“Best service in Salem”

Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Salem
Seattle, Washington
“Best service in Salem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

The check-in is fast, and they always ask if I would like any particular floor or view. The entire staff make you feel very comfortable. Best breakfast of all the hotels I stay in. I spend at least 60 nights a year at hotels, for work. I always look forward to my stay at the Salem Red Lion. The location is only one block from the I-5 off ramp.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Victor G
RizAbid, Guest Services Supervisor at Red Lion Hotel Salem, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Red Lion Hotel. Your kind words are greatly appreciated. We strive to make your stay as comfortable and enjoyable as possible, and I am very glad to see that you had a first rate stay with us. Your comments and encouragement help us to continue to improve in this goal. We look forward to serving you again in the near future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
McMinnville, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

we were looking for a relaxing night away from the kids thought this would be the place paid 165 for a one bed room with a balcony on the back of the building.. they put us in one right over the front lobby i was not happy to begin with but went on saying its ok atliest were still getting a brake from the kids. but the longer we stayed the more the smell came in from the hallway. it was very thick and made it hard to breath so we left an thought wed just come back to sleep then have coffee in the morning and be out of their.Came back late probly 2 or 3 in the morning tried to get some sleep DID get to sleep then woke up at 8 in the morning to the cleaning ladies in the next room giggling talking about poop and other rediculiously immature things being very rude and loud. also running vaccumes and such listened to them for over an hour before got tired of it and was just pissed. decided to pack everything up an make some coffee. Gotta have my morning coffee but the coffee pot was very dirty and covered in grime(mold) inside So we decided to look around the room a little an see how dirty things really were.. all the paper coasters under the cups were nasty dirty with old coffee rings and food drips the coffee and water cups were also dirty with brown stuff all over them. we pulled up the sheets to the bed and their was pee stains all over the matress dont know if was from human or animal cause they allow pets GROSS!! ive stayed in several hotels from washington through oregon and california over the last 10 years and i dont think ive ever been this dissatified!! we will never return!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kristin S
RizAbid, Guest Services Supervisor at Red Lion Hotel Salem, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Thank you for choosing Red Lion Hotel Salem for your night away from the kids. As a family man, myself, I know just how much time and effort goes into planning some relaxing time away from daily responsabilities. I am deeply sorry that it did not go as planned. I assure you that this is not how we normally operate. I am researching your stay with us and have discussed these issues with the housekeeping manager and general manager. I would like to invite you to contact me directly to discus how we can make it up to you. I look forward to hearing from you annd the opportunity to make it right!

Riz Abid
Guest Services Supervisor

Travelers are raving about these Salem hotels

Peoria, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

Stayed 2 nights on business. It's definitely an older hotel, which is evident by the uninspiring lobby area. But the rooms are nice. Small but nice. I would say the room I was in was no bigger than 10X12 with the bathroom separate. Appointments are fashionable and clean, nice flat screen TV, comfortable bed (queen?). Just enough room to walk around the bed. Still, if you aren't spending a lot of time in the room, what does it matter.
Be prepared for the first time you flush the toilet. It must be powered by jet engine.
Here's what I didn't like....being next to the room with the ice machine, which you could hear the water running constantly. The hotel is all non-smoking. Great! But people still smoke outside, which is fine, but please invest in a couple of receptacles so they don't have to litter the front of the hotel with cigarette butts. Or at least clean it up on a regular basis. It only takes a few for the place to start looking trashy.
All in all, I would stay again. But I would also research and compare other similarly priced hotels before I committed.

Room Tip: Don't let them give you a room next to the ice machines.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank rh09rt1
RizAbid, Guest Services Supervisor at Red Lion Hotel Salem, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
We greatly appreciate your taking the time to review your stay with us. I am glad to see that you enjoyed your time here at Red Lion Salem. I must apologize about the noise from the ice machine. I have mentioned this to the Maintenance Supervisor and we are working to make it quieter. We have receptacles for cigarette butts in the designated smoking areas outside the building, however, unfortunately many choose to ignore them. This is why our staff cleans these public areas at regularly scheduled intervals throughout the day. I have spoken with our Housekeeping Manager as well on how we can patrol this even more efficiently. We are working to improve in many ways, and the honest input from guests such as yourself is very helpful. I hope that we will get to serve you again in the near future!
SPARWOOD
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

James in the hotel lounge is the best bartender I have had the pleasure to meet. I would stay at this hotel again just to have some beers served by him.

The rest of the hotel was nice, clean and the staff friendly. I would recommend staying here if you can get the more affordable internet rate.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank CHAD Z
JoSue1, Guest Services Supervisor at Red Lion Hotel Salem, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
First off let me say, you are right, James is an amazing bartender! As a full service property, we strive to make your stay with us as comfortable and enjoyable as possible. Our staff receives continued training in this ever-changing industry. Through the efforts of guests such as yourself, who take the time to review us and share with us that experience, we continue to improve in our efforts. Thank you for your review and I look forward to serving you again soon!
Coquille, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

The hotel is not new, but well cared for and in great condition. Everything was clean and bright. The rooms are not large, but well appointed. The bedding and towels were good quality. The fat, stiff pillows were my only complaint, and that's only personal preference. We were traveling with our little dog, who was welcomed and petted by staff. The staff were friendly and courteous without exception. There always a friendly "Hello" and genuine concern about our satisfaction. We had breakfast from room service, which was very good and the service again was wonderful and fast. Overall a great stay, I would definetly stay there again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for reviewing your time with us. I am glad to see that you had a first rate stay. I always welcome and greatly value all comments from our guests. It is with this open line of communication that we can shape our policies and procedures to better suit our guests. It is an ever-changing environment and your input is crucial. We look forward to serving you again in the near future!
Salem, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

We attended the buffet and were very disappointed. Last year's buffet was so much better. They had a new chef, our server explained and knowing this will affect our decision to attend next year. The carving table was ham only, not turkey like last year. The lighting was harsh and bright, there was no music and the buffet table was maybe half of what last years' was. For the price, $22 a person, it was not a good deal.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review our Thanksgiving Dinner. I have taken your suggestions under advisement and have relayed them to the appropriate department managers. We strive to make each and every event as enjoyable and memorable as possible. It is through honest commentary such as yours that we are able to continue to adapt to what our guests demand. I hope that you will come back and dine with us again soon.
Diamond Bar, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

First off I did not plan on staying in Salem, but when business did not turn out well, needed a place to stay to catch a plane home for my dog and me. On top of everything not going my way I had lost my government ID. But the staff overlooked and assisted me in everyway! Great room, courtesy above the board, and my dog made friends with the hotel's dog. Room spacious and clean and my dog received such a great greeting from staff - always a "smile" and a hello! We even extended our stay one more night to see Salem! Great town! Red Lion is first choice visiting Salem!

Room Tip: The food from the adjoining restaurant "pricey" but well worth the price - Hamburger was e...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Michael V
JoSue1, Manager at Red Lion Hotel Salem, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Michael, thank you so much for your recent review. We do always appreciate our guests feed back on their stays with us and espically like it when we can turn a negative experience into such a positive memory for our guests. We do hope that you and your pup can come and see us again soon and again thank you for the great review!