“Learned the difference between a "hotel" and a "motel"”

Days Inn Black Bear
Ranked #14 of 23 Hotels in Salem
“Learned the difference between a "hotel" and a "motel"”
Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

I mainly chose to stay here out of frugality and because they had an indoor pool. However, if I had to do it over again, I would have spent the extra $ to get a little nicer "hotel". The night employee was very friendly and helpful, especially since she had to come play "plumber" in our room because our toilet wouldn't flush. We ended up changing rooms because of it. In the next room, we experienced a small challenge with the shower drain, but since it was so late and we were all pretty tired, especially after dragging our suitcases up the stairs, then back down to the next room, I didn't want to mess around with reporting another issue. The only real amenities that we enjoyed here were the pool and spa, which were both surprisingly large and quite refreshing. We were pretty hungry after a couple hours of swimming, but we were afraid to leave our room at night because of the kinds of people who were hanging around the hotel and the parking lot. My cousin who lives near Salem says this is the "bad part" of town. Of course, she couldn't have told me that BEFORE I booked it! It was pretty noisy with the partying guests near us, as well as the noise from the freeway. Luckily, the heater in our room was also pretty loud, so it helped drown it out. The breakfast the next morning was free, but that was the only thing it had going for it. Plus, it was served in a separate building, which was quite a walk away from our room. My advice: spend the extra $10-$20 and stay elsewhere.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Pendleton, Oregon
Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

Horrible. Filthy broken doors. Noisy long term clients made this stay a visit to hell. Even had our car keyed possibly because the manager told them we complained and they saw what room we had. The staff told us they Dont use mops in bathrooms just quick wipe down with a towel. Seriously! Stay away from this one.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Salem hotels

Coos Bay, Oregon
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I am currently staying at this hotel for a conference and I'm very impressed. It's easy to find, literally right off the freeway, however no freeway noise to speak of at night. The room was nice and clean with a mini fridge and a microwave. Very spacious, with a very comfortable bed. Breakfast is provided and I thought it was very good, with waffles, doughnuts, bagels/toast, fruit, sausage, boiled eggs, cereals/oatmeal packets, coffee, juice, and milk. The breakfast room was well stocked and the staff was very friendly. The star of this place is the pool. There is a shallow 1 ft pool with a fountain in the middle for little kids and a regular pool that goes up to 9 feet (!!!!). There is also a MASSIVE hot tub which I loved. Though while I've been here there have literally been no other guests using the hot tub, if there had been, it would not have been awkward by any means. Bonus--free wi-fi with a great signal. This place is definitely worth the stay, and I would recommend it to anyone. It's not luxurious, obviously, but it met all my needs and then some. I would stay again if I randomly had to come to Salem again.

Room Tip: Being near the pool would be nice, as you have to walk outside to get to it.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Travelers also viewed these Salem hotels
Shilo Inn Suites - Salem
La Quinta Inn & Suites
The Grand Hotel in Salem
Best Western Pacific Highway Inn
Best Western Plus Mill Creek Inn
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#11 of 23 in Salem

Been to Days Inn Black Bear? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Days Inn Black Bear

Property: Days Inn Black Bear
Address: 1600 Motor Ct NE, Salem, OR 97301-1801 (Formerly Days Inn Salem)
Location: United States > Oregon > Salem
Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Children Activities (Kid / Family Friendly) Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
Ranked #14 of 23 Hotels in Salem
Hotel Class:2.5 star — Days Inn Black Bear 2.5*
The Days Inn Black Bear has 101 rooms and offers a complimentary Full, Hot breakfast every morning. The friendly, helpful staff at the Days Inn is ready to ensure an enjoyable stay for guests traveling on both business and pleasure. Located near Interstate 5 in Salem, Oregon the hotel offers all of the amenities to make a guest feel right at home. Our property has a Indoor heated pool and sps, exercise facility and two saunas. A tennis court and playground are also on site. Free over-sized vehicle parking and guest laundry facilities are also available for your convenience. All of the rooms have microwaves and refrigerators as well as irons and ironing boards and hair dryers. All have access to premium cable channels including HBO and free wifi. Pets are welcome for a $11 a day pet fee. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Days Inn Black Bear reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Days Inn Salem Hotel Salem