“Very nice”

Los Angeles, California
“Very nice”
Reviewed September 6, 2011

Was a good experience.
Reservation, check-in and check out, and overall guest services were very good.
Housekeeping needs to upgrade. Had to go to desk 3x for missed items, i.e., coffe service, shampoo/soap/last day room was not done at 3:30 PM, left hotel at 7:30AM. Spoke with Housekeeping manager who had a million excuses after I was told 30 minutes. If she gets in and evaluates rooms, that she is told has guest waiting, there would be less problems. Noticed maids clustering and talking a lot--time for manager to take a tour. TV sets and computers need to be upgraded.
Overall, remodeling of what was an old hotel was well done. IF YOU STAY on top of staff, minus front desk,who are very capable, this was a good stay!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
JoSue1, Manager at Red Lion Hotel Salem, responded to this review, September 15, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review! I am so sorry that you had the unfortunate experience with our housekeeping department. Our goal is to meet and anticipate all of our guests needs from check in to check out including the amenities in the guest rooms and a timely manner of servicing rooms. I have brought your concerns to the attention of the General Manager and he assured me that the situation has been dealt with.

Again, thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to post your review and we want to thank you for choosing the Red Lion Hotel!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
San Diego, California
Reviewed August 28, 2011

Found a good deal on Expedia for this hotel. We were in room 205 and had hot water issues. The sink faucets didn't have ANY hot water, and lukewarm shower water only lasted 1-2 minutes. We notified management, they were nice and sent someone immediately who said he fixed it. Yet the problem persisted even after a second maintenance guy. We finally asked to change rooms and were moved to room 238, which had an odd mildew odor but at least the hot water worked. There were some ants on the desk but not a lot. The indoor swimming pool had murky water, didn't venture a swim.
The restaurant breakfasts were consistently good. The employees were all nice. The beds were comfy if a little lopsided. Housekeeping was good, but one day left only 1 towel after taking 3. There is coin laundry on 1st floor.
Note: this hotel is 'pet friendly'. I understand the 2nd floor is the 'pet' floor. We had no pets, not sure why we were placed on the 2nd floor. Had we known in advance we would have asked for another floor... nothing against pets, but we would rather avoid dog/cat hair and smell (not to mention possible fleas).
This hotel is a stop for the HUT Shuttle from Salem to Portland Airport... good for students attending nearby Willamette University.
We won't stay here again.

Room Tip: 2nd floor is 'pet friendly'
6 Thank Sherry R
Thank you for your recent review of your stay with us at the Red LIon. I am sincerely sorry that you had problems with the hot water as this is a very inconvenient to anyone and I am glad we could move you to another room. As for the pool, I brought this to the attention of our Maintenance Department and they have resolved that with an adjustment of the chemicals.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed the Willamette Valley Grill, we are very proud of the service and the menu items that are delivered there and I have passed your comments on to the staff.

As for being on the "Pet Floor" please call the hotel or email me directly (email address on our website) the next time you are coming and I will ensure you are put on a non-pet floor.

Travelers are raving about these Salem hotels

Daegu, South Korea
Reviewed August 23, 2011

I chose it because the shuttle bus from Portland Airport goes directly there, but the hotel proved to be well above average in all respects - accommodations, amenities, cleanliness, as well as convenience. The clincher for me was the service from the front desk. I left behind a cell phone battery charger, and returned several days later the staff went extra lengths to finally find it for me when it didn't show up in the routine lost-and-found box. Later, I asked for a couple of smaller favors and the front desk was quick to respond.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
I want to thank you for taking the time to complete your review recently about our hotel and staff! I have passed your response on to the staff of which I am very proud. I am very happy that we were able to accommodate your needs as that is what we love to do. We here at the Red Lion Hotel strive to deliver the most memorabel guest experience possible and are always looking for ways to improve that experience. We do hope to see you in the near future and on behalf of the staff thank you for choosing the Red Lion Hotel.
hood river
Reviewed August 22, 2011

My kids were so disappointed when we checked in that they begged to drive back home! The hotel smells terrible from the lobby, to the elevator, to the halls, and the room. The hotel smells like 50 years of cigarette smoke that they are attempting to cover with too much scented cleansers. The whole hotel is terribly beat up and the room was very small. The pool room was dank and smelly of course. The restaurant reminded us of an
institution cafeteria such as you would find in the worst old folks home, or hospital and they are pretending that it is fancy.
To save our vacation, I opted to find another hotel (Best Western much nicer!!) and lose the $$ I spent for the room in the Red Lion. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone. I have stayed in hotels across the country from $40 pn up to $250 per night and this one is by far the worst.

