“Don't stay here, you'll be sorry”

Days Inn Black Bear
Ranked #14 of 23 Hotels in Salem
California
“Don't stay here, you'll be sorry”
Reviewed May 16, 2008

I would rate this place as marginal, at best. The noise level is incredible. We were fortunate enough that the weather was hot, so our air-conditioner was so loud it almost overcame the traffic noise.

This was the worst night's sleep I have gotten in a few years. Ah well, I won't make the same mistake again.

• Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Alberta
Reviewed August 12, 2007

The room at this hotel was such a disappointment. I think if it hadn't have smelled so badly we might have enjoyed it. We stayed for one night in a ground level room. The room was older but spacious with a small table to sit at with two chairs. The bathroom had a window. Unfortunately, the room smelled like sewage. We found out after complaining a few times that the room had a flood in it a few weeks before. We were told the tub flooded but we believe it was likely the toilet. We were reassured the carpets had been cleaned but we noticed a wet spot by the bathroom outside the door that smelled. We made sure we didn't walk around in bare feet. The manager did offer to put us up another hotel (although quite a cheap one) in the area as he told us there were no other rooms in the hotel available. We declined this as he offered it at 11 pm at night and we had to get up very early in the morning. He did not charge us for the room that night which saved us an argument about that. The breakfast in the morning was very poor. The eggs cold, white oil for creamer for coffee and the cheapest margarine one can buy. We won't be back.

• Stayed July 2007
    • Check in / front desk

Travelers are raving about these Salem hotels

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed July 12, 2007

We booked this last minute due to a bad experience at our pre visit stay. Hotel has quick access to food, freeway. Freeway noise wasn't bad at all. Staff was friendly, Pool area decent, you will need different keys for everything though.

Breakfast was simple but enough to start the day. There is a new Dennys with a Fred Meyers 1/2 block or so away. We had a large room, 2 queens, 1 twin. came with fridge & mic. Good space, 1 bed had a broken base, otherwise OK. I did report the problem. It was a good deal for the price. Check out was a bit slow until additional staff arrived.

• Liked — easy access & location
  • Disliked — broken bed.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank sebie
Bay Area, CA
Reviewed March 15, 2007

I recently stayed at this hotel on business. Being a government employee and limited to hotels that offer the government rate, I was limited in my choices. Other reviews in Trip Advisor said it was good, and my travel-mate colleague being interested in the big pool it has, I decided to stay there.

The pluses: It's convenient to the freeway and downtown, clean, and fairly comfortable. The pool, my colleague informed me, was nice. It is also relatively inexpensive. Staff were helpful and polite, even going so far as to take my colleague's shirt to the dry-cleaner's for him. It's also near to several restaurants including a Denny's, and a Fred Meyer store (if you're not familiar with Fred Meyers, they are sort of the original Walmart, only the quality of what they carry is much better and the prices correspondingly a bit higher. But there isn't much you can't buy there.) It's got a small fridge and a microwave, too, in the rooms.

The minuses: It's near the freeway and therefore noisy; the free breakfast is...well, let's say if you actually ate it, you'd pay for it...eeewww. My colleague liked it okay, but admitted that was because it was free. The food was lousy. The bed was fairly hard, too, which, if you prefer that , would be fine.

I'd stay here again, but only if I had to come here for business: I wouldn't do so for a pleasure trip.

• Liked — Staff were good; it was clean and seemed well-maintained.
  • Disliked — Noisy, bed too hard, and skip the free breakfast and go to a restaurant.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank CarolSP
seattle
Reviewed November 29, 2005

We stayed two nights at the Black Bear Best Western. My husband was on business in the area, and the kids and I tagged along for the weekend. The room was one of the largest I've ever seen. We had 2 queen beds (or maybe they were doubles?) and a twin. The hotel is old, but you could tell its had recent upgrades.

The kids LOVED the indoor pool, and spent hours in it. The wading area with the fountain was a HUGE hit with them. The free breakfast was pretty good. Liked the waffles (Saturday mornings offering), better then the biscuts and gravy on Sunday. Yhe microwave and fridge in the room were great!

Would have liked to have pool towels near the pool rather then over at the office. It was way to cold to have to go in search of towels.

The staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed November 2005, traveled on business
6 Thank hlbtimes2
Seattle, WA
Reviewed March 22, 2004

Things I liked about the BW New King's Inn: the room was generously sized, and so was the bathroom. There was a microwave and small fridge in the room. Great pool --very large, and kept pleasantly warm and clean. Clerestory windows give the pool an open, outdoor feel. Huge and very nicely tiled hot tub (spa). Individually locking saunas so you can undress totally or sauna as a couple-- there is a shower in the sauna room also. The work-out room is large with lots of really good quality equipment -- best I've ever seen, really. Breakfast is included in a pleasant, restaurant-like setting that even has a fireplace, and some outdoor seating for sunny days. There are the usual items plus a waffle maker, hard boiled eggs, fruit, bagels, etc. I understand that there is a hot item everyday -- scrambled eggs, whatever. There is a sun deck, a tennis court, and a very nice playground area for kids. The kiddie pool in the pool area is large and pleasant and even has a little fountain in it. Coffee, tea, hot cider etc is provided in the lobby and coffee makers are in the rooms with coffee, etc. Very nice soap in the rooms, everything quite clean. Downside -- there is highway noise -- but this place has so many advantages and is pleasant and comfortable in so many ways that I will ALWAYS make a point of stopping here on my way through. This is also the least expensive Best Western in town and totally deserves it's AAA three-star rating. It is an excellent value. I understand that it has been under the same family's management for over 20 years and the pride of ownership is obvious.

• Stayed March 2005