“They would not honor my reservation”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Comfort Suites

Comfort Suites
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Salem
Bend, Oregon
“They would not honor my reservation”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

THEY WOULD NOT HONOR MY RESERVATION !

I had a reservation for the Comfort Suites Airport, at 630 Hawthorne SE, in Salem Oregon. The hotel clerk refused to honor it and I was left stranded and offered no assistance or guidance to stay elsewhere. I needed a place to stay and I was worn-out but was refused entry or assistance for alternative lodging. I telephoned the facility a week after my experience and waited 15 to 20 rings before someone answered the telephone. I left my name and number for the General Manager in order to voice my concern but was never contacted.

I am a 61 year old professional with means and a moderate business traveling demand but was received by their clerk in a most unwelcoming and unprofessional manner; ever experienced throughout my lengthy career.

I am certain many weary business travelers out there know the feeling of finally arriving at your lodging, fatigued and in business attire, which lost its fresh appearance many hours ago. After traveling and working during the day I arrived at the hotel after dark. With a print-out of my confirmation email accompanied by a digital image on my smartphone, I was denied and turned away by the receptionist.

D-----, the obnoxious clerk with a bad odor and a dirty polo shirt, would not let me in and told me my reservation was invalid. He said there was a mix-up in billing and he would not allow me to stay. The clerk next to him suggested to D------ to let me in, while charging my personal credit card. D------ ignored the suggestion and basically told me I was out of luck, in a most obnoxious fashion.

I appealed for entry while offering payment with my personal credit card, in an effort to stay the night, all to no avail. I was very tired and needed the rest. I offered to resolve the billing error in the morning while charging the room to my personal Visa for the time being, as long as I could stay the night. D------ wouldn't have it and was more interested remaining argumentative and contentious.

I asked him to be more solution oriented and not to raise his voice at me. However, D----- still ill-mannered, kept his confrontational demeanor and I gained no progress toward a solution in my unfortunate predicament. My appeals, proposed solution and reservation were all null and void.

Dear Comfort Suites Management, please be aware that your clerk is unkind and a deplorable representative of your hotels. Thank you for affording me to express my experience.

Cordially,

RVT, Weary Traveler,
Bend, Oregon

Room Tip: Reservation is not a sure thing, consider being ready for alternative lodging.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank R N V
gmor055, General Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you for comments. We are reviewing them.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
FALLBROOK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

I just spent 11 nights at this hotel. The rooms had everything I needed. Coffee, microwave, frig, free Internet, iron with ironing board. I woke up to a consistently good breakfast each morning. A few nights a week they offer a light dinner. The bed was extremly comfortable and one of my biggest needs is a comfortable pillow. Once again, Comfort Suites didn't disappoint with soft feather pillows. I was greeted in the afternoon with lemonade and iced tea in the lobby and cookies in the evening. Service was good as well. You know when you have everything you need, you really don't have to bother the front desk, but everytime I had a question, I was cheerfully given a answer. Thank you and well done staff!

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank flygirltoo
Thank you for your review!
Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

Our family stayed here for one night. Our room with two queen beds was clean and spacious enough for 4 people. Breakfast was good, with a nice choice of hot and cold food. Had a lot of laundry to do, everything worked perfectly fine and the manager didn't tire to change money to tons of quarters for washer and dryer. My daughter and I used the (large) pool and the (really hot) hot tub, nice and relaxing, and my husband the fitness center located in a corner of the pool area. Unfortunately we had to move on after just one night, but I would have liked to stay longer and would definitively recommend this place. We were especially lucky to get a free night because of loyalty points, but rates on the internet looked liked good value-for-money.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
We hope you get back this way again soon!
Carterville, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

This was our second stay here and it was just as nice as our first. The room was clean, quiet, and very comfortable. The clerk was friendly at check-in and they had a very good breakfast. Would stay here again. The room was $99.00 per night (with taxes $108.90).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TravelingBirdsWeAre
Thank you for sharing your review.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

I have been staying here off and on for about 7 years because my job requires it. Years ago, my husband and young children would accompany me on the weekend stay. It has always been great, the staff remembered us, was always friendly and would go out of their way to accommodate us to the best of their ability. The breakfast has a huge variety, the pool is bath tub warm and wonderful! They have even started to serve a small but very hearty dinner during the beginning of the week. The staff here in recent years is definitely not as friendly as it used to be. I travel a lot, the staff here needs to work in their appearances and how they greet and talk to their guests in comparison with other hotels in the area.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank stpattyspage
gmor055, General Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
Thank you for sharing your review. We are listening and working to make things better.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

I stayed here in January, the hotel is in a great location for getting to multiple stores, staff was super friendly. Breakfast was good and they do dinner a few nights a week! Rooms were clean and roomy! Would definitely stay here again! Thank you to Dorane and staff for making my stay a good one!!

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Awhousley
gmor055, General Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments with us. Our staff tries hard to make sure every guest has the best possible experience.
Grants Pass, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

We stayed at the other Salem location last year, and this one has a higher rating than the other, so we opted for it this summer. Big mistake. This hotel is in dire need of an upgrade... all the fixtures look worn - carpets, tile, tub, etc. Even the dresser/tv stand in our room had a broken drawer that didn't close properly.

There were creepy repair people lingering around at all times. The breakfast was substandard compared to what we've received at other locations. Just not our favorite Comfort experience... in fact, definitely the bottom of the barrel compared to the Albany, other Salem, and McMinnville locations which we thought were fantastic.

I'm sure it was an oversight on the part of housekeeping, but we also found nail clippers and toe nails between the bedside and bedside table on the floor. Kinda gross, and not what I wanted to see when I went to plug in my phone charger.

This one experience wasn't enough to deter us from frequenting the Comfort Suites line of hotels since we've had so many other positive experiences, but we certainly won't be back at this location again.

Room Tip: We always pick the top floor, but this location doesn't offer any vending or ice options on the...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank mzlove1974
We appreciate your feedback. Thank you for sharing your comments and review.