4 Thank hamaryllis
I would like to thank you for your honest review about your recent stay with us! I do apologize for the smell of the hotel, we have addressed this issue with the housekeeping suprervisor and they had just changed products and have now gone back to the previous brand which is working very well. As for the decor of the Grill that is the owners dicision but I have passed your comments on to him as well. If you would like to discuss any of these issues further please feel free to call me at 503.370.7888.
Salt Lake City, UT
Reviewed August 12, 2011

I don't think I am a very picky person but I do feel like one of the basic needs a hotel has to stay on top of (besides clean sheets) is hot water. We stayed at this hotel one night and got perhaps one minute of combined hot water on our attempts to shower ourselves and our children at night and in the morning. We visited the pool area only to have to leave when we realized the water was so murky we couldn't see our son's body from the waist down once he was in the pool. So it was right upstairs for a cold shower! I tried mentioning this to the desk clerk the next morning but she was very engaged visiting with a couple of single male business travelers and, oddly, never noticed me standing there waiting for her attention.
As a side note, if you stay here with kids be careful of the pool - and I don't mean the dirtiness. As we were about to walk out, my husband suddenly jumped back in the pool. It took me a minute to figure out why - he was going in after a drowning child. The pool is L shaped and near the concave corner of the L, the depth abruptly switches from 3' to 5'. This little girl was within an arm's reach of her mother and just slipped beneath the water suddenly when she took a step the wrong way.
On a positive note, the beds are comfortable. I like soft beds so people with back problems may feel the opposite.

2 Thank pixelpushr
JoSue1, Manager at Red Lion Hotel Salem, responded to this review, August 17, 2011
I would like to thank you for your honest review on your recent stay with us. I don't feel it is being picky to note that you had no hot water and I sincerly apologize for that. I have brought this to the attention of the Maintenance Department along with your concerns about the condition of the pool. They adjusted the chemicals and it is now crystal clear.
As for the unfortunate incident involving the little girl, it is a very knoble thing your husband did and kudos to him! The pool is marked with "No Lifeguard on Duty" and "All non-swimmers and children under 14 years of age shall be accompanied by an adult". I do understand that the mother was within arms reach but I also know that it takes just that one second of looking away and something happens, again a very fortuitous thing that your husband was there!
We do hope you come back and enjoy the comfortable beds again and I can assure you will have plenty of hot water and again thank you for taking the time to bring these issues to our attention.
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed August 10, 2011

The things that I didn't like were they didn't have a jacuzzi and the grass thats right outside by the pool was dead and then the grass in the front of the property was dead and the they have this empty lot next door to the parking area thats fenced in and the grass was dead there makes their property look run down. But it didn't affect our stay also very close to freeways if you need to go to other cities.

Room Tip: First room was over looking A/C units until we switched as soon as we seen the room
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
RedLionSalemGM, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Salem, responded to this review, December 7, 2016
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us, glad you enjoyed the stay. All landscaping has been improved and we're looking forward to greater development.
Roseburg, Oregon
Reviewed August 4, 2011

I have been using this motel for business for myself and staff for a few years. I have always been treated better than expected. This past week, I had to travel on my 20th anniversay and the staff made it a very special trip for me. Well above any expectations---it was fantastic. I had a problem at another motel two weeks before in the portland area and the manager--Jo-Sue-- help me with that and set up a reservation for myb next stay in Portland. Again all above expectations. I love staying here.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
JoSue1, Manager at Red Lion Hotel Salem, responded to this review, August 10, 2011
I would like to thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel and the staff here. We are so pleased that you had a wonderful stay with us even if it was without your spouse on your anniversary! Our goal here at the Red Lion is guest satisfaction and memorable stays and we are always welcoming comments on our service. We look forward to serving you again on your next visit with another surprise!