“Won't be back”

Days Inn Black Bear
Ranked #13 of 24 Hotels in Salem
Reviewed March 24, 2013

My two daughters and I stayed at the hotel on the night of March 22, 2013 and stayed in room 214. It was probably the worst hotel stay I have ever had. The woman who checked us in was very pleasant. We entered the room to find that the temperature wasn’t over about 55 degrees. We had difficulty getting the heater running and when we called the front desk, the person who responded was obviously put out at our request for help, spoke down to us and was not helpful. We finally got the heater running and it ran for a solid three hours just to get the temperature up to 67 degrees. This is not acceptable and all of us ended up with stuffy heads for the experience. I understand trying to save money, but the heaters should never be turned off completely and it shouldn’t take hours to get the rooms to a tolerable temperature. The beds were so hard, lying on the sidewalk would have been as soft. None of us got much sleep due to the hardness of the beds and I was barely able to move in the morning; from being so cold and stiff from the room and bed. My daughter found cigarette butts under the bed, so obviously, the room wasn’t properly cleaned after the prior guests. We were not able to take showers in the morning because the water that poured into the tub was brown and smelled. Fortunately, the sink water appeared clean. After the horrible night we had, we were afraid to try the breakfast offered, so I don’t know how it was. At checkout, the person at the front desk did not ask how our stay was and was occupied with complaining about the slowness of the computer rather than practicing customer service.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
MANU P, General Manager at Days Inn Black Bear, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Dear Ms. Lori,

Thank you for posting your response.

Sorry for the inconvenience you had while you stayed at our property. I have all ready sent you an email for explanation for the issue and I will look in to it.
I hope you use our property again in future. I will guarantee you will have better experience.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

I want to thank your front desk person Shelia for making my weekend stays here from February through March very accommodating and pleasant.

When I started staying here in February, I was concerned as the Fitness Center and Pool were not open in the morning at 6am as scheduled. Additionally, the Fitness Center had equipment that wasn't working and I thought that I should stay some place else. When I had to make some schedule changes, I spoke with Shelia and I whined too. She assisted me with my schedule changes, and the Fitness Equipment has become tolerable and has been open for me in the morning since. Shelia listened to my concerns and took action with pleasure. This lady really knows what customer service is all about!!!

Thank you Shelia for assisting me in my busy time away from home. Your smiling face and your eagerness to make sure that I am getting my needs met has been priceless. You are very much appreciated...you would make a great Manager!!! I wish you all the best.

Room 133 Weekend Tenant

ps my ratings are directly reflective of Shelia, as I cannot say the same for others.

Room Tip: Talk to Shelia ;}
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 17, 2013

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 14, 2013

i,ve stayed at this hotel many times and am have never been disappointed
the rooms are clean and dont stink like old cigarette smoke
mini fridge and microwave in the room
price is good
and a continental breakfast to go

Reviewed March 13, 2013

Its a bit of an older motel and that's ok. My biggest complaint is that the room was kind of dingy and the sheets did not appear to be very clean :(. The kids loved the pool and the breakfast was pretty good. The staff were very friendly.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

1  Thank Pj Z
Reviewed March 2, 2013

the room was very poorly maintained. the bathroom was in such disrepair my kids didnt want to use it!!! half the lights burned out broken electrical covers!!! the beds were on rickety wood blocks pool was dirty at bottom ect....

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mark S
MANU P, Manager at Days Inn Black Bear, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Dear Mr. Mark,
I am sorry for the Inconvenience you had while you stayed. I am very surprise to see all this problem in the room. After reading the review I checked the room to confirm, there is nothing like what you have mentioend. I checked all electrical outlet and none of the plate is broken. We vaccume the pool three times a week minumum or more to make sure it is neat and clean. I didnot see any problem in bathroom either. Once gain I am sorry for the Inconvenience. I hope you will use our proerty for your future stay.