“Nice surprise - will be back”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Jonathan's - CLOSED

Jonathan's
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: State Street
Deer Park, Illinois
“Nice surprise - will be back”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012 via mobile

A couple of business accociates and I went to Johnathans last night (a weekday). The place was empty - I mean we were the only people in there, so I immediately was concerned we made a bad choice. However, our server was very friendly and the food was quite good.

I travel a lot and eat out regularly, so I have many nice places to compare this place to. I had the special (parmigiana encrusted halibut) and my colleagues had the razor clams. My fish was great (nice flavorful crunchy outside) and my colleagues also said their meals were very good. The only complaint was the garlic mashed potatoes had no garlic.

We will come back again when we get back on town.

Dear MBruck,
Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor and I apologize for not responding sooner. Since your las vist, we have done a remodel and created a new all day menu along with a happy hour food menu. If you haven't been back to see the changes, I invite you to come in and see it on your next trip to Salem. If you get the chance, please ask for me, I would love to say hello.

Silverton, Oregon
“great food, service, wonderful atmosphere, lot of food for the price!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

it was a great place and the food was wonderful. You got a lot of food for the price and the service was great!

Dear Christine,
Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor and I apologize for not responding sooner. Since your las vist, we have done a remodel and created a new all day menu along with a happy hour food menu. If you haven't been back to see the changes, I invite you to come in and see it. If you get the chance, please ask for me, I would love to say hello.

Salem, Oregon
“We Shall Be Back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

There were four of us and everyone chose something different from the menu and all agreed the food was excellent. We also sampled the carrot cake and marionberry cobbler which were all yummy. They also have several on tap beers. Our waiter had a good knowledge of the menu and was first class.

• Visited July 2012
Dear Eweology,

Prescott, Arizona
“Great place for appetizers, drinks and conversation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2012

Let me start that the fact I share a name with this establishment had nothing to do with our reason for stopping here. We had business in the government complex and stopped here to continue our conversations in a more relaxed atmosphere. Boy, am I glad that we did!

Upon entering Jonathan's, I noticed a large, long mirrored bar that was spotless and well organized. Not being one to drink much hard liquor it at all, I am always amazed by how some bars allow themselves to become cluttered, disorganized and not at all appealing to the eye. Not here. This place as spotless.

We ordered a number of drinks, most of us wine. When I do happen to visit such an establishment, I am always wary of "house wine". It is usually stale and obscure, and almost always well over priced. Not so here - the regional Pinot offered was tasty and not at all "breathed out" as is often the case. The one guest that had ordered a stronger drink seemed to enjoy a solid pour.

With our libations we also wanted some appetizers, so we ordered a mixed dozen oysters )after all, we were at an Oyster Bar, right?) and loaded potato skins. The oysters were fresh, firm and delicious. Many people are wary of Oysters, having had a "bad one". I myself have fallen ill as the result of a not-so-fresh mollusk. However, these were great and had a great deal of flavor. They also had the liquor which so many places pour off.

The potato skins were unbelievable. They were LOADED with bacon, and cheese and scallions - absolutely unbelievable and more than enough for the four people enjoying them.

The atmosphere is great, being very comfortable and quiet enough to talk but not so quiet as to be stuffy or off-putting.

As I will be in Salem on business with some frequency, I plan to make my namesake my "go-to".

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank MRMED8R
SalemFoodGuy, Owner at Jonathan's, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
Thank you for the wonderful review!

Fredericksburg, Texas
“Very nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2012

A very nice restaurant -- good food, service, and atmosphere. Comfortable for couples or a larger group.

Visited June 2011