Red Lion Hotel Salem
Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in Salem
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I got a good deal on priceline so I wasn't expecting much, but this was the highest rated hotel I could book in Salem.

The room is fine for a single person staying one night, but think it would be tight for two people.

Extremely outdated television and the picture quality is horrible. Wi-Fi signal is good. Heating/Air unit is noisy. Bed seems comfortable. You can hear some people as they walk down the hall outside the room door.

Just before going to bed a giant moth flew into my room from who knows where! Beating it with a towel was not enough to put it out of it's misery, so I picked it up by the towel and tossed it out in the hall. I was at a loss with what to do with something that size.

I would avoid booking here in the future.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank ChateauCC
RizAbid, Guest Services Supervisor at Red Lion Hotel Salem, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am very sorry for the issues you experienced. It is definately curious how a moth had made it inside the room, as we are not an external type lodging. I have mentioned these concerns to management and we are working to resolve them. Your comments are vital in our goal of complete guest satisfaction. I hope that you will come back and see how we improve.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

The Salem Red Lion is a comfortable and clean hotel with many nice amenities. I especially liked the fitness room and indoor pool--a plus on a cool Spring day. The rooms were a little cramped but the bed was very comfortable and the bathrooms are very nice indeed with the toilet separate from the sinks and tub. I worked several hours at the desk in the room and accomplished more than I had hoped due to the comfortable surroundings and the quiet atmosphere as well as they serviceable (and FREE!) wifi. I would stay here again in a heartbeat! The front desk staff were also exceptionally pleasant and helpful.

Room Tip: There was a fridge in my room--very helpful when traveling with kids. The Newport Seafood Grill next...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank EllenMy
RizAbid, Guest Services Supervisor at Red Lion Hotel Salem, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

Thank you so much for your kind praise. It is our goal to make every stay as enjoyable and comfortable as possible. I am delighted that you had a first rate experience here. Please come back and give us the opportunity to impress you again!

Reviewed April 3, 2013

My first impression was not good. I walked into my room and spotted the cheap curtain hanging on an ugly rod to cover the closet and it just kinda set the mood as cheesy. I actually left and ran some errands and seriously considered skipping out and going to a newer hotel. I did come back and ended up staying 3 days and was satisfied. I just think they could do such an easy update to make the room look more modern.
I slept very well which is a rarity. The bed was comfortable, if your a pillow snob you MUST bring your own pillow, theirs are very small and thin.
The towels were in great condition.
My only real complaint would be the room service, while the staff was Wonderful and friendly and very fast, I ordered a steak and got...a steak and a bowl of green beans at the hefty charge of $40....no starch, no bread, no salad...just a hunk o meat and a bowl of green beans????? (the steak was good, but not $40 good)
Overall I was pleased because the staff were so friendly and helpful. The free breakfast was Great and the Willamette Valley Grill was a great place to eat.
I was there for a conference, about 140 attendee's, they handled us well and the snacks and lunch and water service was top notch.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank pamela c

Thank you for choosing us to host your event. I am overjoyed that our banquet staff exceeded your every expectation. I would like to apologize for failing you in the areas of room décor and service. I have passed on these concerns to the restaurant manager and the housekeeping manager, and we are working to improve. I hope that you will return soon and see the improvements.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

For the last few yearswhen we have come down to salem we have always stayed at my mother in laws house. She recently moved and now we are on the search for a good hotel to stay in a few times a year when we come down to visit. We decided to first try the Red Lion as the location is great and we have stayed at several Red Lion properties before and always been happy.

The first impression was great, Check in was easy and the staff friendly. Overall, ths hotel is extremely out of date. It's dark and dingy. There is a horriblely ugly wallpaper everywhere, in the halls and in the rooms as well, combine that with an old dark, dirty carpet and the environment is not inviting at all. The bed was pretty comfortable, but the pillows were about half the size of a normal pillow. Despite the bed being comfortable, neither my wife or I slept that great because of the pillows.
We tried to use the excercise equipment but it was so cheap it felt as if it was going to fall apart on us so we passed.
Overall, there was nothing special about this hotel and had I paid full price for a room I would have been dissapointed.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Thenrichs

Thank you for taking the time to give us your honest feedback on where we need to improve. We take the comments of our guests very seriously. I have spoken with management and passed on these concerns, and I assure you they will take action to remedy this. Please accept my sincere apology for these issues. I hope that you will not let this deter you from giving us another chance in the near future.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

I've been staying at the Red Lion on Market street off and on for about two months while working in Salem. However I'll be staying somewhere else for all my work travel in the future because of the worn out exercise equipment at this hotel. Despite being assured twice (two seperate trips) by staff that " we're supposed to be getting new equipment soon" the treadmill still is in horrible shape. It has an ear piercing SCREAM that will drive anyone in the room crazy. I dont know if it's a bad bearing or what but it needs replaced. I even filled out a comment card noting my complaint about the treadmill to no avail. I thought after two different staff assured me that I'm not the only one complaining that something would be done by now. If you have any plans to use exercise equipment I would highly recommend you stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: I have stayed here quite a bit for work in Salem over the past several months. However, every stay e...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Richard25714
RizAbid, Guest Services Supervisor at Red Lion Hotel Salem, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Let me extend my sincerest apology for the issues you faced. I assure you that we take each and every comment and review very seriously. I cannot explain why the comment card you mentioned did not make its way to my desk, and cannot offer any excuse. We have made some improvements to the fitness center, however it is still very modest and simple. I have passed on these concerns to the maintenance department and we are looking into resolving them. Please allow me to extend an invitation to you to contact me directly on how we can make it up to you on your next stay with us. I would love the opportunity to change your mind about us.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I have stayed here twice in the last year. Staff is very friendly, rooms are nice albeit small and the food at the grill is excellent. Room service is fast. Breakfast at the grill was very fast, good value and great food!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Sheila L

We greatly appreciate you kind words. Your praise helps to motivate and encourage us to continue to excell in every way. We hope that we will continue to impress you on all future stays as well!

Reviewed March 17, 2013

This motel is the best in Salem. It has fast internet and a good lounge. The beds are very comfortable and plush. The tv's are flatscreen. Plus it has a shuttle that takes you around town where you please. The pool goes to 8 feet. If you are ever visiting Salem this is the place to be. It should be voted the best.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank samuel l

First off, let me thank you for choosing us for your lodging needs. We take pride in everything we do, and it is our mission to make each and every stay as enjoyable and comfortable as possible. I am delighted that we did not dissappoint. Please come back and stay with us again, and give us the opportunity to impress you again!